Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. Please tell me if I'm posting this in the wrong spot.

I was quoted around $1200 to replace the entire bumper after a scrape from another car in the parking deck. The guy at the collision center claimed that repainting would affect the radar sensors due to paint thickness and recommended replacing the entire bumper. I read that "Subaru states that 'the system may not be able to properly detect an obstacle' in scenarios, including: A sticker, paint, or a chemical is applied to the rear bumper near the sonar sensor," but this scrape seems to be pretty far from the sensor. Is there any real concern for the sensors being affected by painting the area? The paint is "White Pearl."

2019XTrekDamage.jpg 2019XTrekDamage2.jpg

I appreciate any and all feedback.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When they did mine, they painted the entire bumper. I don’t have sensors though. If the damage was the black parts of the bumper the claims person said they would have to replace the entire thing and that would be a genuine Subaru part. I would think you could cover the sensors and paint around it. But I’m not an expert though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When they did mine, they painted the entire bumper. I don’t have sensors though. If the damage was the black parts of the bumper the claims person said they would have to replace the entire thing and that would be a genuine Subaru part. I would think you could cover the sensors and paint around it. But I’m not an expert though.
Ah, so you think they would have to paint the entire bumper for this? It does seem like they could remove/cover the sensors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, all. Please tell me if I'm posting this in the wrong spot.

I was quoted around $1200 to replace the entire bumper after a scrape from another car in the parking deck. The guy at the collision center claimed that repainting would affect the radar sensors due to paint thickness and recommended replacing the entire bumper. I read that "Subaru states that 'the system may not be able to properly detect an obstacle' in scenarios, including: A sticker, paint, or a chemical is applied to the rear bumper near the sonar sensor," but this scrape seems to be pretty far from the sensor. Is there any real concern for the sensors being affected by painting the area? The paint is "White Pearl."

View attachment 10483 View attachment 10484

I appreciate any and all feedback.
Go to another shop. If it were mine, I'd get some wax and rubbing compound and 'fix' it myself. It will be good enough that you won't notice it. Your car will have a little character, not jewelry anymore.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The correct question is really: who is paying for the repair? Did someone hit you and you have their insurance information? Then the answer is yes, get a whole new bumper. If the answer is that you are going to pay for this out of pocket, then decide what you can live with--a small scratch and a dent to the plastic OR not. If "not," then do what "Studly" suggested and get another estimate from another shop first. But that does, at least from the photos, look like the "scratch" is really something that will buff off with a minimal amount of effort.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm having a hard time telling how deep that scratch really is. To me it doesn't look too bad, like something you could kind of fix with some touch up paint. It wouldn't be anything near perfect but it wouldn't stick out as much. If the body shop is doing it, I imagine they would have to paint the whole bumper to make it blend well.

As far as the sensors go, this isn't over any parking sensors but I believe that the sensors for RCTA/BSD are located in those back corners of the bumper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts