Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019, have had it for about 2 months now.

Getting the Android Auto to stay connected has been a real nightmare. It will connect, and stay that way for maybe 5 minutes. It then just inexplicably disconnects. Going down the highway using Waze for directions and boom, I have nothing.

My phone is still trying to connect so it is useless during this time. I end up having to pull over and reset everything.

I have tried all the usual stuff; new cables, uninstall the android auto app and reinstall, hard reset of head unit, turning Bluetooth off, turning it on etc. etc. My dealer is of no help. I was using a Samsung S7, tried my sons S8 and both do the same thing. The dealer says there is no new updates.

Anyone else dealing with this? Sometimes the Bluetooth will unpair my phone from the car too, and then it wont reconnect because the message on the unit says that it cant connect when Android Auto is connected (which Android Auto is NOT connected).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe try updating the headunit. goto subaru-maps.com to download the downloader. You can use that to build a USB thumb drive that'll do the update. I have far less mystery disconnects with my iPhone with the last few updates.

·
Registered
21 MG Limited w/moonroof, 18 CGK Premium w/moonroof
2 Posts
Try disabling power saver mode. Had the same issue and disabling power saver mode fixed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just bought a 2019 CrossTrek in December 2020. This is a base model without Starlink. While I love the car overall, the head unit is making me crazy! I get in the car and plug in my Samsung Galaxy S10e, Google Maps comes up on the display and Pandora is ready to play music. I discovered first that if I stopped the car and get out to go do something for any amount of time and then get back in the car and start up, android auto will not reconnect until I unplug the USB cable from my phone and plug it back in. My local dealer had the techs do a firmware update to the head unit supposedly. Now in addition to the original problem, the thing randomly disconnects AndroidAuto while I'm cruising down the road. Some days it may not do it at all. Some days it may do it one or two or three times and then behave normally. Today it must've dropped the connection 15 or 20 times. Every single time I have to unplug the USB cable from the phone and plug it back and then everything reconnects. I have a technical service and computer repair business so I'm constantly relying on Google navigation. This alone is enough to make me consider dumping the car. The technology for car stereo interface is not an infant technology, it is mature and it is not that challenging to create an interface that consistently works. Believe me with 50 years in the technology industries I know this to be a fact. Being out of warranty I would have to pay for a head unit replacement with no promise that it will fix the problem at all. Therefore I'm considering giving up my short-lived allegiance to Subaru.
P.S. I have tried using my Galaxy S7, and S4 with identical results, and all 3 of my phones have worked without a glitch in other vehicles. Definitely appears to be a flaw in Subaru's interface inmplementation!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still have issues with mine and I now have a Galaxy S-9. My dealer told me that they work better with Apple iPhones. I pretty much do not connect to the Android Auto anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I still have issues with mine and I now have a Galaxy S-9. My dealer told me that they work better with Apple iPhones. I pretty much do not connect to the Android Auto anymore.
Yeah like I'm going to go out and get an Apple iPhone just so that my car can deal with it, I don't think so! I'll get rid of the car first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts