Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Drilled/slotted rotors on a street car are a terrible idea. They'll warp and crack in a daily driving situation.

I've always been a fan of Akebono pads and Centric rotors with their e-coating on the hubs. Both available on Amazon. Had a good experience w/ both on my WRX.

I'm not familiar w/ Power Stop... I supposed this kit wouldn't be bad if it had standard rotors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just installed Power Stop Sport Z23 brake pads last Wednesday. (the same ones used in the 1 click brake kit) I kept the OEM rotors since the were in excellent condition.
I only have about 100 miles on them but so far they are a noticeable improvement over OEM (Akebono) brake pads. Firmer, more solid pedal feel. The soft, mushy feeling is gone. Good stopping power without being grabby. I intend post a report here after I get more miles and experience with them.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Drilled/slotted rotors on a street car are a terrible idea. They'll warp and crack in a daily driving situation.

I've always been a fan of Akebono pads and Centric rotors with their e-coating on the hubs. Both available on Amazon. Had a good experience w/ both on my WRX.

I'm not familiar w/ Power Stop... I supposed this kit wouldn't be bad if it had standard rotors.
Believe it or not, even just drilled rotors on a race car have a high risk of cracking.

What it comes to rotors that are drilled, slotted, and/or dimpled, a very large rotor is needed to offset the loss in structural integrity.

The XV Crosstrek's factory size rotors are NOT optimal in any way for drilled, slotted, or dimpled rotors. It would almost exclusively be cosmetic.

If one is hell-bent on getting the slots, rotors, and/or dimples, it is best to go with slots and/or dimples.

Outright drilled rotors are a nightmare waiting to happen. DON'T DO IT unless you are using it as a show car only (NOT a vehicle for driving).

Even Brembo says that drilled rotors are not to be used for heavy/severe use application, they are exclusively cosmetic and serve no real performance purpose.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great feedback... That is why I asked. Didn't want to make a snafu. I need brakes for spirited driving and towing. The original OEMs after 28000 quick miles are about gone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts