Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

261 - 278 of 278 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
'Have always been a fan of these kinds of threads. It's especially fun scrolling through pages of an XV "living the life". Mine will not likely see as much fun so vicariously it is.

My favorite mods through page 14 are:
Twist-tie flap (Who needs zip-ties?)
Anime stickers (at least 3hp a piece)
AWD tow warning (practicality is a beautiful thing)

Thanks for including personal reviews of your purchases and other advice. I'm sure some of this will come in handy at some point in my XVs life.

By the way... I had my rear "diffuser" wrapped matte black because I've seen a handful of XVs with paint rubbed off and I never understood why a vehicle actually capable of some off roading would have exposed paint along the scrape zone. It's practical and helps finish the look (for me).
I'm surprised you've scrolled through this build thread's pages. Personally, I find it a bit tiresome reading my very own vehicle's thread, and I'm the one posting about it. :eek:

Unfortunately, the RallyArmor mudflaps have been, over time, completely ripped off. Off-roading heavily will bring about their inevitable demise from the vehicle. Although they performed admirably, I unfortunately cannot recommend them for those who push their vehicles to their limits off-road. By pushing to their limits, I am not referring to high-speed gravel road use expected in rally racing (which they do fine at), but rather off-roading that involves maxing out the capabilities in terms of approach angle, departure angle, breakover angle, and especially ground clearance.

The anime stickers I slapped on with an understanding that they'd be silly. Considering my modifications are silly as is, it wasn't that hard to really go along with them and add some imaginary HP :eek:

From my understanding, there are some people with the preconceived notion that all Japanese unibody vehicles are FWD. The stickers are designed to at least provide some warning to tow truck drivers that the vehicle is, in fact, All-Wheel Drive. Most people who ask about more information about my vehicle in person are completely unaware that the Subaru XV Crosstrek comes standard with AWD. And then they are even more caught off-guard when they find out it is equipped with the 5-speed manual transmission.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
It is with much regret that I have ultimately chosen not to run the Mann Engineering lift springs.

This decision came about after much discussion with various performance car enthusiasts in regards to using a crossover in autocross and track day events.

In order to best convince autocross/track staff that my vehicle is not a rollover risk if/when I enter such an event, having stock-height springs would be essential to making that happen.

So rather than running the Mann Engineering lift springs on my Subaru XV Crosstrek, I will instead buy the Subaru XV Hybrid springs, which are stiffer than the regular Subaru XV springs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Okay... I actually went through the remaining pages. 'All caught up. Reading through pages of build threads may not be exciting but sometimes one find info that'll be of use at some OR one catches something inspirational.

I wrote a FIAT related blog CREAM CITY 500 CLUB that is still read in at least 20 languages. A few of the entries actually cited Subaru as a solid case for FCA taking Lancia back to its roots. I appreciate folks taking the time to share their knowledge.

Did you replace the RA flaps with another brand? I didn't catch that while scrolling. Recommendations for those in need?

I'm looking forward to your report on the new springs... and AutoXing your XV. A colleague keeps asking me whether or not I plan to take my XV snow racing this winter. We'll see if that ever happens.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Despite the lack of updates, more parts are being gathered.

Stay tuned, I'll eventually picture-bomb the build thread with parts and hopefully (eventually) the installed parts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well... I managed to break more parts...
looking for something else i happened upon this thread and I think the problem with your brakes might be that the return is obstructed since it is very unlikely that two sets of calipers are dragging. what will happen in this case is that the caliper itself will work fine when you initially start but as braking is applied they will remain "on" you could test this by getting them warmed up and cracking the bleeder and see if fluid just shoots out. if it does then it is being pumped up and applied but it is not able to release the pressure until it has been sitting for some time.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #268 (Edited)
I know an apology will not make up for my severe inactivity but... I'm sorry for neglecting the forum. I had fallen into the pit in my mind of a hopeless future for my vehicle, and it completely drained any motivation I had to use car forums anymore. However, this would not last forever, as you can see that I am back.

My Subaru XV Crosstrek is back with a vengeance!

So a summary of what got damaged/worn, as well what got installed:
* Endless MX72PLUS brake pads worn
* Crawford Performance Subaru FB20 engine air oil separator installed
* Factory Subaru Panasonic automotive lead-acid battery replaced with a Deka Ultimate 735MF
* I severely cracked one of the 16 inch Subaru Forester steel wheels and found out I cracked two other wheels, rendering the entire set of wheels unsafe to use
* I replaced the wheel and tire assemblies with the old set of stock 17 inch 2nd generation Subaru XV alloy wheels with the used Goodyear Eagle Sport tires
* Car got professionally detailed
* Endless CC-Rg brake pads installed with new cheap brake rotors
* I ripped the passenger side front LCA (lower control arm) off so badly it popped the halfshaft out and leaked out over a quart of the gear oil contained in the manual transaxle
* Said RF LCA damage also damaged the rear portion of the passenger side fender
* Suspension damage was a good enough excuse to get the Bilstein shocks [VE3-3295LJ (left front), VE3-3295RJ (right front), BE5-3296J (rear, qty 2 req'd)] Tomioka Racing TR-CS2000 suspension bushings, as well as the Subaru-branded STI Group N/Group R4 strut tower mounts P/N 20320FG012 (front, qty 2) and P/N 20370SG000 (rear, qty 2) installed as well as the replacement right front LCA installed P/N 20202FJ040

And that's the basic summary so far.

I got suggested to get "real" rock rails, as the current Primitive Racing rock sliders aren't doing a great job of protecting the seam weld of the unibody.

Other things in the future include summer tires (BFGoodrich g-force SPORT COMP-2), a set of winter-capable all-weather tires (Nokian WR G4), custom fuel tank skid plate, custom-mounted push bar (such as the Setina PB100 pushbar), Quik-Latch QL-25-SB securing the front fascia, and custom front brake ducting.

Sometime later expect a seriously-huge photo post.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Any thoughts on what brand sliders you're going with?

There may or may not be things in the works with a shop here in Sac ;)
PM sent.

Nobody makes one that is listed as available online besides the current Primitive Racing ones I have on.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
The promised photo post is here!

Crawford Performance AOS installed (what a pain, I never want to install one of these again)
https://i.imgur.com/a56G166l.jpg

Deka Ultimate battery installed
https://i.imgur.com/oWsbUHM.jpg

Endless CC-Rg brake pads
https://i.imgur.com/KvfPJWCl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/r3Y4fyhl.jpg

Subaru Forester 16" steel wheels cracked
https://i.imgur.com/wGcU3LYl.jpg

stock 2nd gen Subaru XV wheels swapped back on with the old Goodyear Eagle Sport tires still on them
https://i.imgur.com/LPA3AGsl.jpg

ripped RF LCA showing manual transaxle gear oil leaking and damaged right side fender
https://i.imgur.com/KlkCil3l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eY9sZawl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OAQa3Bcl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3KOwAWKl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/b77uJqll.jpg

Bilstein shocks installed
https://i.imgur.com/klke8dtl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tSEKi2Yl.jpg

And once again, my car is not being driven again. It is under a no-drive agreement until the local Subaru service center can get to it for the Subaru FB20 engine valve spring safety recall service...

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Got my vehicle back... there was a mix-up and my vehicle was NOT affected by the valve spring recall.

I basically drove a rental Toyota Camry for 3 weeks for a mistake by the dealership. Oh well.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
I've been driving it around as usual, which means often times a bit spirited.

Recent change was a reduction and reorganization of equipment carried, as well as an inclusion of a full-size spare tire conversion in place of where the original equipment compact spare once occupied.

However, this now renders my Cusco rear strut tower brace non-functional (the rear strut tower brace blocks the area where a full-size spare tire would normally be located, it squeezes down on the compact spare tire as-is).

Big news is, though, the Subaru XV will be getting new tires (4 new tires) and a new full-size spare tire to take the place of the old used one I bought a while back. Even better news is that I got a Setina pushbar and Quik-Latch products shipping in.

I'm also trying to convince a shop to custom fabricate integrated rock rails, fuel tank skid plate, and center floor skid plate.

Stay tuned. Just don't expect results immediately.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Having fun with other fellow Subaru crossover drivers...

Especially a certain fellow who has lots in store for his Subaru XV Crosstrek...

I finally did the full-size spare tire conversion. It took me only, oh, an absurd 5 years of having the vehicle to actually get it done.

I even reorganized the cargo on top of the load floor. It's helluva lot cleaner.

The Subaru rear cargo tray now sits all weird with the full-size spare tire, since the load floor is higher than stock for USA-market models. I'm guessing countries which got the full-size spare tire don't have this problem for their rear cargo tray.

With the full-size spare tire conversion... the Cusco rear strut tower brace has had to be removed, as it sits right on top of the compact OEM spare tire. The mentioned fabrication shop will custom fabricate a new rear strut tower brace that will be able to use the old Cusco hardware.

No surprise, I also went out to have some real American fun with a fellow former servicemember.

The guns in their cases fit snugly in the back, just right.

And after shooting my pump-action shotgun in the wilderness, I went for a scenic mountain pass drive. Big mistake on a weekend with lots of traffic and clueless/incompetent drivers around me ruining the fun I was having.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
So once again, I'm not driving my car.

It's getting quite a few custom fabricated parts, almost all exclusively protection for off-road use and other heavy-duty and harsh use.

Future plans in question are here:
* custom fuel tank skid plate
I almost ripped my fuel tank open while off-roading. Inspiration was primarily from the Trailhawk-badged Jeep crossovers. The Jeep Renegade Trailhawk in particular (primarily competitor to Subaru XV/Subaru Crosstrek) is the primary inspiration.

* custom integrated-style rock rails (replaces exterior rocker panel black plastic trim)
Inspiration was primarily from the Trailhawk-badged Jeep crossovers, which Mopar offers OE-grade aftermarket rock rails that one can purchase from the dealer. The Jeep Renegade Trailhawk in particular (primarily competitor to Subaru XV/Subaru Crosstrek) is the primary inspiration.

* custom center floor skid plate
Inspiration was primarily from the Trailhawk-badged Jeep crossovers. The Jeep Renegade Trailhawk in particular (primarily competitor to Subaru XV/Subaru Crosstrek) is the primary inspiration, which does have this skid plate around the center of its floorboard. The intended mounting point is the center exhaust heatshield shround, or whatever it's called.

* custom rear strut tower brace (to accommodate full-size spare)
The Cusco rear strut tower brace is NOT compatible with a full-size spare, so I had to remove the bar, but left the rest of the hardware on the struts. The new unit that will be fabricated will have to angle over the full-size spare mounted where the compact temporary spare tire used to be mounted.

* custom-mounted Setina PB100 push bar
After several instances of where a pushbar would have significantly helped me in situations I found myself in, I'm going to get a police pushbar to improve my vehicle's ability to help other vehicles, as well as gives rescue vehicles an additional option to recover my vehicle in a vehicle-stuck situation.

* Cusco Reinforced Differential Carrier 6A1 489 A
This will replace the factory rear differential carrier to improve power delivery and reduce driveline slop and losses. NVH will suffer.

* Subaru XV logos on the doors 93079FJ100
The inner-ricer in me wants there to be XV logos on the side. Even with the body side moldings, it looks naked to me. My bank account will suffer such wasteful spending.

* Subaru Symmetrical AWD stickers on side windows 91572FE040
Look at my username, it's pretty self-explanatory. My bank account will suffer such wasteful spending.

* STI motorsport-grade engine and transmission mounts (trans mounts only compatible with manual transmissions)
- shifter bushing B0220FG300
- transmission mount D1010FE020
- pitching stopper/pitch stop mount D1040FE000
- D1010FE110 (RH) D1010FE120 (LH) *requires (2) nuts per mount, 902380007

Reduced engine and transmission assembly movement, reduce risk of bushing damage and failure, improve power delivery by reducing drivetrain losses. NVH will suffer, but durability and driving experience will improve.

* 4th generation Subaru WRX STI rear stabilizer bar (VA-chassis) 20451VA000 w/ 2 20464VA000 bushings
I want less body roll, and want to make the rear end a little more tail happy.

* RalliTEK 1/4" lift Sport springs
These will function more like the overload springs I initially purchased the Mann Engineering springs for. They should also provide significantly-better body control for spirited/emergency driving and reduce suspension sagging due to heavy loads over the stock springs.

* BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 summer high performance tires
I want to enjoy the twisty stuff and racetracks before I move out of California to a free state, while retaining a M+S rated tread. Yes, this is a summer tires with a mud and snow rated tread pattern. It's the standard Land Rover uses for choosing their OEM tires, even the summer tires, to fulfill their "standard" for what tires are deemed capable enough to exhibit every Land Rover's off-road capability. Once this summer tire is worn and/or damaged, I'll get an all-weather tire, as listed below.

* Toyo Tires Celsius CUV (after summer high performance tires worn/damaged)
I like the versatility of my Subaru subcompact crossover, my tires should reflect that too, with 3PMSF certified capability. The Toyo Tires Celsius CUV features deeper tread depth than regular Toyo Tires Celsius for better lifespan and off-road capability.

For those expecting quick results, don't hold your breath. As previous, it may take months until I get back into driving it on a regular basis. But for now, it has been in the hands of a trusted custom fabrication shop for weeks now, and possibly longer...

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
I owe this entire forum community an apology.

These past 9 months have been pretty painful on my end. And it almost bordered on being fruitless. But soon... Soon I shall once again become actively posting and adventuring with a vehicle that doesn't have an overheating CVT. (I've been driving that CVT 2018 Subaru Forester the past 9 months during my XV's absence).

261 - 278 of 278 Posts