Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent trip up to Prescott Az, my XV was making a strange high pitched noise at 80 to 95 mph Sort of like a squeeling belt. I turned off the AC and the noise was still there and seemed to come from the engine bay. I got the car up to 95 and the noise was louder. I'm thinking it was wind noise, but cannot be sure. Any one get this noi at high speeds?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Do you have a moon roof? Any wind deflectors installed? Roof rack bars? Anything other than stock? That can help rule out wind noise.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Xtrekr said:
Do you have a moon roof? Any wind deflectors installed? Roof rack bars? Anything other than stock? That can help rule out wind noise.
I have none of the mods mentioned. I did have two bikes on a rear hitch bike carrier. I will have to experiment tomorrow when the bikes and rack are off the car. But the noise seemed like it was from the front.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I have cruised at those speeds before for a decent amount of time and didn't experience any noise I thought was out of the ordinary. Please try it without the bikes on the hitch and let us know if you still hear it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I hit the freeway, got up to 90 mph and tried to reproduce the noise without the bike rack. No noise. Must have been the rack

·
Registered
42 Posts
Was gonna say, it's wind thru the roof rack, happened to me today going 75 on a windy day, happens for a second or 2 then goes away with the wind gust. To me it sounded like a kazoo.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andrazy86 said:
Was gonna say, it's wind thru the roof rack, happened to me today going 75 on a windy day, happens for a second or 2 then goes away with the wind gust. To me it sounded like a kazoo.
Roof racks are noisy, but I have a rear mounted bike rack, on the hitch. There is nothing on the top of the car except the factory roof rails.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry. I live in NJ. 80 mph you're teetering on the edge of a ticket. 85, you're really asking for it. 90 will guarantee you a ticket. It's a small state, nice spacious roads, but we have a lot of cops.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RubySu said:
Maybe sirens?! Lol :)
Haha sirens. In Az, I 17 is 75 mph. 85 is the flow of traffic. At 90, I'm still being passed by some fool on a Ninja.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AlexAlejan said:
RubySu said:
Maybe sirens?! Lol :)
Haha. I like the idea that sirens would be described only as a "concerning" noise.
Sirens are more of an annoying noise

1 - 12 of 12 Posts