Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be overkill but I wanted to protect the protector. Sometimes I have to haul around a portable wheelchair and other things in the back of my Crosstrek. Wanting my interior to stay “new” as long as possible, I found a solution to prevent scuffing up my cargo tray. I love to do things on the cheap! I found a piece of indoor/ outdoor carpeting at Home Depot and the price was right! The carpet is made by “Eco Rug”, they say it’s made from recycled plastic bottles. It was 6’ X 8’ and after taxes it cost just a shade under $20. I had plenty of carpet left when I finished the project. It wasn’t all that hard to complete. I just measured the cargo tray and cut a piece of the carpet a bit bigger than needed. I put a straight edge of the carpet to the front of the tray and used a piece of chalk to trace around the edges of the rest. I used scissors to cut outside my chalk lines and bingo I had it. It was necessary to do some trimming though. I liked it so well I cut another piece upside down and used headliner glue to stick the two pieces together. The result was finished carpet on both sides, double thick. I believe it will act as a sound dampener too. I cut small pieces of carpet to put into the back corners of the tray too. I even put a small piece in the bottom of the center console and under radio…

I got fancy and cut some for the seat back protectors, stuck them on with Velcro tape. The whole thing is weather proof so it can be just washed off if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think 3m makes a film that will protect that carpet! Have you scotchgaurded it yet? ;)

jk, It looks good. The velcro is a good touch!

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the kind words everyone! There might be a bit of confusion concerning my carpeting project. What I did was simply put carpet over the "cargo tray" and "seat back protector" that came came installed in my new XV. I just added carpet to save the original equipment from getting scuffed up. The carpet I put in can just be lifted out to reveal cargo tray and seat back protector. Since the carpet is plastic indoor /outdoor I can just hose it off if it needs it. Also, the carpet might be very handy if I needed to toss it on the ground to change a tire or something. Anyway, it was a cheap mod and I love to get it done cheap!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
MadeInMaine said:
Anyone heard of / have canvasback cargo liner?
Never heard of it but just looked it up. Pretty cool, though I am happy with the cargo liner/seat back protector that came with my XV from Subaru. I do have a cheap "dog hammock" that I hang on the back seat for when I take my dog anywhere. It cost about $12 and is very durable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That looks really nice. Do you have this installed in your car? How would it work with aftermarket seat covers?

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is custom fit for the back, stays down with velcro.
I was just contacted by their customer service and apparently there are a few changes they need to make to fit the XV perfectly.

I just purchased the Kurgo Cargo liner, pretty happy with that, and much cheaper. I will keep you posted as I use it more.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My carpet over kill really paid off! When I installed the carpet over my rear cargo tray it ended up providing an added bonus. I have new grandson and that carpet became the perfect place to change his diapers! While we were on a road trip the other day, he needed to make a pit stop. The height is perfect and the carpet was so much better on his little bare butt than that hard old cargo tray. My daughter just loved it!

·
Registered
73 Posts
MadeInMaine said:
It is custom fit for the back, stays down with velcro.
I was just contacted by their customer service and apparently there are a few changes they need to make to fit the XV perfectly.

I just purchased the Kurgo Cargo liner, pretty happy with that, and much cheaper. I will keep you posted as I use it more.
That's a good idea. I love Kurgo. I own a pet store and sell a lot of their stuff. Very nice. I'll take a look. Thank you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
bradt said:
My carpet over kill really paid off! When I installed the carpet over my rear cargo tray it ended up providing an added bonus. I have new grandson and that carpet became the perfect place to change his diapers! While we were on a road trip the other day, he needed to make a pit stop. The height is perfect and the carpet was so much better on his little bare butt than that hard old cargo tray. My daughter just loved it!
Did the same thing for the trunk, perfect for changing diapers on the go. Mainly it's for the dogs, the extra carpet give them more grip when there standing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very nice, OEM-looking solution, but I'd suggest another cargo tray and set of rear seat back protectors to protect the protected protectors! ;D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
koneill,

That's a great idea! But, I just spent $1500 on cargo trays, seat back protectors and carpet to protect the protectors. Then I discovered that I didn't have any room left for cargo! What a nightmare! Guess the only option I have now is to buy a trailer to haul my cargo, of course I'll need to buy a mat and some carpet to protect the trailer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts