Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a test to see how well car washes remove salt from the underside of vehicles. And the results aren’t good. The sprayers on all of the car washes I tested were abysmal and only covered about 50% of the underside of that.

here’s a video I made with the go pro footage from underneath my car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did a test to see how well car washes remove salt from the underside of vehicles. And the results aren’t good. The sprayers on all of the car washes I tested were abysmal and only covered about 50% of the underside of that.

here’s a video I made with the go pro footage from underneath my car.

Thanks for the video, good work

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting.

My two thoughts are that chalk is not salt and I'm not sure why he is trying to equate the two and I was actually impressed with how much chalk the sprayers removed.

Just my opinion and thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting.

My two thoughts are that chalk is not salt and I'm not sure why he is trying to equate the two and I was actually impressed with how much chalk the sprayers removed.

Just my opinion and thanks for posting this.
this is me in the video haha. Chalk was the closest thing I could get to salt. It’s far more visible and somewhat similar. I also didn’t want to put abunch of rust inducing salt on my car.

If it doesn’t get it all off then the car wash is pretty much useless as the rust will still occur faster.

thanks for your opinion though

·
Registered
36 Posts
this is me in the video haha. Chalk was the closest thing I could get to salt. It’s far more visible and somewhat similar. I also didn’t want to put abunch of rust inducing salt on my car.

If it doesn’t get it all off then the car wash is pretty much useless as the rust will still occur faster.

thanks for your opinion though
Hey Kurt,
I obviously didn't catch that in your original post. I do appreciate the effort to shed light on salt vs car washes though and I didn't mean to poo poo your video.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What would suggest as a good substitute then that is also highly visible?

while I agree with you that chalk isn’t dissolvable it will be removed at a similar rate as salt.

another factor is temperature because salt becomes far less dissolvable when temperatures are lower like they are in the winter time and most car washes don’t use heated water.

i know it’s not a perfect test but it gives a pretty good idea of how well a car wash works to remove salt.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
I've used car washes that wash the undercarriage many times, and they often don't do all that great a job rinsing off crud built up.

It's just better (but more-laborious) to just pressure wash the undercarriage oneself. I haven't done that in years, and continue to use the touchless drive-thru car washes. Thankfully, I do not live in a region that sprays their roadways with salt, but I have to concede that I have driven into ocean water before at Oceano Dunes' beach near Pismo Beach.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts