Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm using Waze to see/hear navigation in the dash unit, can I use my phone to play a YouTube video or Google Play Music through the car speakers? Like, will the Waze instructions lower the YouTube audio? Or is the phone a separate source that would prevent the Waze navigation from being heard?

Or, could I use Waze on the dash unit while using Google Maps on my phone?

It's kind of hard to explain what I'm asking.

I'm very much against texting/talking while driving, but I do use my mounted phone for a lot of other things. I'm pretty picky about which apps I use to play media and how I do so. From what I've heard, Google Play Music sounds limited on Android Auto compared to the regular GPM app.

Also, if I don't like Android Auto, I can just use my phone as a regular Bluetooth source through the car audio, right?

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
You can stream music via bluetooth just fine.

As far as Android Auto (AA), you have to have your phone plugged in to use it.

There are limited apps that work with it (always expanding list), but you can use Gmaps/Waze at the same time as GPM. You CANT play/use Youtube as is. There was an APK app that hacks it and created a work around. I dont remember what it was called tho.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've read forums and manuals until I'm cross-eyed. Does anyone know how to compose and send a text through the factory head unit? I've tried it with and without Android Auto. Even with the vehicle sitting still and the engine not running, it only let's me choose from the pre-composed text messages to send or reply to a text.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've read forums and manuals until I'm cross-eyed. Does anyone know how to compose and send a text through the factory head unit? I've tried it with and without Android Auto. Even with the vehicle sitting still and the engine not running, it only let's me choose from the pre-composed text messages to send or reply to a text.

Thanks.
You should be able to do this using Android Auto. You cannot do this using the built in head unit function. That will only allow you to use the 10 "pre-composed texts" as you day. With AA running, however, I can say the following command: "Text George: I love my Subaru". The Google assistant then performs this task using your texting application on the phone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts