Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

6 speed Crosstrek question

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  serotta 
#1 ·
First time asking a question... like ever. I've got a 2019 Crosstrek with the 6 speed manual transmission. The question is, does anyone know the shifters "weight" to change gears? I just had carpal tunnel surgery and have a 5-7 pound weight limit on my right hand/arm and I'm trying to figure out just how long I'm going to be stuck driving my in town beater with a heater. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I'd have to bet that pressure hasn't been measured, accurately or otherwise. I had a cast on my right wrist several years ago that wouldn't let me shift my Z06 manual transmission. I just reached across with my left hand to shift while resting my cast on the steering wheel to keep the car in the road.
The other thing that worked well, if my wife was riding, she handled moving the linkage from the passenger seat once I depressed the clutch.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. After searching the web for the last 3 days I couldn't find any information on any vehicle. I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been a subject that has been explored more in depth! Maybe next weekend when I'm ready for my road trip, I'll give the reach over method a try and if it doesn't work I'll have to reschedule. I don't think I'd be able to train my dog to shift for me and she's typically my only passenger. :ROFLMAO:

#5 ·
Well, we ended up dumping a few inches of snow over night and I was forced to take the Subi out if I wanted to get to work. The reach over method worked really well, way better than I had envisioned it in my head. Actually turned out to be easier to drive my car than my work van that darts right every time I let go of the steering wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.