Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to head up to Huntingdon, PA this weekend for my sister-in-law's graduation from college. Wasn't too far, about 130 miles away, but I got the opportunity to take the crosstrek through the mountain roads of Pennsylvania for about 50 of those miles.

There was a lot of steep grades and switchbacks, but I never felt like the crosstrek was struggling to get up the mountains. The RPMs usually stayed around 3k going up, and topped out around 3.5k whenever I needed to apply more gas while ascending. On the return trip myself and about 10 other cars go caught behind a tractor trailer making its way down the mountains. The speed limit for us was 45, but for trucks it was 20. On a single lane road, traffic backed up fast. I didn't worry about the slow speed or riding my brake because I just switched to the paddle shifters and dropped down a gear. I barely touched the brake, and had a whole lot less frustration while waiting for the road to open up for passing. I averaged 30.2 mpg for the whole trip.

Nothing too exciting, but I figured I'd share my experiences!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Yeah I have been using my paddle to downshift especially coming into a turn. It really helps the gerbils run faster coming out of the turns :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
That is great...I did sort of the same. Went to help my daughter move from her Dorm Room in Grand Junction, CO. So I drove from Denver to Grand Junction. I filled out the car and drove 526 miles roundtrip in 1 tank. I manually avergaged my MPG and came to 34.6 mpg. No traffic and a couple of good hills (Eishenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass). The car rocked it. It it RPM'd high going over Vail pass but it never dropped the speed (I drove between 72-78 mph). It was a great drive. Love my car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
Glad to know it did well. My old Outback Sport really struggled with mountain roads, such as heading up to Big Bear, CA where I believe the incline is around 5,000 feet.

Since Big Bear is a multiple-times-a-year-trip, I knew that I wanted my next vehicle to handle the roads a little better so I am happy to know the Crosstrek can do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
I know those roads well. That's fantastic mpg's considering the size and number of big climbs you did! For those who don't know, he went from ~5,000 feet to just shy of 12k and then rolled along between 9-11,5k for a while before dropping back down to about 5k on the westbound run and obviously the opposite on the way home.

josemendez said:
That is great...I did sort of the same. Went to help my daughter move from her Dorm Room in Grand Junction, CO. So I drove from Denver to Grand Junction. I filled out the car and drove 526 miles roundtrip in 1 tank. I manually avergaged my MPG and came to 34.6 mpg. No traffic and a couple of good hills (Eishenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass). The car rocked it. It it RPM'd high going over Vail pass but it never dropped the speed (I drove between 72-78 mph). It was a great drive. Love my car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Someone mentioned earlier about the XV's extraordinary ability to coast. I've definitely noticed this on my MT. I think this really comes into play on the mountains - taking advantage of this on the downhills. That's some great mileage!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
silverrey said:
Someone mentioned earlier about the XV's extraordinary ability to coast. I've definitely noticed this on my MT. I think this really comes into play on the mountains - taking advantage of this on the downhills. That's some great mileage!!
I know I mentioned it before, though I'm probably not the only one. I was definitely taking full advantage of the coasting down the mountain hills. With careful driving I was going down entire switchbacks without ever touching the accelerator. Even on the highway during the daily commute I am impressed with the coasting ability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
Glad to know it did well. My old Outback Sport really struggled with mountain roads, such as heading up to Big Bear, CA where I believe the incline is around 5,000 feet.

Since Big Bear is a multiple-times-a-year-trip, I knew that I wanted my next vehicle to handle the roads a little better so I am happy to know the Crosstrek can do it.
I'm originally from the other side of PA, but we have a bunch of damn near dangerously sloped roads. Even a few are closed off to all but foot traffic due to the incline (particularily in Freedom). I am a huge fan of Big Bear, CA. I was stationed at Ft. Irwin from 09-11' and used to take my bike up there at least once a month. Great view, nice roads......and nothing at all like the rest of SOCAL (which I liked).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
RRR1977 said:
I am a huge fan of Big Bear, CA. I was stationed at Ft. Irwin from 09-11' and used to take my bike up there at least once a month. Great view, nice roads......and nothing at all like the rest of SOCAL (which I liked).
Yeah, I love SoCal for that very reason: beach, desert, cities, small towns, mountains, etc. Everything within a couple of hours.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top