Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They all make a drop in filter, does anyone make ram air or cold air intakes for these engines?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been looking into swapping the air filter as well.
I've asked my car tech guy about the drop in filters. He's looking into it.
K&N don't make an open filter for the XV. Don't know if that's a bad thing, because I had an open filter on my current car and my "check engine" light kept going on because of a slight imbalance in the air mix.

·
Registered
927 Posts
CAI's are good and advantageous for certain makes and models, but not all. Just because it says you will gain power, doesn't mean you will. Ample testing over a period of time will only tell if an aftermarket CAI is beneficial ( performance-wise) I personally don't like CAI's for the type of driving and terrain I am in.... windy and dusty. I had a K&N CAI on my 2500 Avalanche and had to clean it every 3 months due to dust and wind out here... high desert will produce some weirdness sometimes.

I don't believe there is a 'KIT' so to speak on the street for an aftermarket CAI.... if there is not a benefit... why would you waste your time?

I will most likely go with a filter upgrade as well.... just not sure if I want to go K&N or A'PEXI

Oiling is a pain.... hmmmm

http://apexi-usa.com/shop/index.php/subaru-drop-in-filter-1-power-intake-panel.html

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spyder720 that's a pretty cool article about intakes. About the A'pexi filter it states all you need to do is wash it with water. I can't see getting all the dust out of a filter with just water. Maybe it's me.

I had a DRY AEM CAI on my Honda, it worked well; but, I got tired of spending the loot to wash it with the chemicals. It was like just having a normal filter cost wise. So I just opted for a K&N cone filter. I used a pre-charger mesh that filters prior to hitting the actual filter media that worked really well. It was like a mesh sock over the filter.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I personally would avoid the use of the oiled filters. The oil could possibly mess with the sensors in the air intake system.

·
Registered
194 Posts
+1
Keep the stock paper filter. It traps more dirt and there's not enough volume or velocity to make any difference anyway. Total waste of $$.

Spend it on something more fun. ;)

·
Registered
714 Posts
^ That! Subaru engineers these intakes VERY well. Look at the newer WRX, you HAVE to tune it if you install an intake because the only way to get more power is to have larger piping which requires re scaling your MAF sensor. They put insane amounts of money into designing the most efficient car possible, do you really think that slapping an intake designed in 1/8th the time and on 1/10th the budget will make an improvement without tuning the car to use larger piping.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Anyone considered a Perrin filter? No direct XV one yet but if you do enough cross referencing there is one that fits.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kyakdvl said:
Anyone considered a Perrin filter? No direct XV one yet but if you do enough cross referencing there is one that fits.
This "Foam" filter sounds like it's similar to a K&N since they both use oil. I would buy a performance drop-in filter for the shear purpose of saving money from having to buy paper filters each time. I wouldn't expect anything else really.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts