Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone doing it every 7500 miles like the maintenance schedule calls for? Seems excessive. Some dealers don't even install them!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Not I. Is it behind the glove box? The Lexus dealer wanted $95 to change it on my wife's 350. I think I may have came off a little rude when I laughed out loud in the serviceman's office! " Are you kidding me"? I chuckled ;D. I usually throw one in around 30K just to say I did.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Pretty sure they're still up there behind the glove box. I'll probably pull mine out and look at it somewhere around the 7500 mark but I doubt it'll need to be changed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It was over $300 to change in my Volvo. It took about an hour and you had to remove the gas pedal and be a contortionist to reach it. It will be nice if all I have to do is pull the glovebox with this car. Can anybody confirm that is where it is?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Crosstrek one is behind the glovebox. Remove the damper shaft and push the stoppers on the sides in as far as they can go. Pull the box out. The air filter is directly behind that and easy to get to.

Might be a dealer part for now. None of the local parts guys know what a Crosstrek is or have listings for them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Twist2Stop said:
The Crosstrek one is behind the glovebox. Remove the damper shaft and push the stoppers on the sides in as far as they can go. Pull the box out. The air filter is directly behind that and easy to get to.

Might be a dealer part for now. None of the local parts guys know what a Crosstrek is or have listings for them.
If the glovebox is that easy to remove it's at least worth checking the condition in either the fall or spring. You'd be surprised how much more they do filter than say the engine air filter. And the intake ducting is pretty open. There are also reasons to change it seasonly, especially in rural areas. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/899981-post12.html and bbottomley changes his once a year!!

An even smarter idea is to buy one in advance in case upon inspection, you really need to change it, you have it on hand. I change mine in the fall what with the heater on and windows up I'm counting on the filter more. It would be the same in warmer climates when running the air conditioning.

There are a few suppliers listing aftermarket cabin filters like RockAuto.com, AutoZone and Fram since they're the same as the 2011+ Imprezas. Not sure what the OEM is priced at but the aftermarket is in the $20-24 range.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Has anyone tried one of these aftermarket cabin air filters? http://www.filterheads.com/product/single/AQ1149. With free shipping, it's one of the least expensive options I have seen. The place I used to buy cabin air filters for my Foresters (logical-source) does not seem to be in business (at least the web site is no longer up and running) any longer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just an update on my post above. I can give a thumbs up recommendation on http://www.filterheads.com/product/single/AQ1149 for cabin air filters. I ordered three earlier in the week. Package arrived, but they made a mistake and only sent one filter. Emailed them and they immediately gave me a new tracking number to send me the other two. Price was great, as was customer service.

·
Registered
611 Posts
This doesn't make any sense every 30 months for engine air filter. That's the filter the engine sucks to get clean air. But the cabin filter it needs to be changed every 15 months and it's just inside the car. And if you use the cabin air recycle mode, how is the cabin air filter going to get dirty? This should be the opposite! Engine filter 15 months, cabin air filter 30 months, unless you fart allot! LOL! http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance-2013.html#maintenance

·
Registered
567 Posts
I replace mine yearly, with a quick check every 6 months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I told them off on my 3rd oil change when they tried selling me a air filter for $95, they reply Sir make sure you use a Subaru filter... so I went online "Subaru online parts dot com all one word" in their waiting room as they serviced my car and bought them for $16 and $20

after many choice words at them on checkout and showing him the Prices I paid they no longer try to sell me overpriced items anymore

·
Registered
611 Posts
Just got done with washing mine with some laundry soap, looks brand new! Found out Ebay sells them for about $10. In the car industry, Service Centers are called Revenue Centers! ;D

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought a cabin air filter from subaru for my wifes impreza right before she sold it, fortunately I didn't put it in before she did. It was only $27 from the parts dept but when I tried to return it they told me to hold onto it and put it in my car when it got to that time. Apparently though the cabin air filter is the same for the Impreza, Forester, and Crosstrek for sure and a good chance it fits in the other makes as well, so I just gifted it to my father-in-law for his wifes old Impreza.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts