Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
When my Crosstrek arrives, I plan to do what I did on my 2003 forester for carrying a small motorcycle. Oreillys auto has heavy rubber spring boosters that increase height and limit sag. You simply jack up one corner at a time, and put two of them in the expanded coils about 45 degrees apart. They are quiet and havent had them come out during driving off road.

·
Registered
96 Posts
From what I am told, a simple spring swap will not work with our struts. We need a full strut swap. Totally unconfirmed. I have not researched this information.

Locally, there is a bugeye that has done a Forester spring swap AND the Subtle 1" kit, to gain 2" total. Pretty mean looking.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You can lift the car (or lower it) using just a spring. The height of the car is set by the distance from the spring perch to the top hat and the distance from the spring perch to the knuckle. An increase, or decrease, in either of those dimensions will effect vehicle height.

The king springs not only provide lift but also a better spring rate. The subtle lift is nothing more than a 1in spacer, it will net a height gain but that's it. If it were my vehicle I would go with the springs, more work/cost but a much better end result.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Subir_roo said:
You can lift the car (or lower it) using just a spring. The height of the car is set by the distance from the spring perch to the top hat and the distance from the spring perch to the knuckle. An increase, or decrease, in either of those dimensions will effect vehicle height.

The king springs not only provide lift but also a better spring rate. The subtle lift is nothing more than a 1in spacer, it will net a height gain but that's it. If it were my vehicle I would go with the springs, more work/cost but a much better end result.
Sorry, I was a bit vague I think....

Meant I heard that the Forester springs were not compatible with the XV struts. If we wanted to go that route, we would need the full strut as well. Again, unconfirmed. *shrug*

Ive seen a local brick Forester on Kings. MEAN! 8)

·
Registered
714 Posts
In that case I'm not sure. Most likely you're correct in assuming we can't just toss the forester springs on an XV though.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I got the subtle 1inch spacers in the mail today. I am going this route now and potentially Will do the king springs in the future.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Supposedly you can't do it like you used to because of the increased dampening rate of the struts... but I had to drill my frame and extend a stud to get the forester struts onto my other impreza anyway. 04foz-->99rs

Also I heard perch heights are much different now too... just space the strut tops or really.... get the kings....... how high are you trying to go you guys are already there!

·
Registered
96 Posts
It sounds like the "easiest" way to go is to go Kings or Subtles. Let's see who does both. ;)

I have had my Subtle spacers for a while now but dragging my feet on installing. Debating the spring as well, but want to research affected hardware such as CVs, end links, and sways.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just tried to look up the springs on kingsprings.com. There isn't a listing for the crosstrek in coil springs or leaf springs. What exactly are we looking for and how do we know how much of a lift we'll get?????

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't think King has an application yet. I say YET because I hope eventually, they will. For the time being, I think the Subtle lift is the only option. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got the subtle 1" lift on my xv. Install took me about 3 hours alone, probably quicker with two people. Love the extra clearance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
josemendez said:
I really like that. Do you have any information on the install? On the spacer? I would love to raise my car.
Here is what I posted on subaruxvforum:
Got the lift installed yesterday. Took me about 3 hours total. Longest part was just figuring out the best way to go at both the front and back sets. The first spring on both front and back took me about an hour, then the second only took me about 20 minutes. Pretty difficult to do by yourself but not impossible. I've never done any work on suspension and was able to do it. I'll be more than happy to give a more detailed explanation if people would like, unfortunately I was in a rush so I didnt take too many pictures. Subtle sent me a link to a fozzy forum with instructions and I watched a youtube video of a guy removing his rear spring on his wrx. If you read and watch these it should be a breeze. I'm very happy with the results, just need to get an alignment done now. Not sure where exactly the ground clearance measurement point is, but when I measured from the ground to floor board I was at 12.5". I know that my tires gave me .6 inches and the lift is 1" so I'm not sure. Here are the links.
HOW TO INSTALL: Subtle-Solutions - 1" Lift Kit - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Coilover Upgrade / Strut Replacement (WRX Rear) FCP Import

I'd be more than happy to answer any more questions regarding the spacers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ikon.. I mainly looking for that one extra inch of clearance. I dont know that we can go much bigger on tires as they may rub and a lift wont mitigate that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts