Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First had to add this shark sticker...I love it :) lol I also added the same sticker to our Toyota Tacoma :)

Second we added the license bracket with the US Navy with dolphins license plate for hubby since he was in Navy for 6 years!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Looks great!

A suggestion for you.... Saw it on another forum and made a world of difference with the sport grille.... Use satin black on the condenser behind the grille. Looks awesome!

Before paint

After paint

With grille installed

Sent from my iPad II using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
tmorgan66030 said:
First had to add this shark sticker...I love it :) lol I also added the same sticker to our Toyota Tacoma :)

Bravo!! I'm so sick of seeing those stupid things on SUV's. Or the baby on board. Is that an excuse to drive like a moron???

:eek:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Xtrekr said:
Looks great!

A suggestion for you.... Saw it on another forum and made a world of difference with the sport grille.... Use satin black on the condenser behind the grille. Looks awesome!

Before paint

After paint

With grille installed

That looks awesome! Is it a special paint? Also is hard to get grill off to do this?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bravo!! I'm so sick of seeing those stupid things on SUV's. Or the baby on board. Is that an excuse to drive like a moron???

:eek:
[/quote]

Yeah hubby had originally seen one on another Subaru page with a dinosaur but I couldn't find it but the shark works just as well!lol Couldn't resist doing it! I love it ;) We like to be rebels!haha

·
Registered
243 Posts
CJBROWN said:
I used to have one of those except instead of "Baby on Board" it said "Ask me if I care". This was in mid 80s when those things first appeared and people were not amused. I was 17 and driving my modded 79 cutlass with about 350hp sideways most of the time so that was kind of the point.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Xtrekr said:
Looks great!

Before paint

After paint

With grille installed

I like that. Also wondering if it's a special paint? Do you just spray it on or do you have to remove the condensor first?

·
Registered
927 Posts
No need to use special paint or need to remove the condenser. Just use blue painters tape to mask it off and shoot it. I suggest Rustoleum satin black. Works great on my jeep

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
927 Posts
The condenser is part of the AC system.. Much like a radiator but for freon of the AC unit. A thin layer of paint on the fins does not affect the performance at all.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I won't ... What affects the efficiency is bent or flattened fins. The fins direct air to the coils...which is where the freon flows. You are only painting the fins, not the coils which are inside the fins.

Here is a pic of a typical condenser ...you can see the coils are inside the fins

·
Registered
194 Posts
The fins act as a heat sink to pull heat off the coils. A little paint won't affect how that heat exchange works.

I would still use a light coat of laquer though, it's very thin and dries fast. Can always re-coated down the road if it gets funky, too many bugs, or chipped off. I would not use a heavy enamel paint on them. But that's just me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is my ORANGE XV with the sports grill and i just used flat black enamel in a spray can just a few light coats is all i did i think it finished the grill of just right.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Xtrekr said:
I won't ... What affects the efficiency is bent or flattened fins. The fins direct air to the coils...which is where the freon flows. You are only painting the fins, not the coils which are inside the fins.

Here is a pic of a typical condenser ...you can see the coils are inside the fins

Interesting. Here is a quote from a popular radiator paint manufacturer. "Standard engine paints are too thick for radiator use because they can interfere with heat transfer and block air flow between the cooling fins." Must be a marketing ploy.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Twist2Stop said:
Interesting. Here is a quote from a popular radiator paint manufacturer. "Standard engine paints are too thick for radiator use because they can interfere with heat transfer and block air flow between the cooling fins." Must be a marketing ploy.
Yeah, sounds like a reason to sell radiator paint!

·
Registered
927 Posts
I wouldn't use engine paint on a radiator either... a cheap satin or flat black in a thin coat is all it needs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts