Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will get the rear liner, and the rear seat back protectors, but want more. Does anyone know of a whole liner that covers the rear cargo area, and ramps up to cover the rear seats as well? Somewhat like a rubber (removable) bed liner in a truck?

I made a super basic MSpaint outline of what Im looking for. Cover up everything and have a lip to contain water/dirt.

It would be awesome for snow days, muddy toys, dogs, all of the above combined lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had something very similar to what you are describing in my 2010 Scion XB. It was weathertech that made that set. You may want to check with that manufacturer. I specifically remember purchasing just that item (rear liner) separate from the rest of the set. It did not come all the way up the back seats, but it had a pretty tall lip around all edges.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
I believe the Japanese Subaru website has something like that in the XV accessories... but it is the conventional cloth cover thing that you wish not to get.

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had something very similar to what you are describing in my 2010 Scion XB. It was weathertech that made that set. You may want to check with that manufacturer. I specifically remember purchasing just that item (rear liner) separate from the rest of the set. It did not come all the way up the back seats, but it had a pretty tall lip around all edges.
Ya I was thinking that weathertech would have something like that. I did a quick search but did not find anything.

I believe the Japanese Subaru website has something like that in the XV accessories... but it is the conventional cloth cover thing that you wish not to get.
Yea Ive seen a lot of cloth ones for dog blanket/protectors ect, but it would be nice to have them weather proof as well.

Kinda threw the idea around of a DIY, but would need to figure out material and play around with vacuum molding hehe.

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Leaving this here for reference..

2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek research webpage- Premium, Special Edition, Limited, Hybrid, Hybrid Touring

EDIT:
First material I thought of using would be kydex.. kinda pricey, and not sure how it would hold up with dogs/gear. I know it makes fantastic holsters for guns/knives.

http://www.professionalplastics.com/KYDEXTSHEET

https://www.interstateplastics.com/Kydex-T-Calcutta-Black-Sheet-KYDB0T1ST.php?sku=KYDB0T1ST&vid=20161209115044-4p&dim2=48&dim3=96&thickness=0.125&qty=1

.125 x 48.00 x 96.00 is about $225 and that would not be wide enough for the widest 53" at the rear opening.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm sure you could probably fabricate something that could attach with Velcro? You could lay the seat flat and cut it to fit. I'm certain an upholstery shop could do something for you very inexpensively. Good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure you could probably fabricate something that could attach with Velcro? You could lay the seat flat and cut it to fit. I'm certain an upholstery shop could do something for you very inexpensively. Good idea.

Yea I could get a fabric one made, or just buy the ones available online. Not sure if a fabric store would make a rubber/plastic one or not.

Kydex is extremely malleable when its heated up. Figure I could trim a large sheet out to the about size of the trunk, leaving room to form the dip between the front/rear seats, and an inch or two around the border. Heat it up and create a lip around the entire mat. So if water/mud get back there, its all contained and will not spill out.

Here's an example of kydex being used for a holster (bad music lol, but its the general idea. There are TONS of vids on YT if you're interested in more)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d9YZ9ljOkQ

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think "pu leather " has to be some sort of vinyl. No way you're getting that much leather for $100.00. I think it looks cool, and would be functional. Thanks for sharing. I say go for it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
According to Wikipedia:

Bicast leather (also known as bi-cast leather, bycast leather, or Ricky Leather or PU leather, sometimes described as split leather) is a material made with a split leather backing covered with a layer of polyurethane (hence the term "PU leather") that is applied to the surface and then embossed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's not leather. A mat this size made from PU-coated split leather would be way more expensive than $100. Trust me, I design belts for a living, and work with these materials all the time.
That mat is still a good price even being PU though. The styling is the only downside. Kind of strange...

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's not leather. A mat this size made from PU-coated split leather would be way more expensive than $100. Trust me, I design belts for a living, and work with these materials all the time.
That mat is still a good price even being PU though. The styling is the only downside. Kind of strange...
Deff makes sense.

From you're experience, how would that material hold up with water/dirt/mud?

Ive got two large dogs (Pit-bull and Greatdane) that would be riding around back there after running around a sandy/muddy/watery dog park. Also head to the snow a lot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Deff makes sense.

From you're experience, how would that material hold up with water/dirt/mud?

Ive got two large dogs (Pit-bull and Greatdane) that would be riding around back there after running around a sandy/muddy/watery dog park. Also head to the snow a lot.

It should hold up fine to water dirt and mud. I'd get some seam sealer if there are any stitched areas near the bottom to prevent leaks. The dogs' nails will probably scratch it up really good over time, but that comes with having dogs I guess.

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It should hold up fine to water dirt and mud. I'd get some seam sealer if there are any stitched areas near the bottom to prevent leaks. The dogs' nails will probably scratch it up really good over time, but that comes with having dogs I guess.
Yup, dog life haha. Kinda the reason I was looking for rubber/plastic.

I guess if there is nothing else on the market buy the time I'm ready to buy, this might be a pretty decent option. At the price point, I wouldnt be out very much if the quality ended up being crap too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's either that or a bunch of moving blankets. I've got friends with big dogs . It's gonna smell. Unless you are already nose blind ( lol).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts