Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once upon a automotive journey with a 08 Civic Si, I used to play "bounce the rev limiter". It became extremely addictive as that high revver would spin right up to 8 grand hitting vtec overtures along the way starting at 6500 rpm! Fast forward to about two weeks ago when, in 2nd gear, I had a little flashback and rammed that little flatty right up to the limiter and let it bounce a couple times just to see how it sounded.....you know the rest ::). Of course it sounded fantastic and now...well now I've fallen, yet again, to that intoxicating, screaming, pleading, piston slapping whine of an engine bouncing off the top, falling down 500 rpm then bouncing off the top....wha whaaaaaaa, wha waaaaaa, wha waaaaa and on it goes! Somebody stop me!!! No, never mind, I can't be stopped and if she blows,she blows! Damn the torpedoes! Anyone else out there? The first step is admitting you have a problem........ 8). Poor little RubySu....

·
Registered
603 Posts
Problems... Are only a matter of perspective.

From this angle, you seem completely normal to me. :-D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wait...you mean you aren't s'posed to bounce it? How else will the pistons get their exercise in that 112 or so cubic inches?!

;)

·
Registered
927 Posts
LOL!!!

Bob.... TOO funny!! I have NOT done this in my Jeep or my XV.... but I have done it in a Civic, Accord and a few Nissans.

If you want to hear the REV BOUNCE like you never have.... try a 4.0 with a nice exhaust. My buddy Matt has a 4.7 Stroker that sounds EVIL when bouncing.

BTW... you are VERY normal... but to some..... that is a relative term as well... lol.....

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Todd, you and I share the same theory of relativity when defining normal-LOL! 8)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To those of you who haven't done it - I extend invitation should you pass through my fair city. My 5 speed is at your disposal should you be so inclined. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face! Of course I'll be riding shotgun and you must know how to drive a 5 speed. Afterwards I will buy you a celebratory beer or a cup of coffee and send you on your merry way a happier human being! Cheers! 8)

·
Registered
927 Posts
RubySu said:
To those of you who haven't done it - I extend invitation should you pass through my fair city. My 5 speed is at your disposal should you be so inclined. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face! Of course I'll be riding shotgun and you must know how to drive a 5 speed. Afterwards I will buy you a celebratory beer or a cup of coffee and send you on your merry way a happier human being! Cheers! 8)

You have NO IDEA how tempting this is.... sigh.... Keep this as an OPEN invitation... I may hit you up someday.... 8)

and of course....

My TJ is at your disposal ( same shotgun scenario applies) for whatever trail you so choose to challenge.... Rubicon, Bronco Canyon, Moonrocks, Budweiser, Hungry Ridge, Hunter Lake, Peterson Mtn.... and the list goes on....

NOW I GOT YOU THINKIN!!!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
We all have our moments. :D
Just remember, every newer car logs the last few minutes of activity. If you play with that rev limiter too much and break something it's bye bye warranty. :-\

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ahhh... Drat that thing. Today, little black boxes. Tomorrow, "snapshot" legally required by all. Can't a guy get a little privacy. We already pay for our own "liability", next it's another reason to pay more for the same thing. Gziz. Its coming.... You watch!

Its proving to be another good reason to pay off the cars quickly. If they don't own the titles, they shouldn't require all the extra crap.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a matter of time Todd....when time/circumstance allow 8). Looking forward to it! I've never been on any of those trails and it is on my bucket list....you have no idea how badly I want to take you up on your offer. One of these days soon my friend ;)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Subir_roo said:
We all have our moments. :D
Just remember, every newer car logs the last few minutes of activity. If you play with that rev limiter too much and break something it's bye bye warranty. :-\
Car and Driver had a piece on this about 6 months ago. Not all manufacturers have this memory. In fact, I remember only 5-6 that did. Of course I don't remember if Subaru was one but I will research it and post. I do remember several of them were actually less than 10 seconds. Again, let me look into it so I can give facts and not just speculate.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My XV has the "event data recorder".

According to the owners manual, page 9,....

"The EDR is designed to record data related to the vehicle's dynamics and safety systems for a short period of time, typically 30 seconds or less. The EDR in this vehicle is designed to record such data as:
- how various systems in your vehicle were operating:
-- whether or not the driver and passenger were wearing seat belts.
-- how far if at all the driver was depressing the gas.
-- how fast the vehicle was traveling.

..... Recorded only if in a non-trivial crash situation.... No data recorded under normal driving conditions and no personal data are recorded...."

So my question is... What does insurance call non-trivial" and "normal driving conditions"??

Classic bureaucratic babble leaving things Wayyy too open for interpretation... And the owner left holding the bag.

·
Registered
714 Posts
My statement may have been too broad. They do vary a lot in time and length etc. And true, some cars do not have them. But it's becoming more standard. And yes, Subaru does have them on newer cars. The techs at work here used one recently in a very similar situation to show that the car was being abused when it failed.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Subir_roo said:
My statement may have been too broad. They do vary a lot in time and length etc. And true, some cars do not have them. But it's becoming more standard. And yes, Subaru does have them on newer cars. The techs at work here used one recently in a very similar situation to show that the car was being abused when it failed.
That's a interesting statement. I'm wondering how abuse is quantified? From my understanding this EDR is not a "history" recorder meaning it is written over continuously. An honest question- maybe you could shed some light on it. I would think the EDR would have to show a pattern of abuse and not just record a one time sequence in order to actually prove abuse no?

·
Registered
714 Posts
In this specific case the car was taken to redline (and held there) and had a failure. They basiclaly said that because the driver pushed the car past it's intended use the warranty is void. It doesn't take a pattern to void a warranty. One instance is enough.

And yes, it's generally written over so it comes down to the last chunk of time. What was the driver doing when/if there was a failure. They obviously can't prove consistent abuse but they don't have to.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Subir_roo said:
In this specific case the car was taken to redline (and held there) and had a failure. They basiclaly said that because the driver pushed the car past it's intended use the warranty is void. It doesn't take a pattern to void a warranty. One instance is enough.

And yes, it's generally written over so it comes down to the last chunk of time. What was the driver doing when/if there was a failure. They obviously can't prove consistent abuse but they don't have to.
For me, this is quite educational. It does make sense that one instance of abuse could lead to catastrophic failure of a part or system. I personally feel otherwise- that a pattern of abuse is the more likely culprit in very general terms. Those feelings aside and looking at it strictly from a manufacturers standpoint- I certainly can understand their reasoning. Secondarily to the EDR on the specific case you mention, we could conclude evidence that the limiter would have to been modified to, in fact, achieve red line status. This in itself is probably enough for the dreaded void stamp.

+1 karma Subir_roo for a thorough explanation. 8)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Here here for another +1 to Subir_roo's Karma!

We so fortunate to have you on our board!!:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts