Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know not many people still use CB radios but is there anyone here that does? Im trying to decide on where to mount the radio, any suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Other option?

I know not many people still use CB radios but is there anyone here that does? Im trying to decide on where to mount the radio, any suggestions?
My dad was a wrecker driver/ truck driver and we always had CB's in cars. I've tried a few methods since 1985- put one in the ashtray slot in my 93 Ranger.
Best mount method w/o cutting up the dash or console- I have had a CB placed vertically (face up) between the passenger seat & center console, used 3M command strips to 'glue' it to the console so it didn't shift and rub/scratch the console. Run the antenna under the passenger seat carpet and use a 90deg. elbow.

IME- the thru the glass antennas didn't work, so I tried both a combo flexible FM/CB antenna, and an edge-clamp (trunk) fiberglass mast antenna. Fiberglass was best, but the flex worked decently as well.
I Always wound up w/ scratched paint from the magnet mounts.

Can't count how many times it has saved the wife and I from being stuck in a jam on I81 between PA & NC/VA!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Couple yeas ago I picked up a few of midlands ultra compact cb's
https://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822-Channel-CB-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR#

Great for hiding away but still at the ready.
Btw, they work great.... a good external ant and the power out of the little radio does fine, sound good (for a cb) .

Easy to hang on a clip or wedged beside your seat with a external mic (Kenwood mic I think)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
I keep this one in the Subaru.

I use a 4' Firestik w/tunable tip, mounted on a fold down mount on my roof rack. Very good ground, excellent range with this set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thinking about the same antenna mounting setup on my 2018. Can you advise what mount you purchased?? I have a ROLA rack on top and was not sure how good a ground it would have to the chassis, since it has to pass through the rack and also side rail powder coating, etc.. Thanks for any helpful advice!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just remember, the antenna you purchase is only one-half of the antenna. The car body is the other half. The metal body is considered the "ground plane." If you mount it on a rack, you need to make sure that the rack is also electrically grounded to the car body or else it won't work well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am interested in this as well. I have a Uniden Pro505xl and would like ideas on where to mount it. Also curious how you ran the wires and where. I know on my ranger it was a simple wire splice into my cig lighter. TIA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts