Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the biggest tire you can stick on a Crosstrek before it rubs? I went and checked some out at the Suby dealer and it seems like the tires on there are a little underwhelming...

thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure what the biggest could be but it is nice to have suspension travel. :p

You might have to check with a custom rim store if you are looking to have some 22s on it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
even if you can't go (much) bigger, i am sure there will be all types of more aggressive tires available...are the stock tires BAD?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jascha said:
Not sure what the biggest could be but it is nice to have suspension travel. :p

You might have to check with a custom rim store if you are looking to have some 22s on it.
Haha, no, no...not trying to put 22s or anything crazy on there. I am talking about bigger TIRES, aka more rubber between the road and the wheel. I don't actually have my Crosstrek yet though so maybe i am wrong, but it just seems the stock tires on there are a little underwhelming...maybe im wrong?

·
Registered
39 Posts
CouchPotato said:
...are the stock tires BAD?
I would say after putting 3k miles on them they are very good. Lots of mechanical grip on tarmac and off-road they have gone over sharp rocks and other unfriendly things like a champ. Don't really have anything to compare them to but happy with them so far. It rained like crazy here in LA last week for 3-4 days straight and performed well the traction control light never came on once even trying to make it come on. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Speaking of biggest tires... What's the smallest wheel diameter the XV can run? The spare is a 16 inch wheel, but can 15 inch wheels fit? Or are the brakes too large for 15s? The most-compatible all-terrain tire sizes seem to coincide with the XV's tires with 15 inch diameter wheels...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have had the car in rain and heavy snow with zero tire issues. I think the AWD has a lot to do with its great ability in the snow. The tires are like any other all season when it comes to braking in the snow though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My thoughts about the wheels and tires are that they are almost perfect. The size of the rim is great, looks really good against the side of the XVC plus the tire sixe is pretty good also. The Yoko tires are great for all weather that I've had. In the Chicago area, we can get loads of snow, rain, slush and ice and many times in the same day. All in all, the tires are pretty good. Although, a more all terrain tire would look cool!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I almost took my new one over to my tire guy before it got a hundred miles and trade them for a set of the AT-S's.
They would be a 60-series instead of 55, so I imaging the tire would sit a quarter inch or so closer to the wheelwell trim. I've had to trim fenders on other cars/trucks to clear tires, so that's what you do if necessary.

Since mine will see 99% dry pavement I decided to take the better ride and quietness of the stockers. For anyone wanting to venture off pavement these get really high marks from other soft-roaders.

So I looked up specs...the HT-S available size for 'trek is 225-60-17, 99H rating so really close to the stockers (95H). A heavier tire would not be an advantage in ride or handling. Overall diamter is 27.6", the ones that came on the car are 26.8", so yeah, about three-eighths to half inch or so less clearance. Should fit no problem. I would really like to see a set of these on one, get a report how they go. Noisy I'll bet, but damn good off pavement. 8)

EDIT: BTW, did some more checking and I think the 215 size of this tire would be even better. It's 27.1" in diamter and 96H rating. Would make a REALLy good offroad tire for the car. Not going to handle as well on road though, a little taller and a little narrower.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
For all-terrain tires, I still prefer the General Grabber AT2 and BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO because both have the snowflake winter rating. Does the A/T-S have it also?

·
Registered
194 Posts
AWDfreak said:
For all-terrain tires, I still prefer the General Grabber AT2 and BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO because both have the snowflake winter rating. Does the A/T-S have it also?
1. Neither of those tires are available in a size that would reasonably fit the 'trek.
2. I have never liked General brand tires. I also do not care for korean tires. So I scratch a lot of brands off before I even shop. Favorites are Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli, Yokohama, Toyo, Goodrich, and possibly Bridgestone, but after their purchase of Firestone I'm not so sure. I will never forget the ford explorer debacle. Uniroyal neither. Contenental, Sumitomo neither. I had good luck with Nitto as well, ran them on the bimmer for many years.
3. TKO's are a very hard riding tire. Super long wear, but comfort is not their forte. Good offroad as well.

I just thought the Yokohama AT-S would make an ideal aggressive offroad tire for the Crosstrek. I'm fairly confident they are snow-rated as well, however there are several other 'snow tires' to choose from that may be better suited for snow specifically.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I was looking for a beefier tire for the XV too. The "AT-S" would look awesome! I'm shocked I can't find anyone that did it, yet. The XV has been overseas longer than us.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The A/T-S is a mud and snow rated tire. At least the ones on my forester were. I liked that tire a lot, much better road manners than the Grabber/BFG.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
CJBROWN said:
AWDfreak said:
1. Neither of those tires are available in a size that would reasonably fit the 'trek.
2. I have never liked General brand tires. I also do not care for korean tires. So I scratch a lot of brands off before I even shop. Favorites are Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli, Yokohama, Toyo, Goodrich, and possibly Bridgestone, but after their purchase of Firestone I'm not so sure. I will never forget the ford explorer debacle. Uniroyal neither. Contenental, Sumitomo neither. I had good luck with Nitto as well, ran them on the bimmer for many years.
3. TKO's are a very hard riding tire. Super long wear, but comfort is not their forte. Good offroad as well.

I just thought the Yokohama AT-S would make an ideal aggressive offroad tire for the Crosstrek. I'm fairly confident they are snow-rated as well, however there are several other 'snow tires' to choose from that may be better suited for snow specifically.
Well I guess that sets my future choice of tire. I was hoping I could squeeze on some 15" rally wheels with some BFGs or Generals.

·
Registered
194 Posts
AWDfreak said:
Well I guess that sets my future choice of tire. I was hoping I could squeeze on some 15" rally wheels with some BFGs or Generals.
Franky, I think you would hate TKO's on a 'trek.

If you want to open it up to some more truck-type radial traction tires, a 16" wheel might make sense. You may find a 70-series tire in the right diameter. If there's a wheel that would fit you're looking at 12-15-hundred bucks and up. Road handling would suffer greatly though, the lower profile tires handle cornering a lot better.

But if you're really determined to go this route, I would call Tire Rack and have them make recommendations base on wheel specs - like offset and whether they need a centering ring, something that fits the hub. You need to find out the difference between offset on a regular impreza and 'trek, perhaps some of those would fit.

I did a quick search there and they don't even list any wheels for Crosstrek yet, so there aren't any pattern or offset numbers. But Impreza standard is 5x100, the 'trek could be the same or 5x114. Offset looks to be 5-1/2 to 6-1/2. And there are a few tires that might fit, even a TKO in 215-70-16 at 28" in diameter.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts