Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this was a thing of the past, but as I was tossing through the owners manual I noticed some guidelines to follow beneath 1000 miles on the ODO.

One that confuses me is a guideline that pretty much says don't travel long distances at the same speed. Which leads me to wonder what their definition of long is. Next weekend, for Easter, I will have to drive 175 miles north to visit family; is this too long to long to hold the same speed/RPM under 1,000 miles?

Just want to make sure my new pride and joy has everything break in properly. If this is inadvisable I'll drive up in my wife's car.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
From what I understand, you just have to keep the rpm fluctuating. Shift it yourself. Whether 5mt or cvt, shift it yourself. And add in lots of stops. Bathroom breaks, snack breaks, scenic breaks, whatever.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yeah... keep the RPM's fluctuating as said.... easy with either 5MT or CVT.... it's a pain... but I finally made it.....

·
Registered
714 Posts
Don't forget to engine brake! It's very important for setting the rings correctly and should be done quite a bit during the first miles on the car. It's easy with both the CVT and 5-speed and really you should continue to do it for the life of the car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume I can do no harm engine braking every occasion as long as I don't exceed 4,000 RPM, right?

I Think I have 160 miles today. Most of my driving is city/rural. Cruising speed ranges between 30 and 60 from work and back. That seems good for varying RPM's.

·
Registered
714 Posts
That's just fine. Just like any aspect of engine break in you don't want to get to those really high RPMS. But engine braking under 4k should be just fine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've done 500 km over the last week. Did some stretches of highway driving (30 km, Belgium is a small country) and I varied speed somewhat, dropping to 100 and accelerating back up to 120. I've also been in two major traffic jams already...
Engine braking is a normal part of my driving style, so I think I've got that covered.

I tried to keep revs below 3000 for the first 500 km. I'll rev to 3500 for the next 250 or so and then rev to 4000 until I reach 1500 km. You can feel how far a new engine wants to go. After the 1500 km marker, the gloves come off ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would not worry about that distance. As others have said just vary your rpms and keep it under 4k revs. I hit my 1k miles in the middle of last week which is a little over 2 weeks since I drove her off the lot! After the 1k drive her like you stole her! ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
i know this is an old topic but...

while waiting for break-in period, i just realized all this "safe" driving could be for northing.
the car actually had 110 miles when i picked up.
according to the dealer the car had extra 100 miles because it was a trade with another dealer.
if the person that drove the car beat on it on first 100 miles, what good is it for me to be "easy" on my car
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
552 Posts
powerbook76 said:

while waiting for break-in period, i just realized all this "safe" driving could be for northing.
according to the dealer the car had extra 100 miles because it was a trade with another dealer.
if the person that drove the car beat on it on first 100 miles, what good is it for me to be "easy" on my car

I bet in those 1st 100 miles the original dealer let people probably drive it like they stole it so I'm thinking you probably have a car that will develop real problems down the road. High oil consumption. Transmission problems. Bad Muffler bearings I bet it was wrecked too! Yup...a real lemon. :'( :'(

·
Registered
54 Posts
powerbook76 said:

In my experience most dealers have older retired guys doing the dealer transfers because of their flexible schedules. But who knows? In reality that 100 miles is only about 10% of the break-in miles so unless they red lined it for the entire 100 miles it will be fine. Mine had 130 miles on the odometer from a dealer transfer and I'm not worried. I have over 8000 miles now and no problems. :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just to note, the high oil consumption issue with these cars is a PARTS problem, not a break in problem. Generally, regardless of break in, if it's going to burn a metric ton of oil there's nothing you can do about it. It's an issue with the rings. Good break in will help a good motor lead a long life, but if you happen to have one with bad rings even a good break in wont save it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
GT-Tom said:
powerbook76 said:

In my experience most dealers have older retired guys doing the dealer transfers because of their flexible schedules. But who knows? In reality that 100 miles is only about 10% of the break-in miles so unless they red lined it for the entire 100 miles it will be fine. Mine had 130 miles on the odometer from a dealer transfer and I'm not worried. I have over 8000 miles now and no problems. :D
ya i sure hope everything will be fine! thank you!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.