Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago I went to dealer to get oil and filter to do 15K service. I've let dealer do it to this point but just figured I'd take over especially since last time they failed to tighten oil filter properly and it leaked out around oil filter base. It's also been overfilled twice. I like it filled right to the line. Anyway, while at the parts/service counter I had a conversation with service manager. He asked how car was doing- well- just fine except the paint I replied. We strolled around to my car and I pointed out the dozen or so nicks to him. A young service technician was nearby and commented that "a single truck could have done all that". I said yes, but in fact, they came one by one. I told them how I hand washed the car once a week and wax once a month. How I watched them accumulate. The service manager could tell it had a good coat of wax. He slowly dragged his hand across the hood and said "this is a problem". Long story short, (too late) he offered to have hood repainted. I thought that was above and beyond and honestly, I didn't want to go down that road. "How about some touch up paint and a hood protector", I asked? "Would that be good enough" he responded? "Oh yes" said a happy Bob!

Today I picked it up (took a day or two to arrive) and installed. Now that's what I call "GREAT SERVICE"!! Hats off to Crews Subaru in North Charleston, SC!

Only took 30 minutes to install if you're thinking of doing it. Veeerrryyy Easy- no drilling- only takes Phillips head screwdriver ;)

Oh, I almost forgot- picked up aluminum rear carrier this weekend at Harbor Freight tent sale for $69.99. Has a 500lb load max. Some assembly...< 30 minutes. Very happy with quality. Highly recommend.

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thats awesome that the dealer took that good care of you Ruby! Glad to hear the hood protector went on easy as well.

·
Registered
603 Posts
What a great story, RubySu, and so glad to know someone out there went above and beyond! Helps to restore a bit of faith in the service industry for sure.

Hood protector looks great on your car! I love the XV hood protector. The way it's curved over the edge just enhances the car.

You know, when I first bought my car and they wanted to install the clear bra on it, I was not a fan. After I studied up about it, and now.... Knowing how thin the Subie paint is.... Woooo boy, am I ever glad I did it! Then my dealer told me he provided a higher trade-in value on another fellow's car because it had a clear bra, well... that sealed it for me. It definitely had me looking at mods in a whole different way.... Modding for longer life and protection now seems to be the thing.

So now that you have added the protector, what's next on your list?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
avimia said:
What a great story, RubySu, and so glad to know someone out there went above and beyond! Helps to restore a bit of faith in the service industry for sure.

Hood protector looks great on your car! I love the XV hood protector. The way it's curved over the edge just enhances the car.

You know, when I first bought my car and they wanted to install the clear bra on it, I was not a fan. After I studied up about it, and now.... Knowing how thin the Subie paint is.... Woooo boy, am I ever glad I did it! Then my dealer told me he provided a higher trade-in value on another fellow's car because it had a clear bra, well... that sealed it for me. It definitely had me looking at mods in a whole different way.... Modding for longer life and protection now seems to be the thing.

So now that you have added the protector, what's next on your list?
Thanks!
You were indeed correct to have the clear installed...dealer steered you properly. Had I known about the paint, I would have certainly done the same. I have no regrets though and was really happy they did step up and help me out. You're right- it doesn't happen often these days but maybe its just good karma!

I've been kicking around the idea of putting the Subaru orange spoiler on the rear of car and getting the orange pearl grille for the front. Just a splash of color on my black platform. I have the vinyl emblems "Subaru XV" on the sides and I think these two additions would help tie it together. I just don't want to spend the $$ now as a substantial amount of my free capital is tied up in a real estate project ...and, as you know, every dollar counts. Everything in its own time. I guess if I still have the itch for it 6 mos. from now, I can put it on my Christmas list from the Mrs. 8)

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
I got the metal cargo carrier from Harbor freight for $50. I like the black better than the aluminum

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ikon said:
I got the metal cargo carrier from Harbor freight for $50. I like the black better than the aluminum
Ours are not the same. You paid $20 less because you bought their steel carrier....not the aluminum. The aluminum list for $129.99 and, on occasion, they put them on sale for $70. Color was not a factor in my purchase.

Both have 500 lb carrying capacity with the proper hitch. The biggest difference is one will rust and one won't.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had the hood deflector installed before I picked up the car and I know it has saved a bunch of minor paint damage. I've watched gravel bounce off it and fly over the top of the car, a few bits have hit the windshield but no chips yet. Has anybody tried the new spray on stuff like clear bra that you apply yourself? I keep seeing ads for it on the Velocity channel.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You did right to do so with the protector. I haven't tried the product, but it looks like something worthwhile. Ive always been pleased with any 3M product I've used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts