Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
And this is where the Lineartronic CVT is a better choice.

It really is awesome to see another XV Crosstrek going where most people would never even believe a crossover could traverse. :D

BTW, you might wanna seriously consider some skid plates and rock sliders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have the full set of plates, they did their job well a couple of times and deflecting rocks flying up from under the tires. What I would change going off roading like this is not installing the gorilla flaps, banged them so many times that I had to see if I still got my bumpers. It was an awesome day. I'm working on a roof rack and a full size (OEM wheel/tire) spare next.

ps because the flaps made it sound like my bumpers were hitting the ground

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Skidplates already, sweet!

Yeah, my RallyArmor mudflaps aren't usually happy when I go do some off-roading that truly challenges the XV Crosstrek. I've ripped them maybe twice while off-roading...

Roof-mounted full-size spare is a great idea. Have you considered a rear hitch-mounted spare tire mount? It may be in the way of the tailgate, but it would be easier (and safer) to access than a roof mounted one. Or maybe even mount it at both locations for maximum readiness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want a step with the rear hitch, so people don't bump me when I park and to get to the roof rack. With our Canadian dollar is in the gutter, shopping have to wait for a while lol

Can't wait to go back up north, always keeping an eye out on google earth for not well traveled roads :D Winter is coming soon, that's another fun time with the XV. Still have to get another tow hook.... man this shopping list only getting bigger

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Considering you're in Canada, I'm guessing some all-terrain and/or winter tires are in the works?

I've personally used the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in tire size 215/60R17, which are VERY close to stock tire size, and they do great off-road. They are also supposedly good in winter conditions, though probably cannot match a true dedicated winter tire. However, the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S all-terrain tires are not optimal for dry pavement use as I have found.

With heavy dry-pavement use, some rain, a bit of mud and dirt, my A/T-S tires only lasted 35,000 miles (though I drive VERY hard and spiritedly), and I found it to sacrifice a moderate amount of dry pavement grip, which made me feel a little uneasy in dry conditions, especially during emergency maneuvers and panic-stop braking. As a result, I went back to the stock Yokohama Geolandar G95 tires in P225/55R17.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Already have mags with winters, man I can't believe soon I have to put them on o_O damn summer was too short

1 - 8 of 8 Posts