Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in what everyone is using for a cell holder for the Crosstrek.
I'm looking for something that holds a +5" phone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both of these look cool. The magnetic plate will probably interfere with phones that have wireless charging though.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
I don't use a cell phone holder (rather, an automotive GPS navigation unit), but I would recommend taking a look at Ram Mounts, as I've generally been happy with my Ram Mount that mounts to the seat mount holes. No drilling needed.

(not exact part I used but you'll get the idea)
RAM POD I WITH 1" SINGLE SOCKET ARM Unpackaged - RAM-B-316-1U | RAM Mounts

I bent mine so that it fulfilled the following criteria:
* did not lie directly in the path of any of the airbags (including but not limited to, side seat air bags, side curtain air bags, passenger front airbag)
* did not obstruct ability to view outside vehicle
* did not obstruct ability to view existing instrumentation
* easy to view and reach

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with the Slyde CD mount. I replaced the thumbscrew with an allen screw so it doesn't block the touchscreen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Will the Slyde CD mount work with my Samsung Note 3. It's kind of heavy and most others I have tried have slouched under the weight after a while. These were all window mounts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will the Slyde CD mount work with my Samsung Note 3. It's kind of heavy and most others I have tried have slouched under the weight after a while. These were all window mounts.
Yea it should work with a Note 3. The ball adjustment is very firm and the magnet sticks good too. IMO it's the best solution since it's easy on and off and it doesn't block the vents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
See my post a below. The Infiniti magnetic phone holder that goes in the CD slot... It's terrific. It comes with a couple of metal parts the go between your phone and case. Works great! Most importantly it does not put stress and break your a/c vents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea it should work with a Note 3. The ball adjustment is very firm and the magnet sticks good too. IMO it's the best solution since it's easy on and off and it doesn't block the vents.
Blocking the vents is not necessarily a bad idea... in fact it's a feature I look for... Big phones (even little phones really) can get very hot if you are using them for navigation for a long duration. This is especially true in the summer when you have the sun beating down on your dashboard. Having them right over a vent allows you to keep them cool via the A/C. It works surprisingly well. I'd never buy another phone mount that doesnt go over the vent.

I'll second puffdc's recommendation for proclip. Here are some links to my setup over on the other crosstrek forum...
(first link is a short writeup on it, second link is the pics)
Highly recommended phone mount... - Page 2
What did you do to your Subaru today??? - Page 123

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had that Kenu before. It was pretty terrible. Always fell off. I never liked holders that clamp the sides of the phone either. It's just not a very good solution compared to others like the Slyde CD Mount.

·
Registered
29 Posts
resurrected from the dead. apparently i have been gone a bit too long.

I had a note 4 and now a note 9 and custom printed a holder for both
here is the note 9 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3082750

and the note 4 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1875438
others have remixed it for an iphone8 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3092118

these push in between the dash and the radio and work perfectly, for about 2 years now. they do need high temp plastic. I use ABS but PET-G or HT-PLA should also be fine. The first one i printed was plain PLA and melted into a funny shape while in TN visiting relatives.

in case you do not have a 3d printer plenty of libraries have them and some cities have maker spaces where you can rent them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts