Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Hi Gang! Getting ready to roadtrip to florida in a few days and i was wondering the best way to protect my leather interior from the florida sun? I will probably get a sunshade for the windshield.. But would something like armor all help? This is my first car with leather :)

Thanks in advance everybody!

Erik

·
Registered
8 Posts
303 Protectant is the go to product for all of the leather, plastic, and rubber on your car. If you follow the instructions it protects better than anything on the market. And the finish isn't as shiny or geasy like a lot of products.
FWIW the leather in our cars is treated, so expensive leather products don't make a whole lot of sense. A mild basic leather cleaner followed by a couple of applications of 303 every few months will keep everything lookin good.

Mike

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a cheap sunshade from walmart that works wonders. I use Armor All Ice Interior on my XV and it's awesome. At work we use 303 on the fleet vehicles, but I prefer Armor All. The fleet vehicles are starting to fade and they are only 2012 models. Maybe it's because those don't have sunshades, but Armor All is my choice just to be safe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Armor all is good for the dash and trim but for the lather seat and any leather trim u need a leather conditioner and probably wouldn't hurt to clean them with some saddle soap lightly before using the conditioner

·
Registered
42 Posts
The thing to remember about leather is it needs certain oils and mineral to keep them soft and pliable and armor all just cover the leather and eventually the leather will start pealing and cracking without proper treatment

·
Registered
318 Posts
My question would be is what Subaru calls leather actually leather? I have cloth in my XV but leather in my Tribeca. I don't image the materials used differs that much thru the line or from 2012 to 2014. I'm using my brother in law's Acura as a reference point here. Those seats are definitely leather.

My Tribeca's seats border on the plastic-y side to the point where I question if it is actually leather. In which case leather conditioner wouldn't help and likely costs many times what ArmorAll costs.

Regardless, +1 on the sunshade and also, for road trips, etc. it wouldn't hurt to invest in a decent seat cover.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As I stated before, the leather in our cars is treated. The compound used is a type of plasticizer that has been used for years in the furniture and clothing industry. It makes inexpensive leather last longer. Itt also why the leather, in our cars isn't a as supple as better quality leathers are.
Because of this, a good mild cleaner followed by 303 is about as good as it gets. The main thing is to keep it protected from the sun. And 303 is about the best their is.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts