Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By now you know how smart you are for having chosen the Crosstrek ;). Here is some addl' info I found in April's edition: Best and Worst Cars for 2013

Crosstrek was picked MOST inexpensive small SUV to own over 5 yr. period at 35K. To get to that number they factor in depreciation, fuel cost, loan interest, insurance premiums, sales tax, maintenance and repairs. By contrast, the Volkwagon Tiguan sel is most expensive coming in at 48.5K

Tied for best in fuel economy in its segment with Mini Cooper Countryman S @ 26 mpg

Subaru Impreza is listed as one of the best cars under 25K to own. We all know our car is based on Impreza.

Subaru overall,as a manufacturer, is rated second behind Lexus tying their average road test score at 80. Reliability is considered the same at "above average" . The only difference is in "recommended vehicles" in entire line where Lexus comes in @100% versus Subaru @ 90% which brings Subaru's overall score to 76 vs 79 for Lexus. For comparison, I'll list other Manufacturers overall score: Mazda-76 (89% recommended vehicles). Toyota-74 Acura-74 Honda-72 Scion-72 Audi-70 Infiniti-70 Mercedes-69 Kia-65 BMW-64 Nissan-64 Cadillac-63 Hyundai-63 VW-62 Gmc-58 Chevy-58 Volvo-58 Mini-56 Buick-54 Chrysler-52 Ford-51 Lincoln-50 Jeep-47 Dodge -46

For those of you who don't know, Consumer Reports purchases their own vehicles for testing and are truly unbiased when it comes to their rating system and reliability expectations.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Best news I've read all morning. I hear nothing but praises bout my new xv

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just read their review in the February issue I see you mentioned April wondering if they changed it... They recommended it in what I read but some of their comments weren't so good. I remember they called the cvt unrefined and the ride stiff and noisy. Both of which I do not agree with. The good side was reliability and fuel economy, also safety.

I love everything about my xv so far even though I'm still adjusting to the cvt driving style and a slight change in power, which I find ample. Amazing there are so many questionable reviews...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kyakdvl said:
I just read their review in the February issue I see you mentioned April wondering if they changed it... They recommended it in what I read but some of their comments weren't so good. I remember they called the cvt unrefined and the ride stiff and noisy. Both of which I do not agree with. The good side was reliability and fuel economy, also safety.

I love everything about my xv so far even though I'm still adjusting to the cvt driving style and a slight change in power, which I find ample. Amazing there are so many questionable reviews...
They didn't do a full review as they do in their monthly. These are the positive things I pulled out of 3 different areas in the April issue. The only negatives-and as you know they find them on just about everything- were "the cabin is rather noisy, the ride is stiff, and the little 148hp engine has to work hard to maintain highway speed"
You are spot on with the pendulum of reviews. Especially when it comes to transmission choice. Some applaud the cvt and write how it delivers the power exceptionally well while others demean and say thank goodness for a 3 pedal option. I think it comes down to individual reviewers taste just like buyers. Consumer Reports gigs a ton of autos for engine noise and stiff ride. I don't necessarily count these as demerits in general terms.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The cabin can be a bit noisy, and the ride sometimes stiff, IMO (though not noticeable after four months of ownership), but I really disagree with them saying the engine has to work hard to maintain highway speeds. My CVT sits at just over 2,000rpm at 75mph. I wouldn't call that a struggle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
243 Posts
Having spent hours at a stretch in the 80-100mph range as I flew across empty West Texas I find the notion that it struggles to maintain highway speeds laughable.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ClubCrosstrek said:
The cabin can be a bit noisy, and the ride sometimes stiff, IMO (though not noticeable after four months of ownership), but I really disagree with them saying the engine has to work hard to maintain highway speeds. My CVT sits at just over 2,000rpm at 75mph. I wouldn't call that a struggle.

Wow, that rev range/speed is much better than my manual which does rise above 3 grand easily to stay in the mid to high 70s....closer to 3500 rpms actually. But it doesn't feel like that is a "problem" to me either. Just reporting their statement.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CrossTrekFan said:
Having spent hours at a stretch in the 80-100mph range as I flew across empty West Texas I find the notion that it struggles to maintain highway speeds laughable.
Man, I love triple digits 8). Roll on! Under the right conditions,( smooth road, low wind, no traffic)everything just sort of feels better!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
RubySu said:
ClubCrosstrek said:

Wow, that rev range/speed is much better than my manual which does rise above 3 grand easily to stay in the mid to high 70s....closer to 3500 rpms actually. But it doesn't feel like that is a "problem" to me either. Just reporting their statement.
I even checked again on my way to/from work after posting that cause it seemed low and I thought maybe I was remembering wrong, but nope, at 75mph it sits at about 2,250 and 80mph it's right around 2,500rpm.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Makes complete sense especially in light of the mileage ratings at HWY. That's where the cvt really shines in effenciency.

·
Registered
800 Posts
RubySu said:
Makes complete sense especially in light of the mileage ratings at HWY. That's where the cvt really shines in effenciency.
Im wishing I had a road trip coming up to test out some serious highway miles. I usually end up driving MD to OH around thanksgiving, but thats waaaay too far off.

·
Registered
118 Posts
AlexAlejan said:
RubySu said:
Im wishing I had a road trip coming up to test out some serious highway miles. I usually end up driving MD to OH around thanksgiving, but thats waaaay too far off.
I drove about 400 miles last weekend with the CVT, i found it to have ample power and comfort. Sat around 75MPH, RPM's were low and quiet. Love that the CVT doesn't have to work hard or shift to go up inclines even at that speed!

Got about 30MPG; not bad considering they probably rate 33 at 65MPH or less.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
RubySu said:
ClubCrosstrek said:

It's a universal Subaru trait for the manual to hover over 3000 RPM during freeway speeds. Honestly I don't think it's an issue, these boxer engines actually seem to enjoy that rev range :)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AWDfreak said:
RubySu said:
ClubCrosstrek said:

It's a universal Subaru trait for the manual to hover over 3000 RPM during freeway speeds. Honestly I don't think it's an issue, these boxer engines actually seem to enjoy that rev range :)
Yea, I sure don't mind the sound of it either! In fact, I'm a big fan of RPM and this motor has a nice purrrrr IMO! I have about a 700 mile trip in the next 3 days- a lot of it mountainous! Yahoo!! Will probably hit the 10K mark.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looking at the car, I was really impressed with the location of all the fluids and oil filter etc. I think Subaru really tried to make a car that would be easy for people to maintain and drive.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Twist2Stop said:
Looking at the car, I was really impressed with the location of all the fluids and oil filter etc. I think Subaru really tried to make a car that would be easy for people to maintain and drive.
No doubt. The oil filter especially. Even down the line when it's time to throw in new spark plugs...look at that access! If you've ever replaced them on a 05, or there abouts, F150(sons' truck). Man, now THAT was a headache!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts