Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Who cares, really? Dull is only a matter of taste.

This is another typical example of car snobs. Europe is full of them.
Let them drive their non dull Alfa Romeos or vintage MGs. They need a goodlooking car because they spend most of their time looking at them while they're waiting for the mechanic to come fix their umpteenth breakdown.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Wow, that was a pretty snobbish article on every car they described. But obviously people still buy these cars because they like them for their own reasons. Who cares if someone else thinks its dull?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ahhh... Car review snobs. Lets face it... They are writers who couldn't get jobs at the big networks, so blog online and think its cool cuz they are GIVEN a car to drive. Their perspectives are skewed simply for the fact that they don't earn their cars like we do!

(Blows off the review and waves her hand casually in the air)... Ehhh.... This is why, after the first 3 reviews I read, I quit looking at them. Of course... I rarely agree with movie critics either! Ha!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Whoever wrote and created the list clearly didn't spend a lot of time with those cars...

·
Registered
800 Posts
avimia hit the nail on the head about auto bloggers. The flipside of the internet giving us virtually infinite information is that everyone can become a "journalist". And unfortunately articles like "5 cars you will HATE" are easy to write and will attract more readers than a very well researched discussion of a single car that speaks to both its strengths and weaknesses.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hehehehe Alex. Amen to that!

Perhaps we should all start a blog called: "5 Blogs Full of Sh*t Because the Writers Don't OWN the Cars They Write About".

(heads out down the road to love life in her her new TREK.. instead of just writing about it).

·
Registered
800 Posts
avimia said:
Hehehehe Alex. Amen to that!

Perhaps we should all start a blog called: "5 Blogs Full of Sh*t Because the Writers Don't OWN the Cars They Write About".

(heads out down the road to love life in her her new TREK.. instead of just writing about it).
I'd read it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Though I agree with him on the versa, I bought the crosstrek Due to exactly the opposite reasoning. I absolutely love the styling and it's exhilarating to drive. In fact everyone that has seen it or driven my car has expressed the same thing. Don't believe everything you read especially one persons internet opinion.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The XV Crosstrek is way higher off the ground and attempts to capture the glory once held by the Outback as a pseudo-off-roader, but misses the mark with weird, almost Aztek-ish styling, a 148hp engine lashed to a flaccid CVT, and one of the worst audio interfaces in the business when you opt for the navigation system.
I don't think this is far off the mark, and I also think most of us knew this going in. And it DOES capture the glory of the old Outback! Granted, it's not a particularly exciting car. Great utility tool though, very functional, and kind of cheeky with the cladding and high clearance, odd colors.

Pretty much everyone agrees it should have a 6sp manual with turbo option. That would spice it up a bit. The nav system is said to be pretty bad. I thought they were kind of a waste in the high-end euro cars when they were a couple of grand, but this one seems to be a total waste. Garmin has a better option. ;)

The rest of the comments were fairly positive. And there's nothing else out there like it, so there. Once I get mine setup to tow behind the motorhome I'm going to be one happy camper. Thumbs+ I get to be the test-dummy for BlueOx - they sent me a towing baseplate to trial fit as they have not had one in for an install. The Imprezza/WRX one should work, the chassis is identical.

·
Registered
421 Posts
This author is entitled to their opinion. Even though we don't agree with it. I don't think my car is dull. It's small but not dull.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Meh, the article doesn't really bother me. I disagree with the note about the styling (personal preference), the CVT and the low HP. I mean, they are correct, it does have 148hp, but, as we all agree on, it doesn't feel like it's too underpowered. They are correct about the terrible audio interface, though.

They then go on to say that it does have "surprising off road ability" so if you're looking for that then it is a good choice. Well, that's a big reason people buy this car -- so they can have some off road capability for snowy areas, camping, rough terrain, etc. It's kind of the purpose of the car, otherwise you would just get an Impreza.

In the end it seems like all they are getting at is that a low to mid $20k car has some flaws but if you are looking for the options it offers then it can be a good purchase. Seems true with just about any car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The issue most car reviewers have is that they go from driving a CTS-V one week to an AMG the next. One day a 148 hp car comes their way and they are not reviewing the car, rather they compare it to what they had just driven.

I take very little stock into what any reviewer says. They don't speak for me, most of the time.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Chuck said:
The issue most car reviewers have is that they go from driving a CTS-V one week to an AMG the next. One day a 148 hp car comes their way and they are not reviewing the car, rather they compare it to what they had just driven.

I take very little stock into what any reviewer says. They don't speak for me, most of the time.
Very true. I am much more interested in consumer reviews and boards like this rather than the professional car reviewer. They usually have some decent insights into a few pieces of the car, or can frame it in a historical trend of that manufacturer or car type, but I'm much less interested in their opinions about driving it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dull cars, suv's? I dunno, I flew into Denver and they were out of rental cars so they gave me a GMC Denali. the big one, with a small v8. What a gawdawful car that is. Sucked gas, hard to park, shifted ALL the time. No way. They sell them things like hotcakes. And it was black, looked just like a TV FBI car. LOL.

At the time I thought my GLK was WAY nicer. The 'trek isn't nearly as big, but it gets 30mph instead of 13. And it's easier to drive and park.

Some will say the big ones are great if you have to tow. But with the small motor in those things they still can't tow much. No thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.