Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Aftermarket head units, steering wheel control compatibility

13K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Rrizz 
#1 ·
I haven't taken delivery of my XV yet, but I want to start looking into this in case I decide the head unit or sound aren't great.

If I should decide to replace my head unit* with an aftermarket, where should I start to look for one that's compatible with the Subaru steering wheel controls, console USB/Aux inputs, and OEM microphone? Is this something that would even be found relatively easily, or would I have to give up on compatibility with some or all of these?

I'm not big on having a ridiculous sound system to make everyone else hear what I'm listening to, but I do like to have a system with a decent sound. But it's more important to me to have all that functionality.

*I doubt I'll replace speakers, unless it's actually less of a hassle and just as much/more of an improvement than replacing the head unit.

#2 ·
To answer your question, I honestly don't know where to begin! However, I will offer my opinion on two things:

1 - I, personally, wouldn't buy a head unit that wasn't fully compatible with the stock steering wheel controls. I feel like I would regret having those "dead" buttons/features on the wheel.

2 - I honestly do not think the sound system is bad. I have it tweaked to where it sounds more than just decent to me. I followed the guide Tech707 posted up here: http://clubcrosstrek.com/index.php/topic,236.0.html that really helps.

Just my 2 cents.

#3 ·
I'm absolutely with you on #1. I've never owned a vehicle with steering wheel controls, though I've been driving a family loaner with one since my car died. Would hate having the buttons with no functionality.

On #2, I'll definitely be toying with that thread and I think I remember seeing one on NASIOC as well. My priority will be to get the factory unit sounding great and only going aftermarket if it doesn't live up to what I'd like. We'll see.

#4 ·
I replaced the head unit in my 2002 Escape to get Bluetooth functionality, and found that Crutchfield has very knowledgeable sale staff. I would start there.

I would say your only issue might be the newness of the vehicle. I.e. I called Weathertech to see about the digital fit floorliners and they will not be available for the Crosstrek until later this year. It may be the same with the audio stuff, it may be too new for much to be available for it yet.

Give Crutchfield a call and see what the say. (no I don't work for them, but did get great service!) :)

#5 ·
Good call. I'll certainly keep them in mind.

On the Weathertechs, everything I've read says the 2012 Impreza front mats fit the XV perfectly and the rear fits either perfectly or with a slight gap under the rear hump portion.

#8 ·
I got the steering wheel control adapter from Incartec and they work great with my new Alpine I put in.

Tacodude

#11 ·
http://ae64.com/

After talking with David I was informed of a few things: The factory microphone is pretty much impossible to use in after market HUs. Ive read some articles on people getting them to pick up audio but the gain is completely off and there is massive distortion. So you will need to use the one that comes with the HU.

I read pretty much everything on ae64.com and David was fantastic. For a Pioneer AVH-X4500BT
Code:
(1) 20-pin forward harness  $12.00 (w/ 3 SWC wires)
(1) Axxess ASWC-1       $58.00
(1) 16-pin aux harness RCA  $22.00 (to left/right RCA plugs)
(1) Subaru USB adapter    $12.00
Shipping (USPS Priority)   $ 9.15 (with insurance)
Aside from soldering all the wires together with the help of the guides on David's site, everything else was completely plug and go. You just let him know the OEM head unit model number, what aftermarket HU you plan on installing and hell make up a harness for you. I used the Metra 95-8902 Double Din trim kit and it was not the right one. Needed heavy modification with a dremel and the faceplate trim will still pop out a bit if you push on one side. Ive gotta wedge some electrical tape behind the dash next time I decide to pull it off.

Overall it was an extra 100 bucks for the harness and such but all the stock options (aux, usb, swc) work perfectly. The SWC work even better than they did before. The voice activation button (i never used this) now is the attenuate button. Just a perk and it can be reprogrammed but Im happy with it.

Any other questions and I am more than happy to help if I can. Im getting ready to replace the door speakers all around with mids and possibly move the tweeters to the a pillar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.