Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many threads and I am still confused about the new 2018 Cross treks on new frames. So what is the best AT tire to get put on stock rims from dealer? I do not see need to buy new rims and tires if I don't need to.

Using this in Mountains of NC this winter not real heavy off roading for now.

I am willing to get all this done at dealer and need to specify which AT tires I want before purchase. From my understanding the Bf Goodrich Ko2 or the yokohama Geolandar A/t-s 225/60R17 are best. Any one suggest something that works for the stock premium package rims?

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
IMO, I prefer tires that are closest to stock-size.

For the 17" wheels, sticking to the 225/60R17 size you mentioned would be best. Tire Rack lists the Continental TerrainContact A/T and the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S (G012) as all-terrain tires available in that size.

For 18" wheels, it would be the 225/55R18 that would be best. Tire Rack lists the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 as the sole all-terrain tire available in the 18" tire size.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Ok thank you. Seems to be limited options at this point?
Both tire sizes in general have very limited options. We should be grateful these all-terrain options for these tire sizes even exist!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Both tire sizes in general have very limited options. We should be grateful these all-terrain options for these tire sizes even exist!

I really don’t have any knowledge about tire size, but am interested in something more aggressive. What is the difference in changing to 60? Will this change the handling or fit issues? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I really don’t have any knowledge about tire size, but am interested in something more aggressive. What is the difference in changing to 60? Will this change the handling or fit issues? Thanks

The OP inquired about the third generation (MY2018 to probably 2022) Subaru XV (Crosstrek), which shares the same exact tire sizes as the 4th gen Forester. That Forester, which spans model years 2014-2018, has these two listed tire sizes:

225/60R17
225/55R18

The recommended closest-to-stock all-terrain tire size for the 2nd gen Subaru XV (Crosstrek) [MY2013-2017] would be in 215/60R17, which is slightly larger than the stock 225/55R17. The only two all-terrain tires available in that size are the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S (G012) and Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015.

Having a larger sidewall improves off-road capability as it means more tire volume to conform to terrain, which can lead to increased traction. However, it does have a trade-off of increasing the risk of the sidewall "rolling over" under hard cornering.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Got it, thanks. I wasn’t aware that the 18 had a slightly different size stock rim for the 17”. That makes sense. As you state, there is now an option for a more aggressive tire. Someone from Subaru was listening.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The stiffness they've added to the car makes up for the 60 series tire. I took one for a test drive. Was pretty amazed at the traction it had and the stability it showed compared to my 16 with BFG Comp 2s and the 20 mm rear sway bar.

I got to get it sideways on two turns in the wet. Super easy to keep control. The saleman was pretty amazed, I told him now he knew what they were capable of. lol I can't wait for mine to get to me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I go all over the country in my 16 Crosstrek (retired!) - 60% pavement, 15% city and 25% off pavement (rocks, sand, mud, snow - whatever). I run the 215/65/16 BFG KO2's AND the 225/60/17 TerrainContacts. Depends on where I'm going. The BFG's are a beast, I have them on my Jeep also. Noisier but I have complete confidence in them. Still at 11/32's (13/32 new) with almost 17K on them.

In regards to the Conti TerrainContacts that AWDfreak referred to. Smoother, quieter and ok off pavement (no BFG). BUT...after 6000 miles, at rotation, they were already at 9/32's (12/32 new). That might change, but I doubt it. So I am really hesitate in recommending. We'll see how long they go, but they aren't a 60K tire IMO - not even close.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts