Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... after searching and reading everything I could find over the last couple of months I still can't find any definitive answers.

What I'd like to do is replace the poor factory nav unit with an aftermarket one. Will I be able to reuse anything like the BT mic, GPS antenna, or SiriusXM antenna?

I see where there's some aftermarket wiring adapters available that may allow some of the above but it's all really confusing to me.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Basically all units with the correct universal connectors will work for Subaru. Not knowing how much you're willing to spend and what are the most important options to you. Go to crutchfield maybe they can inform you of a unit that most suites you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking at a couple of Kenwood units at Crutchfield. They've been very non-committal on whether the the Kenwoods are plug & play.

My research seems to indicate that everything in the OEM unit connects through the main connector. Is this not the case?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I purchased a remanufacturer Rosin Navigation unit through ebay! Been happy with it. All of these aftermarket units are going to need some kind of special connectors to adapt to your car. The manufacture wants you to buy and use their stuff so they don't make it easy to unscrew and screw in another unit from Walmart. I suggest find/decide what you like, then look at what harnesses and adapters you need to make it work. Allot of info out here just Google it. http://ae64.com/aftermarket-HU-install-parts-Impreza-BT.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
With the proper harnesses you can connect an aftermarket head unit. About the only thing that will work out of the box will be the antenna, the backup cam, and the various center console inputs.
For steering wheel controls you will need something like the Axxess box to interface between the Subaru language and the head unit. With the box you can regain most of the controls, but not all. You should be able to program the box to get good usable functions though.
As far as the mic goes, forget about it. The impedence is so strange that it just wont work with any of the modern head units. The same goes with the gps antenna. It will only work with an unit that has the same manufacturer of the hardware.
That being said, I love having my Pioneer head unit. It puts out more clean power, has more outputs, and makes expansion a breeze. And it sounds great!
For even more info, check out www.nasoic.com or diyma.com. Don't forget ae64.com for all of the harnesses.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts