Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to mod the rear cargo light. Many folks on the forum have said that it is insufficient. I added a LED and took it a step further by adding aluminum backing to act as a reflector. Its just empty space behind the light so I figured I add something reflective to increase brightness and focus the light outward.

First, install the LED bulb and check the polarity.

I am using 3M adhesive backed aluminum tape- you could probably get away with aluminum foil!

Cut a small peice of electrical tape to prevent the alunimum from shorting the circut- clear tape might be better here but the circut was not transparent so...

Add the tape to the back and sides:

Nice and bright!

Pop it back in place....looking good.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you like it. When I installed the LED bulb, I saw that one of the LED SMD lamps faced away from the lens....I just had to reflect that back into the cabin! Thats how I thought of this mod. copy away and let there be light! 8)

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's an LED bulb I know and the heat is low but with the light reflecting back onto the light and all, how is the heat? Again, I know it's in the cargo area but I'm guessing that it is not going to heat up to a dangerous level.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chuck, I have zero heat concerns from the LED I used. Cooler than stock. In more ways than one!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Which bulb and from where did you order your LED from? This mod would really help me out. Just tonight I had difficulty rummaging around in the trunk. Thanks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd love to help make rummaging around your trunk easier. LOL I got a LED kit from the led station. There are several threads about this kit for the impreza. See this thread from BeachAV8R http://clubcrosstrek.com/index.php/topic,1335.0.html and the company link is...

http://www.theledstation.com/impreza-wagon-08-up/vehicle-specific-led/08-up-subaru-impreza-5-door-led-interior-lights-license-plate-lights-%286-bulbs%29_LEDKIT-SMD-IMPREZA-08up-5D-6_97.php

PS. I did have a quality issue with them but they made it right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts