Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm having some troubles with my 2015 Subaru Crosstrek XV and I'm hoping to get some insight from anyone who might have had a similar problem...

About a month ago, I was driving my crosstrek onto the interstate when it lost all power to the gas and was attempting to come to a stop. I took my foot off of the gas and replaced it, and the car picked up power again and continued. Within 5 miles it happened two more times. Then the Traction Control (VDC?), the ABS, and the Hill Assist lights all came on. I took it into the Subaru dealership and they said that i had the incorrect battery in (should be a top post and i had a side post), so the battery was replaced. They also replaced the brake lamp switch (BLS) that was recalled.

A few days later, same problem. Take it to the dealership, they "adjust" the brake lamp switch, send me on my way.
Leaving the parking lot, same problem. They replace the brake lamp switch and say i should be good to go.

The car drove fine for about a month. A few days ago, the same issue happened again and the same lights lit up on my dash. I took it back to the dealership and they said they picked up codes for a miscommunication in the system, and the Vehicle Dynamic Control System (VDC) needs to be replaced....for $2,000.

My question is: has anyone had a similar problem as this? It sounds like a lot of people have had the same lights come up, replaced the BLS, and had no further issues. I realize that these cars are highly electrical and it could be a number of issues, but I'm hoping someone has some insight as to whether i should just let them replace the VDC and hope it was the issue, or if something else should be assessed beforehand. $2,000 just isn't something i'd like to waste if i could help it.

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You need to find out what error codes are showing up in the Crosstrek's system. Some people have a code reader, but generally car owners need to go to an auto mechanic or Subaru dealer to figure out the codes. Some charge $$ and some don't to figure out for you. Call ahead, or drop into your favorite mechanic.

A similar issue affected our 2013 Crosstrek and I started a thread which described the problem... ultimately resolved. The conversation is on another Crosstrek blog. Here's the link:

Hope helpful to you!
Let us know what happens.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts