Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Crosstrek

I am starting here because it seems like the logical place to start. In the last few months my car has gotten loud when i am driving at speed. It is not a engine sound, not a clicking or rattle, not exhust. Not a scraping sound. It is just loud. so loud that the wife was like what is that noise? I figure its the tires since that's what is on the road. They are in great shape, plenty of tread left. Air pressure is at the recommended psi. The sound is everywhere so its not focused on one specific wheel.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a alignment issue? The car runs pretty straight so she is not pulling to the side.

I wish i could explain it better but it really comes down to the interior is loud and kinda distracting.
Please ask questions or point me in a direction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wind. It's not a luxury car, minimal sound proofing in doors, floor pans and roof. I added some extra sound deadening to the floors and doors, helped a little.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue with 2014 Crosstrek. My noise isn’t that loud, just different. If it was a wheel bearing, would the hub be warm/hot to the touch after driving at speed?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My '13 has had some loud noises going on for years. Not sure if it's wheel bearing(s), CV, etc. I've put it off so long at this point that I'm just curious to see how long it goes before it breaks. I have a feeling it's not going to get me all the way to my Cybertruck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Without hearing it it's tuff to say but I would suspect wheel bearings, Mine was loud and slowly getting louder for a while I thought it was tire noise but it didn't go away with new tires so I went ahead a changed the rear wheel bearings and the noise was gone.

It was kind of weirf for a wheel bearing noise which you can usually make change by turning

·
Registered
89 Posts
I no longer own my Crosstrek. I had a 2013 and bought it in 2012, so I was one of the "charter" members here. However I still get the emails and this thread caught my attention. I sold the car in July 2019. Around May, out of the blue, on a highway, I heard that loud noise. So distinct, like the whirring of an airplane engine, and the noise is in direct proportion to the speed/engine RPM. A week before that, the dealership kept my car for a recall for 3 WEEKS! I was given a Forester loaner for the entire time. I was thinking, is their way of enticing me to buy a new car?

Anyway, so the noise bothered me. I took it back to the dealership. They said you need this and that. $300+ later, the noise was still there. My local mechanic put new bearings. The noise disappeared for about 2 days and it was back again. I bought new tires (I was already at 60k and running on original tires). Did not help. But what bothered me most was my fuel economy. Before the noise, I was always upwards of 30MPG average. After the noise, I was down to 28-27 mpg. So that's when I decided time for a new car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts