Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got the news that the rear right sidewall is damaged.
So with over 50 % of the tread gone at 40,000 km. I now have to replace all 4, or risk damage to the AWD.
I’m feeling like the Falkin tires might be a little flimsy and that because the general snow tires are so great maybe the
AltiMAX RT43
225/55R18 98H
24lbs...
Buying them I think

Any thoughts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Driving around today trying to get a feel for them. My wife said it rides like the outback, definitely softer.
The Generals offer a 75 000 mile warranty where as the Falkins, only 50 000.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finished driving about a two or three hundred kmh. Re-torqued to100 ft/lbs. Checked the tire pressure this [email protected]( 15•c ) with my digital handheld and overfilled them by 1.5 lbs.
34.5 front and 33.5 back.
Now I need just a bit more time but my initial impressions are good

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drove around a bunch today looking for conclusions.
My first observation was that these tires feel very directional. There is almost no effort in maintaining a straight line.
The improvement might compare to what I felt after my recent alignment.
They are surprisingly direct without lag yet they are supple and not twitchy.
I did a bit of moderate speed gravel road driving and was once again pleased with the smoothness.
These tires take the luxury ride of this car to another level. They also feel incredibly grippy.
They have a progressive bite with the tiniest dead spot that’s perfect for
providing a level of responsive adjustment you can feel.
Not sure about highway or other attributes like mpg yet. So far very pleased with my purchase.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the tire review.
Our 2013 had really cruddy tires from the factory, and when they wore out, long story, but they got replaced at a walmart with even worse tires.
Since new, that car has felt squirmy. Didn't matter road surface, speed or conditions, always felt like I had to herd it down the road. Several alignments and alignment checks made zero difference.
Finally, last year, I took it to costco and got some fairly expensive Michelins.
The difference was astounding. Now it feels like it's on rails.
I haven't ever had a vehicle that was quite this touchy about tire brand before.

Glad you like your new tires!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
“I haven't ever had a vehicle that was quite this touchy about tire brand before.”

True! I over inflated my rear right leaking tire to 40 lbs and could feel the effect that the rear suspension had on steering, enormous!

I always thought the suspension might be better suited to the 17 inch Yokohama setup rather than the harder falken 18 inch combo.
The stablex suspension likes tires with a similar tune I’m thinking.

The only less than perfect sensation I’m feeling is a diagonal weight seesaw ing caused by the very slight balloon like nature of the silicone tread.
My wife sums it up, when compared to oem, “these ones are better”.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two more things,
Excellent in pouring rain. 80 mph good....
The day before I achieved a 30 mpg (US) average over 3 and 1/2 hours of gravel + 1.5 hours of 55mph country roads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts