Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one bad and one great as well as my dealing with the USAA car buying service:

Bad: While in Jacksonville, NC we went by National Volkswagon/Subaru to check out the XV premium they had in stock. The salesman admittedly didn't know much about Subarus to begin with but then just made up answers to our questions. Call me evil, but I like to ask questions I already know just to see what kind of person I'm dealing with. So I already wasn't all that impressed from the start. We test drove the car knowing that we wanted a Limited with the moonroof/nav ect, but this guy was set on selling us that car. After the test drive we were then cornered with one of the most pathetic attempts to push us into buying that car I've ever seen. Needless to say, we just walked away.

On a side note, before all this I took my outback there to have two codes diagnosed. One was for the CAT and the other for the IAT sensor. They told me I needed an entirely new CAT for around $1400 and that the CAT was making the IAT sensor bad. A simple understanding of the system would show that the CAT can't do anything to affect the IAT! Blew me away. I replaced IAT sensor and found out that the gas out in NC was an odd blend. I researched gasoline online and found a few stations that had a better blend. Light went out. 3,000 miles and a dozen fuel ups later...no light.

Great: We get to Albuquerque and figured we'd swing by one of the local dealerships to see their stock. Galles and Davis was the closest to our apartment so we went there. They had a bunch of XVs on the lot, but no Limiteds that met our desires....until we stepped into the showroom. There she was, the metallic grey Limited with nav, moonroof, body molding, aero bars, ect. Only thing missing were back seat covers and the rear bumper guard. We sat down with the salesman and started talking numbers. I had already researched the car through USAA which had determined $28,500 for our options, not to mention USAA would give us a pretty good APR for our loan. After about 10 minutes of talking, a trip by the salesman to the manager, we were offered the car for $27,000, all the options we wanted as well as tax/title/fees included.

While I didn't go through USAA to buy the car, their reputation seemed strong enough to get us a better deal than had we gone through them. I suspected that since Galles and Davis didn't deal with USAA they may have lost a few customers to the other dealership in town and hence their aggressive pricing, but that is pure speculation. Also, since I didn't buy through USAA I didn't get the super low APR, but the APR they gave me was just slightly higher. The difference in interest over the life of the loan was still below the difference in price I paid....so still a deal for me!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Congratulations on the new XV. Excellent color choice. We found the same to be true with our local Subie dealer, they do not participate in the USAA program and yet we got the exact car that we wanted for 1400 under the USAA "Local" price, basically $100 under MSRP. We would have appreciated the discount in the Interest Rate, but the Dealer price erased what we will pay in interest on the loan. Our nearest Subaru dealer that would honor the USAA price was 57 miles from home, as versus 23 miles to Hilton Head Subaru. Enjoy your XV.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Glad to hear you finally found the one you wanted! Subaru was offering a 2.9% APR loan here so I jumped on that. It was really easy to qualify for plus employee pricing saved me a bundle!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts