Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my whimsical considerations for a new vehicle was its suitability in zombie apocalypse (which I use loosely; any apocalypse will do).

I considered the following factors, in order of importance:

(1) Reliability. A breakdown can be deadly. And long-term, unless you have mechanical skills, a broken down vehicle is junk.

(2) Fuel Economy. Fuel will become sparse, of course, and the farther you can go on a tank of gas, the better.

(2) (TIE) Off Road Capability. For getting around blocked roadways, finding safer places to be, and escaping pursuit. I imagine that while on the road, you'd always want to find a safe hide-away among some trees or some other off road hideaway to sleep or rest, so I rate this as important as fuel economy; a tank full of gas is useless if you're stuck.

(4) Speed and Handling. Can be important. However, off-road capability is likely more important than sheer speed on a day-to-day basis, and in those times of pursuit, speed and handling aren't the only ways to escape.

(5) Noise Level. For when you need to quietly slip by.

I rated the Crosstrek the highest due to its excellence on the 3 most important factors: Reliable, best crossover AWD fuel economy, excellent off road capability. I also considered the Ford Fusion hybrid, and if it really got 47/47/47 it might have won this particular consideration due to fuel economy and near silence at low speeds, despite the lack of off road capability and the mechanical complexity of the hybrid engine; however, once I learned it was really mid-30s MPG it slipped way down the list.

Thoughts? Additional considerations?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well the XV is good it wouldn't be my first choice. Fuel options are limited and durability isn't really that high. Weak tires and needs complicated maintenance.

My personal choice would be:

WAY more durable. Will run on multiple fuel types so fuel is much easier to come by. Designed to be fixed and maintained in the field. Can carry it's own weight in people, gear, and spare parts.

Off the lot cars I suppose the XV isn't bad in the end of the world scenario.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The whole premise you suppose has me chuckling out loud while my Mrs. looks disdainfully in my direction! "What could possibly be so damn funny on that car site he's always on". "Simpleton", she mentally concludes. Meanwhile, a chuckling down the zombie apocalypse road I travel alongside you. I do appreciate your thoughtfulness in establishing priority while selecting a vehicle for said event. I haven't seen this category show up in any car comparo I've read recently. After this, I may never read another as their imaginations pale in comparison for a vehicles usefulness. What are those so called "experts" at Car&Driver thinking anyway when clearly, a zombie apocalypse is imminent!

Ok, so first, in my southerning mind having been raised in a "plausibly deniable" zombie zone in NE Ohio. I now think the # 1 resource in any apocalypse, not just the zombie kind as you referenced- Bullets man! Without a doubt! Bullets, and of course, weapons for, hold on, we need a government style acronym- how about WZD (weapons for zombie destruction).

So again, # 1 =WZD. As for a vehicle, I'm thinking old military 2.5 ton camo'd up vehicle. Ah yes, the zombie crunching Deuce-N-Half! What better?! Why worry about fickle hybrids and AWD? In a apocalypse you need 6 tires minimum! The better to crush zombies with no? Why go around them when you can pulverize their rotting flesh while simultaneously fueling up on their seepage? The 2 1/2 tons burn anything in those multi- fuel diesels! So #2 is figured out quit convincingly I think.

All that's left is a bunker to ride it out. You've seen em. A semi-trailer buried 6 ft in the ground with a sickle for a trap door! Oh crap, hold on- the Mrs. is looking my way again...."no honey, im getting quotes to have the house pressure washed"....besides VP, we can put diesel in those and burn those SOBs down to the ground! I'm in! Get back to me on the details......roger.....OUT!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Holy $hit Subir_roo! While I'm typing my monstrosity, you post that pic which is so dang similar to what I described! I think yours is "bobbed" though. You're on our team bro! Great Zombie killaz think alike- lmao!

·
Registered
714 Posts
This is for your ears only (I guess that's all of you haha). I AM READY! Seriously. Call me crazy but I have plans for these things. And hey, if it's zombies, I'll be having WAY too much fun. If it's plain old apocalypse at least I'll do my best to survive! 8)

+1 to RubySu for being on team survival! +1 to the OP for making us think about it! Better to be prepared and not need it then to fail!

·
Registered
820 Posts
As funny as it sounds, I'm SERIOUS too! You may have heard me talk about that "cabin in the woods"! I'm ready, or getting there....kind of ;)

·
Registered
714 Posts
If only you were closer to CO! ;D I've got maps, plans, food stores, ammo, the whole 9 yards. Stocked to spades and ready for anything or so I hope! We have a small group of close friends who are all on the same page with the same plans as us. Hopefully none of it will ever be necessary although part of me would love to indulge in all the preparations I've made.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha RubySu, you are so right. I'm trying to get ready on that front, too. When I shared my thoughts with a friend, he said in an apocalypse, he'll just steal a car. Of course! So yes my shotguns and shells and other guns and ammo will be more important than my Crosstrek. Still, I could be anywhere when the [stuff] goes down, and at the very least I'd need to get home.

In any event, imaging how my Crosstrek would handle an apocalypse is entertaining.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I honestly think its a smart and prudent move...you just never know...it's a complex and crazy world as we've seen in recent years/decades. The only thing for certain is uncertainty. Like you, I don't want chaos and in my heart of hearts, I don't anticipate it. That's not to say that I don't have contingencies. I just don't want to be caught flat-footed if the $hit hits the fan and I could have done some minor planning to see our way through it. My thinking has evolved on this subject over the last 10-15 years. I used to think we in the U.S. we're immune to global conflict. As in, we could reach out and touch our enemies but they couldn't reciprocate. That would obviously be incalculably naive in 2013.

I will stop there because this is too fun a thread and I'm not trying to be a political activist! But I will be if that means I get to run over Zombies in a Deuce and half! Lol!

·
Registered
820 Posts
When the rest of the site wakes up to this in the morning, they'll be a collective "what were those 3 smokin' refrain around CCT! Lol!

Long live the CCT Zombie Squad! The apocalypse is upon us! :eek: now what did I do with my keys?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Zombie Bros need Karma! I got ur backs! Too funny!

·
Registered
800 Posts
RubySu said:
When the rest of the site wakes up to this in the morning, they'll be a collective "what were those 3 smokin' refrain around CCT! Lol!

Long live the CCT Zombie Squad! The apocalypse is upon us! :eek: now what did I do with my keys?
Haha, well I woke up, but I can't make fun of you! I'm slowly beginning to acquire and prep this kind of stuff also. Got a bit of stuff at home,and a bug out bag thats always in my car.

The premise of this thread made me laugh too, because I was telling my wife about this same idea a few weeks ago while we were driving. Not that the XV is the best apocalypse car ever, but for a consumer car that is presumably going to be around me when shtf, its not a bad choice!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I agree Alex! It's a darn good vehicle for just about any occasion. Seems like this "prepper" phenomenon is more prevalent than I thought...good for you.

Anyone else out there?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[for a consumer car that is presumably going to be around me when shtf, its not a bad choice!]

Exactly. My question was intended to be about the best everyday vehicle that also serves for zombie apocalypse purposes, but I'm glad I didn't specify that or I would have missed out on a cool pic and cool discussions about some really badass zombie-squashing vehicles.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ehhh... I find I feel sorry for zombies. The poor miserable blokes are cumbersome, lethargic, extremely redundant, and sloppy as they seem to leave a trail of goo in their wake.

Now, if we're talking good old fashioned fire and brimstone, cataclysmic end-of-days kind of thing... I'm ready! Considering the fact that it will probably start off with a single EMP (whether by lightening of nature or induced by man), it will render everything electronic to a completely useless state in the first place (bye bye hybrids). Forget the hidey-hole if you're lucky enough to live through that maybe because you're just outside of blast area. Nope... In my years, I've come to appreciate going on the lighter side. I figure, cars are out of the picture at this point... I figure.... I got my LPCs (leather personnel carriers aka boots), I can march to whatever the next necessity is, be it food, water, shelter, or scout out the nearest abandoned Circle K for Twinkies.

Don't get me wrong... I'm all about EOD preparedness. Got MREs stored just for that reason. But, if the big poof happened, and I managed to live through that, I'd be happy with my LPCs, 2 side arms, torso armor, rapid fire M16 (sporterized of course.. And you know how I mean), cross-holstered on the back with the double barrel. Nawww, scratch the double barrel. Make that my AR17 Colt Armalite Golden Gun Shotgun (http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/the-galleries/the-new-prosperity/case-44-the-mother-of-invention-cartridge-technology/ArmaLite-ar-17-golden-gun-shotgun.aspx), I been needing to get it out for something anyway, and it weighs a lot less. Bag up a couple Bouncing Betties, and maybe one incendiary for good measure, and I'd be happy. Hmm.. Might add my Apache hip knife and a reminder copy on how to do the Apache 8 Days of Death on someone, and I'm all set. Well I figure anything else I need, I'll know it when I find it.

Yep... This sounds like the test of all tests. Heck... I'm in. :)

·
Registered
820 Posts
VariousPositions said:
[for a consumer car that is presumably going to be around me when shtf, its not a bad choice!]

Exactly. My question was intended to be about the best everyday vehicle that also serves for zombie apocalypse purposes, but I'm glad I didn't specify that or I would have missed out on a cool pic and cool discussions about some really badass zombie-squashing vehicles.
Hey VP- if you like what Subir_roo posted, go to Ebay and search military vehicles. There is a man out there that rebuilds them to exacting detail. You'll know its him because he also sells dry goods and MREs. He's out of California. I've more than once almost pulled the trigger on his auctions but have yet to. Once I get my place in the mountains set- then I can turn attention that way.

This was/is a great thread and I appreciate your creativity since you've come aboard the site. In fact, I feel as if I know some of these people on here though we've never met. Like the members who contributed to this thread....seem like the kind of folks id share my foxhole with.....good people.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
An MRAP with proper NBC protection would do best.

Many theories regarding human "zombies" often have the motif of a virus or fungus infecting the human population, hence, NBC protection is absolutely crucial for the prevention of further infection of those in the vehicle. This would require a specialty HVAC and specially-sealed cabin (meaning airtight doors)

Physical guards against physical invasion include but are not limited to metal mesh guards, bullet/explosion-resistant windows/glass, reinforced and guarded undercarriage, reinforced front and rear push bumpers, exterior roll-cage to prevent extra damage to body due to rollover.

Also, extraction tools such as winches, sand revocery devices, and tow-hooks are necessary for situations where one's vehicle is stuck.

Survival of the tires is crucial for escape and mobility, so run-flat tires are necessary.

As fo repair, common sizes are ideal. It seems metric is becoming more and more common, so a metric vehicle may be ideal. In addition, if there is a common vehicle platform, that may actually be more optimal for simple repair of one's vehicle, with the compromise of a mediocre-engineered vehicle.

Or my super-silly list here for my own personal civilian-version

My Subaru Tribeca EZ36 (facelift) modification wishlist

Engine
* RalliTEK 5EAT Transmission Mount Insert
* custom stiffer engine mounts [or retrofit right D1010FE110, left D1010FE120]
* custom stiffer upper transmission mount "pitching stopper" (engine/trans connecter) [or retrofit D1040FE000]
* replace fasteners of engine mounts with ARP heavy-duty fasteners with applicable threadlock

Lubrication system
* custom external engine oil cooler with thermostat (such as a Greddy Oil Cooler Kit) in addition to stock oil cooler
* custom baffled oil pan
* FA/FB/EZ specific STI Sports Oil Filter P/N ST15208ST000
* normal use: Idemitsu/Subaru Synthetic 5W-30; severe duty: Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40 motor oil (SAE viscosity 5W-40)

Cooling system
* high-pressure radiator cap such as STI Radiator Cap P/N ST4511355010 or Cosworth 20027841 (1.3 bar)/20027842 (1.5 bar)
* Holts radweld into radiator per Subaru's warranty procedures for cooling system (via Subaru Cooling System Conditioner)
* upgraded fans (custom fans with more fanblades to fit OEM cooling system)
* optional external transmission oil cooler (that comes with towing package Trailer Hitch P/N L101SXA100) Transmission Oil Cooler part number D551SXA000 or upgraded, re-routed (external air-to-oil) transmission oil cooler
* custom heavy-duty silicone radiator hoses
* custom cooling-fan programming (for long idle periods) with fan cut-off switch (for deep water crossings)
* fine-mesh integrated radiator guard (mounted behind grille)
* STI Radiator Support Bushings Impreza 2008-2011 [B4510FG000]

Exhaust system
* custom stainless-steel cat-back exhaust with Bosal mufflers
* custom heavy-duty impact-resistant exhaust mounting with skid/deflecting plates

Intake and supply sustem
* dry high-flow intake filter (such as STI ST1654621010 or Cosworth COS1 20002278]

Engine electronic
* high-output alternator (preferrably at least 160 amps) such as Large Case Denso Hairpin 230 Amp XP series alternator 230 Amp XP High Output Alternator for Subaru Forester, Legacy, Impreza
* wide open throttle air conditioner cutoff
* NGK Iridium IX spark plugs [P/N LFR6AIX-11, Stock No. 6619, plug gap shipped 0.044")
* custom stand-alone engine management such as Cosworth ECPro

Automatic transmission
* custom stiffer transmission mount [or retrofit D1010FE020/D1010FE000]
** miscellaneous breather tube extensions [differentials, transmission, etc]
* Exedy Friction Technics Catalog parts used for transmission overhaul/rebuild

Drivetrain
** miscellaneous breather tube extensions [differentials, transmission, etc]
* rear differential member assembly-front (P/N 41310AG02B used in Legacy too) equipped with Whiteline Rear Diff Positive Power Kit Bushings P/N KDT905
* Bushing assembly-differential mounting R (P/N 41322AG00A used in Legacy too) equipped with Whiteline Rear Diff Positive Power Kit Inserts (rear diff, rear mount to subframe) P/N KDT903 or heavy-duty P/N KDT906
* custom-made torsen rear differential?

Suspension and axle
* custom stiffer overload springs (from custom spring manufacturers such as Coil Spring Specialties at Coil Spring Specialties)
* KYB Excel-G struts [SB105 FRONT BOOTS, 335055 FRONT LEFT, 335054 FRONT RIGHT, 341403 REAR, SB107 REAR BOOTS]
* custom thicker anti-roll bars/anti-sway bars (from custom anti-sway bar manufacturers such as Quickor Garage) with quick disconnect fasteners
* replace fasteners of subframes and miscellaneous suspension components with ARP heavy-duty fasteners with applicable threadlock
* custom reinforced or custom-built subframes
* custom front and rear (upgrade rear support brace) subframe bracing
* Cusco Front swaybar Endlinks Subaru WRX/STI 2002-2013 Cusco P/N [667 318 A] used on front and rear anti-roll bars
* Whiteline Rear Trailing Arm Front Bushing Kit Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2013 WRX/STI) Whiteline P/N [W0568] used on rear hub assembly (known as knuckle bushing/pillow ball bushing)
* custom lower chassis brace (links both ends of front crossmember (like STI Lower Arm Bar) with front subframe)
* custom heavy-duty half driveshafts compatible with stock drivetrain by The Driveshaft Shop

Brake system
* Goodridge G-Stop Brakeline Kit (stainless steel, part number 24217)
* Motul DOT 4 brake fluid such as RBF 600 Factory Line
* Hawk Performance HPS Street brake pads (front HB533F.668, rear HB671F.628) or Brembo GT brake swap (for BM/BR Legacy/Outback 2.5GT/3.6R) front (black 6-piston slotted front 1M2.8034A1) 1M2.8034A, rear (black 4-piston slotted rear 2P2.8020A1) 2P2.8020A
* custom master cylinder brace
* heat reflecting shield wrapping on master cylinder

Steering
* retrofit Honda Ridgeline "Cooler, Power Steering Oil", Honda P/N 53765-SJC-A03 or custom external power steering cooler
* Motul Multi ATF
* reinforced tie-rod and other reinforceable material/components stiffened

Wheel
* custom 18x8 alloy-look-painted steel wheels (preferably with large vent holes for decent brake cooling and Subaru TPMS compatibility) [bolt pattern 5x114.3 AKA 5x4.5, Offset 55 (2.17)]
* regular tires: Pirelli Scorpion Zero 255/55R18
* winter tires: Dunlop Grandtrek WT M3 ROF or Goodyear Ultra Grip SUV RunOnFlat [255/55R18]
* OEM wheel locks w/ spare wheel lock adapters in emergency kit

Body
* miscellaneous unibody welding
* bedliner coated undercarriage (body only, for protecting bottom of body and unibody from damage)
* "stealthy sliders", reinforced unibody lip (for off-road abuse)
* custom front and rear off-road/push bumpers with tow-hooks, winch mount, rubber push-guard, light mounts, etc. mounted to unibody
* custom mechanical rear hatch door-handle connection (interior emergency exit knob, exterior locks like older Subaru models, for when battery is dead)
* custom bulletproof ceramic plates, kevlar sheets, or bullet resistant fiberglass sheets installed on all doors, hood, tailgate/rear hatch and firewall from trusted manufacturers such as BLS Textiles (supplies Ford CVPI and PI Sedan ballistic plates) BLS Textiles Contact Us
* clear Plasti Dip throughout exterior of vehicle with painted surfaces

Body equipment - exterior
* hidden brake cooling ducts
* custom triangulated strut-tower brace with additional engine bay/front end bracing (such as cowl plate stiffening, triangulated bracing from area near struts to front-end, etc)
* Primitive Racing Tribeca [H6] Front Skidplate 3/16"
* Primitive Racing 2010-2013 Outback [5EAT] Transmission Skidplate
* Primitive Racing 2010-2013 Outback H6 Rear Skidplate
* secondary smaller side rearview mirrors (similar to Volvo police package) mounted on door window frame
* metal mesh fog lamp covers (imitates STI fog light covers that let light shine through while protect lights)
* rally underfender (known as fenderliners or fender liners) mud guard (made of Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene [UHMW-PE]
* Subaru bumper corner molds
* door jam guard (anti-door ding)
* custom blend-in light reflectors (light reflector same color as paint)
* custom rear bumper small low-profile underspoiler/diffuser

Body equipment - interior
* RalliTEK 52mm Oil Pressure Gauge or other
* additional gauges [oil temp, oil pressure, volts, AT oil temp, R.diff temp] by Auto Meter (low-key such as Z-Series Gauges)
* interior fire extinguisher mounts (preferrably under front seats)
* Subaru all-weather floor mats
* custom rear seatback protectors (2nd and 3rd row seats)
* bucket seat reinforcement (anti-stab plates)
* custom/retrofit Panasonic Toughbook hidden storage/charging mount

Electronic
* upgraded Hella Twin Supertone horn kit (300hz/500hz) P/N 003399801 and/or PIAA Automotive Supererior Bass Horn (330hz/400hz) P/N 85115
* upgraded headlight and fog light bulbs
* heavy-duty battery (preferrably at least 720 CCA 70-amp hour, OEM/stock CCA is 490) such as Deka Intimidator - AGM - Valve Regulated [9A35/85] or OPTIMA® Batteries 8040-218 D35 YELLOWTOP
* heavy-duty grounding kit (8ga cables/wiring) by Paranoid Fabrications or custom
* integrated or external rear fog lights
* Volvo-style integrated Side Positioning Lights, preferably LEDs (allows corners of vehicle to be seen in daytime as well as night)
* integrated, low-profile surveillance cameras throughout vehicle (various angles allow for maximum evidence) such as Pro-Car Cam with DVR
* twin Subaru Baja Sport Activity Lights retrofit P/N H1410LS200 or PIAA driving lights mounted in front of grille
* Subaru Mobile Internet (Autonet Mobile in-car Internet Service) P/N H001SAJ200
* additional power outlets throughout interior

Climate
* gas-mask-filtered cabin filter (ABEK-P3, CO, Hg, Reactor, P; one or combination of multiple filter classifications layered) with total NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) protection
Other
* full-size spare w/ regular tire or winter tire (as equipped)
* complete tool/emergency/EMT/CLS/roadside/hazmat kit w/ USA Level A/Europe Type 1 hazmat suit
* chock blocks and drip pans for parking
* Subaru/Robin R1700i Inverter - Silent Generator

additional Accessories (incomplete)
* hood protector
* front bumper underguard (w/ bedliner product)
* bumper corner molding-rear (2 pair)
* rear bumper cover
* security system shock sensor
* detatchable trailer hitch
* Subaru severe weather companion
* luggage compartment cover, black - retractable
* cargo net, rear
* cargo net, rear seatback
* compartment separator/dog guard
* rear dome/reading light (w/ custom additional low-key red light)
* auto-dimming mirror/compass
* cargo tray - gray, 7 passenger
* crossbar kit, aero
* heavy duty roof cargo basket
* battery warmer

·
Registered
820 Posts
AWDFreak- you're kidding right?! MRAP? The average person may as well request a seat on Air Force 1!!

While I admire your list and its detailed accoutrements. If there is a EMP and you don't have a carbureted engine, you're not going anywhere. Did i miss that on your mod list? As I'm sure you know, fuel injection requires exact metering generally controlled by a ECU. If that's not functioning, well, you know the rest of the story.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Darn it, AWDfreak, you're right, run-flat tires should be a mandatory item. See, this is why I stopped watching that show Doomsday Preppers, it caused me too much anxiety about my lack of preparedness. I guess my Crosstrek will be seriously deficient as an apocalypse vehicle until I have to replace the tires. Fortunately it already has the tire pressure monitoring system.

I'd have to look more into the ride of run-flat tires, though, I've heard they ride rough. Maybe a decent one will come out by the time my tires are running bare. If there is one that provides an acceptable ride, they would eliminate one of my complaints about the Crosstrek -- the lack of interior out-of-sight storage, as I could get rid of the spare tire.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts