Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

A two beer Hood Protector installation

7K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Wingnut 
#1 ·
Beer not required, But maybe a flashlight might be suggested to align the holes in the H.P. to the holes in the clips on the hood itself. Or maybe that's a result of the two beers !!!
Abbreviated installation instructions, took only four readings. Beer Number One !?
Positioning marks for clip and hole alignment in the H.P. is critical, not that there is any drilling required (shudder !), but setting the positions of the clips to screw the H.P. into is critical. Even with care a bit of adjustment might be required, but easy enough to do.
Worth the time and effort, I love the look ! Beer number two !!!
And by saving the labor cost, maybe now I can afford the $35 armrest tray !.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It almost looks as though the clips for the hood protector could scratch the hood. Kinda defeating the purpose?

Looks good though. I believe someone here plastidipped their hood protector, haven't seen what it looks like, but heard it was cool.

#3 ·
Ya, talk about anxiety ! The sweat wasn't all from the heat of the day !
The "kit" comes with tough little clear and stick on plastic patches that go under the clips. Yes they are removable. If you had the dealer install the H.P. they hopefully would use them too. The stick on patches also go under where the spacers (bumperons) might touch the paint. Again, things one might not notice if the dealer did the installation. And screwing the H.P. down onto the clips ! Oiii ! How far is too far? But by that time, there's no turning back ! You're practically done ! So, care & caution is the key, but I'd call this a "permanent" accessory.

#4 ·
I really like my hood deflector and YES! the clear stick-ons that wrap the hood for installing the metal brackets are tough as nails and do the job. If you ever need to remove it, the paint is unharmed under the stick-ons.

NICE JOB!!!

#7 ·
I like the way you think Wing! To that I'll add, if its a Friday or Saturday night...better just get a case 8). AND anyone who pays a dealer to install a hood protector must turn in their MAN CARD! No exceptions! Thank goodness this site is full of DIY ers!

#9 ·
I'm thinkin I'm in good company with the beer and DIY folks ! We need an east coast get together ! Think we're hitting critical mass here for attention and attendance.
Anyhow, after two beers, I hand over the keys to someone and just sit and smile, or sleep...or both, I'm a woose and a cheap drunk ! Hard to DIY when you're so "relaxed" !
XV MUST have looked good to the grandson too, he invited his "cool" buddy to ride along for the donut run ! HA !

#10 ·
Okay shamed by my fellow clubcrosstrekers I decided to tackle the hp install this am before the temps hit triple numbers.

I gotta tell you those instructions suck big time. I got it on but I never did find the location for the larger metal clips. I just used the 4 small ones. 2 close to the center near the hoodlatch and 2 far wide near the fenders.

Is it 5 o'clock somewhere?

#11 ·
Hey Wingnut ! Howdy !
Now you know why I called it a "2 beer installation" ! There were probably more (3or4) somewhere down the line!!! So, Ya, the manufacturer didn't spend lots of ink money or time on his instructions ! That's where intuition or a big hammer come in handy ! Ha !
Back to your big clips and only four screws. Those two "center" clips are the only real parts screwed onto the hood.. Hate to have that thing fluttering off somewhere down the highway.

So, the "center holes" (really 12" right and left of the real center of the hood), get the funny looking clips, and the wing-like, almost like mini wallboard/ mirror hanging, expansion devices, go into the clip hole that is square. I had white plastic wings with silver washers and screws. And they screw from under the lip of the hood, and there are already holes there under the lip for them.
Slide the clips into place (under where the "center" HP holes are, insert the "wings" thru the square holes, put the screw into the wing's hole and tighten. And you probably don't even need to remove the HP to do it !

Hey, here's hoping this helps and doesn't get relegated to the "foreign" instructions basket ! Have a beer first !!!
Regards, Chas

#16 ·
Hey Wingnut ! That's a Subaru OEM I guess it's called...perfect fit. Shop on the web. I'm sure Patrick Accessories.com might nave them. My plates got all banged up somehow ;o) and I just could NOT hag em on the front. Went to a local auto store for the rear bracket. It's just CLASSY !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.