Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! So it’s coming close to replacing the stock Yokohama Geolander G95A’s and I’ve been researching the best tire option. I’ve been thinking about getting the Michelin Defender LTX M/S but I’ve heard that cornering isn’t the best with them? I’d like to know what tires people who have Crosstreks have and what works the best for the Crosstrek? Thanks! ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
The best tire really depends on how and where you drive. Any quality tire will do fine on the Crosstrek for everyday driving. We have 3 season and winter tire sets and don't do any off road or overly spirited driving. We do see a lot of wet roads during the spring and fall months. Have been happy with the General Altimax RT43 (have had two sets now). Feel they are are a great compromise between handling/wear and cost. However, as I said, best tire for you depends on how/where you drive. Same goes for winter tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The best tire really depends on how and where you drive. Any quality tire will do fine on the Crosstrek for everyday driving. We have 3 season and winter tire sets and don't do any off road or overly spirited driving. We do see a lot of wet roads during the spring and fall months. Have been happy with the General Altimax RT43 (have had two sets now). Feel they are are a great compromise between handling/wear and cost. However, as I said, best tire for you depends on how/where you drive. Same goes for winter tires.
I live in Utah and I have a pretty mixed driving style. I’d like a tire that offers good all round traction but especially in the winter with the snow. I’m currently looking at: Michelin Defender LTX M/S, Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady and now the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT.

I have the General AltiMax RT43 Tires on my Jeep Patriot, but my Crosstrek is more likely to do some light off-roading...but both vehicles will be driven in the snow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Michelin Defender LTX

I replaced the stock Geolanders on my 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid with Michelin Defender LTX about a year ago. The Defenders aren't the quietest tire at highway speeds, but I've found them to be a good compromise tire for all-purpose (dry/wet/snow/mud) mixed use. No complaints here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the stock Geolanders on my 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid with Michelin Defender LTX about a year ago. The Defenders aren't the quietest tire at highway speeds, but I've found them to be a good compromise tire for all-purpose (dry/wet/snow/mud) mixed use. No complaints here.
Thanks for that man. I kinda thought that the Defender LTX M/S was more of an SUV/Truck tire...but you said it did good on your Crosstrek? I’m torn between that and the Goodyear Assurances WeatherReady. Both have really good reviews on Tire Rack.

·
Registered
349 Posts
On my 2019 Limited I had the dealership remove the stock tires when I bought it new and install Nokian WRG3 SUV tires. These are all weathers to eliminate swapping to winter tires. Worked great this past winter in some pretty good snowstorms. Never had a problem going anywhere I needed to go. Now that the warmer weather is here we'll see how they wear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my 2019 Limited I had the dealership remove the stock tires when I bought it new and install Nokian WRG3 SUV tires. These are all weathers to eliminate swapping to winter tires. Worked great this past winter in some pretty good snowstorms. Never had a problem going anywhere I needed to go. Now that the warmer weather is here we'll see how they wear.
Yeah I’ve heard of those too! They look pretty good! I think I prefer the Goodyears though. The Michelin’s look too big and heavy for the Crosstrek in my opinion and I’ve only ever seen them on big SUV’s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 16in rims with Falcon Wild peak Tires with 2in lift only little trim work to make them work. They are great and quiet on the road.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
If winter traction is a concern, you may want to look into all-weather tires, which are all-season tires with the 3PMSF certification for winter condition traction.

Some examples include the Michelin CrossClimate, Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, Vredestein Quatrac5, Nokian WRG3, and more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys! So it’s coming close to replacing the stock Yokohama Geolander G95A’s and I’ve been researching the best tire option. I’ve been thinking about getting the Michelin Defender LTX M/S but I’ve heard that cornering isn’t the best with them? I’d like to know what tires people who have Crosstreks have and what works the best for the Crosstrek? Thanks! ?
I replaced the Geolanders last year @ 30,000 miles. The Michelin Defenders do most things really well. I lost about a mile per gallon but gained improved wet weather performance, softer (good) response to pot holes, good and precise general handling, and a slight reduction in noise. Our winter wasn't bad enough to test the tire this year. The biggest downside is cost, but in my opinion they are well worth it. Defender has been the top rated tire in consumer reports for at least the last couple of years.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The Falken Ziex ZE001 A/S tires aren’t bad really.
Good on gravel roads and dry pavement, not as good in the rain as the Yokohama’s, I expect they’re more economical. They come on the 18 inch
tires on the limited. Definitely a 3 season tire. Reasonably priced when they need to be replaced.
I do snow tires on rims so these tires are probably perfect for a reasonably priced 3 season.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We ran our MY16 to ~60k on the stock tires. Replaced with Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail in the stock size of 225/55R17 in an XL load. They're about 5lbs heavier than the stock Yoko's but I have not seen a difference in fuel economy.

I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Awesome! Thanks! I think I’ll get those. I got a 14, should be the same size!
Yah you should be fine. I purchased these back at the end of December. It was rough finding a set as they were in a "national back-order" and I'm fairly certain I found one of the last set of these tires in the US.

They make them in a variety of sizes that would fit 17" rims. I ALMOST went one size up but ended up staying stock. I have a buddy that went the next size up and hasn't had any issues with rubbing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I really like the looks of those! I would like to get a set of those for my 2019 Crostrek plug-in hybrid. My tire size is
225 55R 18. I'll have to do some research to see if they are available in that size. The car came equipped with Falken ZIEX ZE001 A/S. I believe they are a low rolling resistance tire to help achieve a better EV range. I'll run those for the summer months and run the Wildpeak during the winter months here in Upstate New York. I not worried about losing some EV range especially in the winter months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We ran our MY16 to ~60k on the stock tires. Replaced with Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail in the stock size of 225/55R17 in an XL load. They're about 5lbs heavier than the stock Yoko's but I have not seen a difference in fuel economy.

I highly recommend them.

View attachment 10475
I also have the ‘16 crosstrek. Same trim as yours and am considering these tires. How do you like them after a few months of using them? What’s your gas mileage like with them compared to the stock Yokos?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts