Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer ordered me a new bumper because they messed mine up putting a hitch on it (a mistake I'll never repeat). They had to order it primed and paint it locally.. Am I just being too picky or is this a completely different color? :eek:

·
Registered
714 Posts
It's hard to tell in the pictures for sure. Matching paint can be very hard, especially with all the flake in that color. It may not be perfect and honestly they may never be able to make it a perfect match. They may have a bit more or less flake in it etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Their plan is to remove a bumper off a CBS XV that they'll get in stock and put it on my car to make me happy. Then they'd use that car as a loaner. Seems like a waste, but they caused the initial problem, I just want my car to be as good as when I gave it to them for the hitch... I don't think that's unreasonable. For whatever reason getting a factory painted bumper (that would surely match) is "not an option". That's unfortunate, for them in them end. I'll give them credit for wanting to make it perfect, though.

I think the middle two pictures make it rather obvious, but different computers/monitors it may not be as clear. I'm on a 15" MacBook Pro looking at them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andrazy86 said:
To me it looks like your new bumper has more "flake" than the xv
It does appear to be more "flaky" for sure, my friend's opinion was it looked greyer. And the gentleman that sold me the car sad it looked flatter. Any matter it doesn't match the car to various eyes.

·
Registered
820 Posts
You are not nuts my friend! That does not match on my iPad for sure! I'm glad they're making it right for you- that wouldn't pass my eye test either....not even close.

·
Registered
42 Posts
so this all came about because you were having the factory hitch installed?

·
Registered
421 Posts
It is different. Looks like the bumper was painted without it being on the car. The painter should have feathered the rear quarter panels to blend the two. Go to the dealer and back another black XV bumper to bumper and compare them

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
From a distance it's harder to tell (at least on my Nexus) but up close it definitely looks different. You are not crazy and on a brand new car this is not something to let slide, especially when it was the dealer's fault.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
714 Posts
Glad to hear they are sorting this out for you. They are correct in saying they can't get a factory painted bumper, Subaru usually only offers replacement bumpers unpainted. I confirmed in our Subaru catalog that you can only order the bumper unpainted part number: 57704FJ040

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, it's a slightly different color, but no one would ever notice unless you pointed it out. It's probably the best that could be hoped for.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, all because I had them put the hitch on when I was capable of doing it myself; should have done the Torklift one. Not going to dwell on the past. It's plenty sunny here for the first time since they put it on (Wednesday); I noticed after I got it home and put it under my fluorescents in the garage.

Ive been bumming around it outside doing other spring tasks and honestly 9/10 people would think that it matches and looks great. And really if this was a used car or repair after something I did wrong, like an accident, then I would let it go. But not on a new car and not when it's not my fault, and not when I paid the dealer price for the hitch!

So yeah. I'm just waiting for the to rip a bumper off a brand new XV.

There are two spots that are hard to see with the camera (one on each side of the bumper) where the paint was too light or the clear was too thick; almost looks like it's oxidized or something. If it weren't for that I'd consider keeping it I suppose.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ikon said:
It is different. Looks like the bumper was painted without it being on the car. The painter should have feathered the rear quarter panels to blend the two. Go to the dealer and back another black XV bumper to bumper and compare them
It was. They didn't want to give me a loaner so they had me stick with the fouled bumper until they had this one ready.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SakesMense said:
Yeah, it's a slightly different color, but no one would ever notice unless you pointed it out. It's probably the best that could be hoped for.
I do not agree with you, sir. Only one post? If you're a new XV owner introduce yourself!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hopefully the one off the new car will match better for ya!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Don't settle for a half a$$ job. Take this to the top like the GM of the dealership

·
Registered
800 Posts
I cant be of any help determining the difference between shades of black (partially colorblind here), but I echo what other people have said here- make sure the dealership makes this right!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey bro definitely looks on the gray side. My body guy is a master with paint and would have matched it. Have the dealer make it right since he did it and it seems like he is going to.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes, it can be matched so close you cannot tell. What you have does not match.

Two comments posted here, blend it with the quarter, and can't match paint exact, are both wrong. Any good paint shop will mix the paint to match exactly, and it doesn't matter if it's painted on or off the car. You only blend panels when you're not painting the whole panel.

I had paint matched for a 18 year old toyota, a pearl green metallic, shot the hood and top and blended the rear pillars and it matched perfectly. A new car is that much easier as the rest of the paint is fresh.

Make them fix it. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts