Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

381 - 389 of 389 Posts

·
Super Moderator
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Yesterday leaving work, I picked up some lunch and decided to pop the tent to eat.

A few people have asked me if the rear hatch still opens, and it does! Since this is such a large tent, you just have to have it slid forward. Basically our heads will be at the back of the car and our feet will overhang the windshield so there is less weight on that end.

·
Super Moderator
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
Changing up the front end a bit. Decided to remove the original yellow Lamin-x film on the fog lights and LED light bar.

Fog lights are easy, can just pop off the plastic surounds off the bumper and boom, done. The light bar... I had to remove the front bumper to get at it. LUCKILY I did not need to remove the Primitive skid pan, or my custom bumper guard. First time removing the bumper with both of those on.

Some before/after shots

The new amber will tie in with another new part, that should be here today. Its new, but not really "new" as its replacing something ive already done.

·
Super Moderator
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
Started of the next revamp mod this morning. New ditch lights from Rigid.

Main difference, besides MUCH better build quality over my previous ones, are these have back-lighting. These are the radiance versions. They have four back-light options (yellow wasnt an option), so I got amber, thus the lamin-x film change from yellow to amber lol.

These are not TOTALLY plug-n-play with the old harness that I had made with weather-pack connectors. Since they have the back-light, they have a 3rd wire for power. So I snipped out the old ones (left the connectors as I can use them elsewhere at some point) and bought some new 3 wire connectors here: Amazon.com: ZoneLiStore 3 Pin Way Waterproof Electrical Wire Connector Plug Automotive Wire Connectors Plug with Wire AWG Marine Pack of 10: Car Electronics

Hardest part of all this was running another wire into the cab to my switch panel, I did that yesterday morning. I had to get a new rocker switch as the current ones are on/off. I purchased a new one (should be here tomorrow) that is on/off/on. Thus the new wire being ran in is another power for the back-lighting.
With all my connections, solder - heat shrink - heat shrink everything together.

Got both driver and passenger lights mounted and soldered to the new weather-pack connectors. That's where I left off for right now. The rest will be super easy, soldering the other end to the wires that are already ran in the car from the previous lights. MIGHT finish that side later today, but it's going to be hot the rest of the week (why i started earlier this morning lol), so if anything I should finish tomorrow morning before the switch arrives.

·
Super Moderator
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
Well the switch came a day early... so I ran out and finished up the soldering.

Hard to see a big difference since there is so much light bleeding into the garage, will have to get some night shots pretty soon.

New switch in.
Center = off
Top = ditch lights
bottom = back lighting

·
Super Moderator
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
More mods..

Got a raido for trips and didnt like any of the "off the shelf" options. I ended up buying this mount off amazon: Amazon.com: Rugged Radios MT-5R-HM Single Side Radio & Hand Mic Mount for Rugged V3, RH5R, RDH & Baofeng Handheld Radios but did not want to use the self tapping screws directly into some of the interior trim.

I wanted:
-something within easy reach while driving
-easy to install/remove
-no perm "damage" to the interior
-not expensive

So made my own haha. Made a bracket to mount the amazon one I bought. Tore apart the center console and ended up in the dash.

The bracket i came up with

Mounted behind the drivers hvac vent

wrapped it black to look decent

amazon mount connected

radio

Not TOTALLY happy with it, but it'll do for now in time for the next trip. Version two will be coming at some point im sure hah.

·
Super Moderator
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #387

·
Super Moderator
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
radio mount version 2.

Moved it over to the passenger vent. I liked the placement of ver 1 better since it was closer to the driver, but one thing I did not figure into the mount before i made ver 1.. it was almost blocking the key from going into the ignition haha. I could still get the key in and turn the car on, but it was not "normal". Had to bend my wrist a certain way and only hold the key with 2 fingers.

So ver 2 obviously takes care of that, and is only slightly further away. Can still open the glovebox just fine, and not in the way of the passenger at all.

·
Super Moderator
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
Sat was an off road day. Myself and 6 other cars (2 other Subarus) did the 20+ mile trek to just shy of Tahoe. The trail was MUCH worse condition than it was last year when I did it. Took just over 4 hours to cover the trail (including stops).

381 - 389 of 389 Posts