Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 has been making a cricket like sound from the engine. Dealership claims it's the pistons and fuel injection. The noise comes and goes. Anyone else ever have this problem? Subaru is telling me it's a normal noise but I've never heard this on any other Crosstrek. I can email recordings of it. Unable to attach them here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
engine rattle

I walked by an idling Crosstrek and noted the same subtle rattle can sound that mine makes sometimes. I would not call it a cricket sound though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would describe more of like a rattling can. Again, dealership claims it's normal and corporate won't provide an answer other than that they rely on the dealerships to assess the issue. I knew Subaru's had louder engines, but this is embarrassingly loud. Gonna try Mobile 1 oil and different gas station in hopes something works. Been using strictly BP. Will post results

·
Registered
165 Posts
My 2019 also makes that cricket noise. It's basically a high pitched tick. I hear it when I'm in the cabin when car is in idle. I have walked outside when it's happening, but I can't hear the same higher pitch. (Of course you can hear the Model T ticking sound that the dealerships claim is normal.)
I've had mine over a year now. It's done it since day one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The noise usually doesn't occur until I've driven the car and come to a stop at an intersection. It also doesn't always occur. I can email whomever is interested a recording of it if you post your email.

·
Registered
165 Posts
YES!!! This is the noise I hear! EXACTLY.
It doesn't happen all of time. 80% of the time I would say.
The first full day of ownership my 2019 did it.
Do you know what it is?!?
Thanks, Keith

·
Registered
9 Posts
So this is an ongoing issue for my 2018 CT. The noise that I recorded only occurs when the car is cold in the fall/winter months. After running for 10 mins or so... the sound starts up and is present for 15 mins or so until the engine warms up completely. The noise is loud enough to be noticiable when listing to NPR on the radio as I do when driving at low speeds or at stops. The standard engine noise drowns it out when going 20+ mph though. My recording is at a red light. You can hear the sound increase in pitch when I give it a bit of gas.

This sound is different from the AC blower fan issue (which I had replaced last year). It sounds when the fan is off.

I took mine to the dealer last winter and they were able to get it to occur and make note on my record so that I don’t warrenty out of the issue. It was getting into spring and the nights weren’t getting cold enough so we didn’t do anything else. So right now… I have my car at the dealer today to get the three recalls fixed.. And then for the sound. They haven’t been able to get it to happen yesterday or this morning.. so I am going to meet them at the shop tomorrow and drive around with them (hope it happens).

When checking over the engine when it’s happening… it appears to coming from below the AC pump area.

I’ll circle back once we find out more.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for looking so in depth into this. I have become so accustomed to loud noise coming from this car's engine that it's more of a curiosity than an annoyance. For me anyway. Still very curious though. LOL
Cheers,
Keith

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealership says it's the pistons and how they move with the fuel injection system. Nothing they can do the dampen the noise. All my research has shown it's something that doesn't go away and is just a Subaru quirk. It's driving me insane

·
Registered
35 Posts
People also ask
Can I use belt dressing on a serpentine belt?
Today, you should never put belt dressing on an EPDM-made serpentine belt. Belt dressing, and other oils and solvents, may quieten the belt noise when first applied, but these oils will actually cause the belt's rib surface to become more aggressive once they dry out, leading to even more beltnoise issues.May 27, 2014

·
Registered
9 Posts
So they couldn't get the sound to start up, so yesterday morning I met them and we drove the car around for a bit together… no sound. So he extended the warranty with the issue for another year… which is nice. He also said to just swing in any morning on my way to work if the sound starts up. Fun part… I then hopped back in the car to go to work… 5 mins later… sound started.. But I had to get to work so I didn’t turn around. Ill try and do the pop in and follow back up here.

243… that belt sound definitely doesn’t sound like this issue. When it’s happening… you hear it in the cabin (like my recording posted earlier).. And then when you have the hood open… it’s kinda hard to pin point the noise amoung the standard running engine sounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I get a cricket sound under the passenger side of my 2018. It’s only when the heater/air is on. But it only happened in cold weather. After moving to WA state it stopped. But I noticed the plastic cover underneath the passenger dash is loose. Is this where the sound comes from? I read online that because of the boxer engine shape Subaru’s make a ton of racket. Sometimes it’s embarrassing because when you start it cold ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your is only making sound when the AC/Heat is on... that's another known issue with the blower fan and can be replaced on warranty. The sound I get happens when the blower fan (which i got replaced last year) isn't running.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I bought a mechanics stethoscope and can 100% pin point the noise to what ever is under the black shield plate circled in blue in the attached photo. The is a access hole on the right side of the shield that you can reach through to test. So what's under this shield?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So the noise was resolved. Either by using Mobile 1 oil or by filling the engine with 5 quarts.

I found out the dealerships only put in 4.7 quarts. Probably to save themselves money. I did my own oil change, added 5 quarts which does not overfill the engine, and have not heard the noise since. Not sure if it was resolved by actually putting in enough oil or by using possibly better oil, but either way the rattle/cricket noise is gone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What was the motor oils weight, viscosity you used?

My 2019 has factory oil in it & less then 2000 miles on the odometer.
On start up, the engine sounds different after it runs for about 25 seconds. It gets quieter as the oil reaches all the engine parts.
Zero viscosity @ startup, can't be a good thing, is my thinking?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts