Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year I try to plan one or two camping trips. Living in Colorado, I have lots of spaces to try out. I don't have any plans so far this year. I was wondering, what your plans are for this year?

Scott

·
Registered
26 Posts
Most of the "camping" folks do around here in NEPA is in campgrounds that I think resemble RV parks more than anything in nature. They put a few fire rings a couple of yards off the paved road and call it camping. We do use them once or twice a year to access fishing spots and get together with family cheaply, but we don't call it camping. Public lands here frown on primitive camping, so we end up kayak camping on islands on major rivers. Its a blast! To my shame we didn't make it happen last year, after a couple of years of fun. In past years I've kayak camped on the Susquehanna and the Juniata in PA, and even the Devil's river in Texas.

Gonna fix that this year, and I'm planning on using the XV, with roof racks, hitch mounted racks, and maybe a trailer to get 'er done.

Thomcad

·
Registered
142 Posts
So in Colorado

South Park, North Park, Ouray, Steamboat, The Western Slope (all around Grand Junction), the Flat-Tops. So many places to hit this year. I cant wait. Oh Yeah, the Sand Dunes.. (thanks Wilco)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wife and I are hoping for a trip up to Banff this summer.

The best camping trip so far was in August 2011 we spent a week going through New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Cape Breton in NS is outstanding! Lots of good memories.

Re CO: We had a good time camping for a couple of nights at the Great Sand Dunes on our way down to Taos.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hoping to camp again up in Lone Pine, Ca. The campground there is pretty new and not a lot of people so it's pretty quiet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a kid from Missouri, every year we would take a weeks vacation and go camping up at Tunnel Creek campground just west of Fort Collins. Best vacations ever...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm the Pennsylvania chapter director (and an admin) for a camping club called the TearJerkers. Its an international club of people who mostly have small travel trailers and teardrop campers. All the various chapter directors organize gatherings throughout the season. Its mostly a middle-aged and older crowd - I'm one of the younger members @ 31 - but most of these people still love to kick back and have a good time! Even if you dont have a trailer, they encourage people to stop by the gatherings and check out all the different home-built and factory-built trailers. Always quite a variety. There are even quite a few people who stay in tents for the gatherings because they're either in the planning or building stages.

I've designed and built two convertible teardrops since 2010, designed and helped my buddy and his wife build one last winter, and now I'm in the middle of building my third creation, which should be "campable" in the next few weeks. Its maiden voyage is June 5-7 to Northern PA. This is what my Crosstrek will be towing....

I do a lot of camping trips around PA, MD, & VA with the TearJerkers, but I also organize an annual camping trip for a big group of friends in the state forests of Northern PA. For the TearJerker events we usually have at least a dozen trailers show up, but can often see more than 20. Some of the larger gatherings draw 50+ campers.

Here are my first two teardrops (built in 2010 and 2012)

Hope everyone else has some great trips planned too!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'll be sleeping in a field in Norwalk Ohio for the NHRA national event they hold every year. Used to be in Columbus. This will be my 20th straight year.

I could use one of those teardrops zkaylor! I'll need matching paint and XV wheels, teac mini bar and kitchenette out back. Is a kegorator asking too much? ;D ;D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just spent two nights in Anza Borrego State Park... Largest desert park in the nation, over 1000 square miles, 500 miles of dirt trails and 100 miles of hiking trails. It's an open camping area. So I'd play all day and about sunset start looking for a smooth level spot to pitch a tent...

Attachments

·
Registered
811 Posts
Not really planning on doing any camping but I'm planning a two week road trip that will take to Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands. Plan to go through Yellowstone on the way home. I might take some foam and a sleeping bag to sleep in the XV a few nights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts