Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand this seems rather trivial, but does anybody know if the chassis designation (from the VIN) any different from the regular Impreza hatch?

I understand that the XV Crosstrek is based off of the Impreza hatch (lifted, and other things I will not go into detail in this thread), but I am quite curious if anybody knows if the XV Crosstrek has the same chassis designation as the Impreza hatch (which I presume is GJ).

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I wish I knew more, though I think you're correct in presuming the newest Imprezas at GJ. I will ask around with some people I know in the Suby world and see if they can get me some info. Unfortunately I am on the road right now so I don't have a dealer to ask.

·
Registered
17 Posts
my local suby dealer has one crosstrek on their site with a vin listed as JF2GPAGC5D2211724 so I guess the chasis designation is GP which looks to be the same as the Impreza hatchback....unless I am doing this wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sticksandstones said:
my local suby dealer has one crosstrek on their site with a vin listed as JF2GPAGC5D2211724 so I guess the chasis designation is GP which looks to be the same as the Impreza hatchback....unless I am doing this wrong.
I stand corrected, the two-letter chassis designation for the Impreza hatch is in fact GP, according to a post from NASIOC.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37704756&postcount=110

And turns out the third digit/letter of a three-letter/digit chassis code indicates chassis and engine combination, didn't know that. So "GPA" may mean "4th gen Impreza hatch chassis, 2.0 liter non-turbo engine", although that conflicts with the information on the thread indicating a "GGA" means "2nd gen Impreza wagon chassis, 2.0 liter turbo engine".

Honestly, only an expert at this thing could really sift through all this, it's a little confusing now with overlapping definitions. :-\

Thread is kinda old, but as you can tell, a small amount of members over there are trying to keep it updated.

And the best Subaru VIN FAQ I could find is actually from cars101.com
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/vin.html

·
Registered
112 Posts
GP it is... and it's not that tricky you can generally tell by body styles what the chassis designation is. I'm GP but all the parts I order are crosstrek. They share impreza 2.0i platform from 2012 and up but NOT WRX OR STI.

Crosstrek shares the same as 2015+ wrx/sti chassis, although there are some main differences depending on engine size etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts