Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Browsing the internet for a Subaru XV-specific forum, and here I am! (I'm no newbie to Subarus, I have the same username on many other car and Subaru-specific forums)

Well, the Subaru XV promises exactly what I want from a Subaru:

* compact
* sporty handling (well, for what it is anyways)
* high ground-clearance for decent off-road capability compared to other regular passenger cars (NOT off-road kings like a Jeep Wrangler).

And I hope more members join in and contribute to make this forum a decent technical database regarding the XV for the future! I am awaiting technical talk and adventure/off-road threads :D

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Hello! Welcome and thank you for joining, it sounds like the Crosstrek is a great option for you. Have you had a chance to drive one yet (or do you already own one)?

The forum is small now but we will continue to grow and turn into a great discussion board for the Crosstrek. Please, be more than happy to tell all of your Subaru enthusiast friends about the site :).

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha! An XV Crosstrek is a long ways away with my income (or severe lack of).

Perhaps in 1-2 years, I should be able to buy one, preferably pre-owned. I don't want to have the issue of new-car depreciation.

My previous car is a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon with a 5-speed manual that I beat to the point where the suspension, drivetrain, and engine all are in need of replacement. Sadly, she's rotting away in the backyard.

I hope to carry my many mistakes as a lesson and intend to treat the XV Crosstrek with more love and care, since I learned the various maintenance quirks of Subarus the hard way with my old Outback.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
70 Posts
awesome videos! most of the off road driving I am going to be doing with my Crosstrek will be on the beach. we have really deep, sandy beaches here but i don't think the crosstrek will have a problem navigating them at all.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regarding sand, I think lowering the tire pressure may be necessary. Other than that, I tend to go full-throttle just to get out to avoid getting stuck.

And since I've shared that I enjoy off pavement driving, let me show you guys the kind of roads I do enjoy. Here are two local gems :)

Calaveras road

Mount Hamilton Drive July 30th 2011 Highlights

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PhilForce said:
Welcome aboard and great videos. I think you and I are into Suby's for the same reason...
The engineering advantages of all the Subaru technology (low center-of-gravity, AWD, etc), off-road capability of the raised-suspension models, and general good balance between soft off-roader and enjoyable mountain-pass carving fun?

I enjoy getting around, adventuring off, intentionally getting lost. I feel safer doing that in a Subaru, both for the capability and the safety (hell, they've practically got Volvo beat in a few safety aspects).

·
Registered
70 Posts
tire pressure is definitely a big factor in beach driving along with ground clearance which the crosstrek has enough of. power isn't too big of an issue unless you are going crazy in un-driven territory.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Twist2Stop said:
You floor it in sand AWDFreak?
Sorry for the late reply, but yes.

From a standstill, gotta get the momentum going immediately (in anything loose! whether it be mud, sand, whatever is loose!), otherwise, risk getting stuck due to lack of momentum. When driving off-road, one should not be afraid to go full-throttle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
AWDfreak said:
Twist2Stop said:

From a standstill, gotta get the momentum going immediately (in anything loose! whether it be mud, sand, whatever is loose!), otherwise, risk getting stuck due to lack of momentum. When driving off-road, one should not be afraid to go full-throttle.
is that true with most/all AWD/4x4 vehicles, or mainly just the Crosstrek since it is a little underpowered?

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AWDking said:
AWDfreak said:
Twist2Stop said:

is that true with most/all AWD/4x4 vehicles, or mainly just the Crosstrek since it is a little underpowered?
Any factors that will hamper your off-road capability (for example, lack of a dual-range transmission, pavement-only highway tires, etc).

My issues resulted from:
* no low-range
* did not reduce tire pressure for soft terrain
* pavement-only all-season highway tires
* not being aggressive enough on launches, which got me stuck (AND NEVER AGAIN IN THE SAND!)

All those factors taking into consideration, and driving like one is on pavement, is a recipe for disaster. With that many factors against the driver, one must be aggressive to get momentum going. Otherwise, risk getting stuck.

As for 2WD/FWD/RWD in sand or soft terrain, that's always a gamble, unless one has the optimal-for-sand rear-engine, RWD layout (AKA the RR layout).

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Twist2Stop said:
Have you ever floored a 4wd truck/jeep in sand?
I've floored an AWD (NOT 4WD) "truck" (actually a full-size unibody vehicle) in sand, works nicely in sand, especially with the larger-footprint of the larger LT-metric size tire compared to a typically-smaller P-metric size tire.

I would imagine a genuine 4WD truck would feel more planted in sand.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have never had an AWD in deep sand except my father's Outback XT. When driving it, I just applied what 30 years of driving in deep sand taught me when I drove the Subaru though. And that is, one of the last things you want to do is floor it in sand.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Twist2Stop said:
I have never had an AWD in deep sand except my father's Outback XT. When driving it, I just applied what 30 years of driving in deep sand taught me when I drove the Subaru though. And that is, one of the last things you want to do is floor it in sand.
Is it bad for the car or just a bad idea in general since it won't get you anywhere?

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Twist2Stop said:
If you do have off-road experience, I think it would be a good idea to write up a nice tutorial on off-road driving. It would especially be relevant, since the XV Crosstrek is the kind of light off-roading vehicle that will require good driving technique to get anywhere a full-size truck can. I'd greatly appreciate it :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts