Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd throw this out there. I know, two topics in an hour in the same subforum, but hey... I'm bored, and curious. Dangerous combination.

Anyways, I was wondering if we had anyone here from around North Carolina?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I am actually from (born and raised in) NC, Wilmington to be exact. However, I moved to Orlando when I was 19 for school, then immediately out to Los Angeles where I have been since 2008.

That said, I have been back in Wilmington since March working on a movie that I am wrapping up this week, then heading back to L.A the first week in January after spending the holidays with family.

And don't ever sweat posting too much because I don't think there is such a thing, especially when we're a small, growing community!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Might be heading to NC sometime next week. The family and I want a few days to get away.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I live in Sanford, FL. Actually, the wife wants to take our 4 year old to see snow, but I don't feel like driving to Virgina or any other state where it's snowing.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
catric69 said:
I live in Sanford, FL. Actually, the wife wants to take our 4 year old to see snow, but I don't feel like driving to Virgina or any other state where it's snowing.
I love the snow, and it's a good opportunity to test the Crosstrek out. Sadly it doesn't snow in my part of NC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In that case, let me be the first to welcome you to Fayettenam. It's been ages since I've been down that far, but it's a neat area.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Sorry, I don't know why I waited this long to move this topic down to the regional boards.

That said, "Fayettenam", I've never heard that before. I have spent very, very little time in that area so I don't know much about it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
SC mainly but L O V E me some Smokey Mountains. Building a cabin just west of Bryson off route 28 south. That there is some beautiful country! Hope to call it home, at least part of the year. Oh, and good 'shine.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
RubySu said:
SC mainly but L O V E me some Smokey Mountains. Building a cabin just west of Bryson off route 28 south. That there is some beautiful country! Hope to call it home, at least part of the year. Oh, and good 'shine.
That's awesome! I dream of having a cabin one day as a second home/vacation getaway.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Here's the kicker...The log cabin getaway is the reason I bought the Crosstrek! I was in a Wrangler going back/forth getting abysmal mileage from Charleston to Bryson (14mpg HWY). I wanted better mpgs but I also had to have something to get up the mountain once I arrived. The "road" to my land is/was graveled and steep. Add in a little snow or mud...I m not getting there! The first time I drove there I was nervous I wouldn't make it up but my little goat of a XV climbed so well, man! I was pumped! The developer had gone bankrupt and there is only one home anywhere near where I am so it s like my own little rally cross whenever I go up or down that mountain! Dang, I wish I was there now! I recently had lot cleared and driveway cut in but they haven't put in the gravel yet. Two weeks ago I was there and my drive is kind of steep and it had rained quite a bit so it was muddy. I was afraid to go down the drive to get to the land but wanted to camp so I took the chance. As you can guess, it was easy going down but once I was, I realized it was pretty soupy. I set up my campsite since cabin will not be completed until Sept. or so. I got to looking around, and with forecast for more rain, I thought it better to get "RubySu" up that drive before she sunk! I m telling you, the mud was flying but I knew pretty much from the start of the ascent that I was going to make it and I was smiling and laughing out loud having cheated that awful"I'm stuck" feeling as I got to solid ground. I know I m going to have a great relationship with that mountain and this Crosstrek- in fact, it's already begun. Sorry for the length of this post but it s more of a testimony to the Crosstrek than anything else! Now, you go on and get yourself started on that mountain home!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I live in Wilson, NC. Good midway point between Raleigh and Greenville.

My grandparents have their 'retirement present' to themselves up in the mountains. A few miles east of Boone on top of a mountain. I definitely want to get my Crosstrek up there and do some real exploring. They've only had it going on two years so I haven't been up there much. Like RubySu, I too converted from a Wrangler, so I feel your mpg pain. I did go tubing down a river up there last summer. I'm going to try and save up some money for a kayak/the kayak carrier. I definitely want to try skiing/snowboarding out.

Does anyone know of any good places to take the XTrek offroading?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I was stationed in Havelock, NC ( MCAS Cherry Point).... man, if you sneeze driving down HWY 70 you will miss the town... lol!!!

I did enjoy the 4 year years I was there ( 93-97 ), lots of fishing and 4wheeling. Even hung out at Lil Dew's Mud Pit on the weekends with my 79 K5 Chevy Blazer. Ol farmland converted to a 1/8 mile mud pit... THAT was fun !!!

Good, country folk for sure...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I grew up in Roxboro, NC. Went to college at UNC Wilmington, lived in Carolina Beach for 3 years. Currently live north of Durham in Timberlake. Lived in NC all my life.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts