Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I drove down to Washington DC to buy two bikes from a guy on craigslist. I used to ride a lot, and my wife barely knows how to ride a bike. We are looking at getting back into biking, so I threw down a little bit of money to pick up two used trek mountain bikes for us to play around with. I was pretty sure I could fit them in the back of the crosstrek without a bike rack, but I wasn't 100% sure...

Luckily, they both fit! I took a few pics to show off the cargo capacity of the XV with the seats folded down:

[hr]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nice. I've got to bring 3 bikes from the Boston area up to Vermont in the next month or so and my plan is to put them in the back like you did!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Very cool Alex...I've read about two bikes being able to fit but its nice to actually see it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That's a terrible way to transport bikes. This is better but requires a larger purchase

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
I thought that would get a few laughs. I just got a U Haul hitch and a bike rack. I am an avid biker and my new XV is my new biking vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
3 hours after picking up my XV I went to HomeDepot to get all the stuff for the new floors. This is 26 boxes (over 600 SQ ft - 754 lbs total) of traffic master laminate flooring, 6-100 sq ft rolls of padding, plus all the other tools to do the install, and 5 total gallons of paint for the living room, hallway, and dinning room.

I'd say there is plenty of cargo room!

Doc

·
Registered
421 Posts
DocMoore said:
3 hours after picking up my XV I went to HomeDepot to get all the stuff for the new floors. This is 26 boxes (over 600 SQ ft - 754 lbs total) of traffic master laminate flooring, 6-100 sq ft rolls of padding, plus all the other tools to do the install, and 5 total gallons of paint for the living room, hallway, and dinning room.

Doc
Wow. Did this bottom out the suspension?

·
Registered
500 Posts
silverrey said:
According to Subaru, you should have been able to have both of them upright in the back, with the detached wheels.
I can never rely on those statements... I'm a tell fella... so my bikes are the largest or second-largest sizes. Then my seat post sticks up considerably too. I haven't yet tried, but I'd be shocked if either of my bikes would stand up without both wheels, let alone losing the front wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nope, not a bit. Suspension was just fine.

Rob

Ikon said:
DocMoore said:

Doc
Wow. Did this bottom out the suspension?

·
Registered
130 Posts
DocMoore said:

Doc
Impressive.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Great pics. I just had about 15 large, metal camera cases in the back of mine on Tuesday and it did great. Filled up almost the whole rear with the seats down but it wasn't too tight or obtrusive.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It does have great cargo room for its size with the back seat down. With it just being my wife and I, I cant think of much I wouldn't be able to haul an normal day.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Well would you look at that! Outstanding. Who really needs more than that capacity, typically? I applaud that effort and the impending work load you've committed to! I hate to be critical, but we Americans do so oversize our vehicle picks compared to what we actually use the space for. We've all seen it...a neighbor has a newborn and all of the sudden there's a Suburban parked in the drive! Next time you're at a traffic light- look around and see the size of the vehicles in you immediate area vs. the amount of occupants or materials being carried. I defend the right to free choice as in buy/drive any darn vehicle you might want. However, when I see the waste that goes on in our natural resources....I do sometimes shake my head and wonder if we couldn't, shouldn't do better and be more aware of our footprint and what we're leaving or rather NOT leaving to our successors....woe fella- where was I going?! Oh yea- A Subaru is basically all the vehicle we'll ever need!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RubySu said:
Well would you look at that! Outstanding. Who really needs more than that capacity, typically? I applaud that effort and the impending work load you've committed to! I hate to be critical, but we Americans do so oversize our vehicle picks compared to what we actually use the space for. We've all seen it...a neighbor has a newborn and all of the sudden there's a Suburban parked in the drive! Next time you're at a traffic light- look around and see the size of the vehicles in you immediate area vs. the amount of occupants or materials being carried. I defend the right to free choice as in buy/drive any darn vehicle you might want. However, when I see the waste that goes on in our natural resources....I do sometimes shake my head and wonder if we couldn't, shouldn't do better and be more aware of our footprint and what we're leaving or rather NOT leaving to our successors....woe fella- where was I going?! Oh yea- A Subaru is basically all the vehicle we'll ever need!
Good post Ruby. The logic of what I want vs what I will actually use was one of the things that helped whittle down the list of cars I might buy. I really love the look of Xterras, but I can't say I need all the space in exchange for them mpgs. And my wife and I are short- the crosstrek is a perfect height to mount things on the roof easily.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts