Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 Crosstrek has been perfect so far with but one glaring exception. At highway speeds in windy conditions it feels very light and attention, along with seemingly constant correction, needs to be applied to keep it tracking properly. My alignment and tires/tire pressure (stock Yoko) are fine. It just seems slightly unstable in gusty, strong winds, particularly at 65-70mph. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrec Premium
93 Posts
Well, it's a higher profile vehicle. Are your tires really properly inflated? Have you checked them? Too many things to go over and diagnose on the internet. The stock tires could even be breaking down or wearing long. Are you just sensitive to gusty winds? Who knows.
I find it stable for the type car it is, even rivaling the Camry I got out of.
Happy diagnosing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it's a higher profile vehicle. Are your tires really properly inflated? Have you checked them? Too many things to go over and diagnose on the internet. The stock tires could even be breaking down or wearing long. Are you just sensitive to gusty winds? Who knows.
I find it stable for the type car it is, even rivaling the Camry I got out of.
Happy diagnosing.
Yes, the Crosstrek is higher, light, and seemingly subject to easily drifting in stiff cross winds. As mentioned, the alignment perfect, tires at correct psi and ample tread left on stock Yokos. It just is what it is. Has been that way since purchase and still is not at 18K. I'm 69 and I've had all kinds of vehicles. The worst in strong winds, by far, was a 1990 Isuzu Trooper. That thing was like driving a huge sail in the winds. Heck, it was tippy anywhere. My Crosstrek though, not a big issue, but mine definitely gets pushed around in the wind and I was curious if others had similar experiences. Thanks for your reply. Keep on Trek-in.'

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrec Premium
93 Posts
Yes, the Crosstrek is higher, light, and seemingly subject to easily drifting in stiff cross winds. As mentioned, the alignment perfect, tires at correct psi and ample tread left on stock Yokos. It just is what it is. Has been that way since purchase and still is not at 18K. I'm 69 and I've had all kinds of vehicles. The worst in strong winds, by far, was a 1990 Isuzu Trooper. That thing was like driving a huge sail in the winds. Heck, it was tippy anywhere. My Crosstrek though, not a big issue, but mine definitely gets pushed around in the wind and I was curious if others had similar experiences. Thanks for your reply. Keep on Trek-in.'
I hope I didn't come across as trying to bust your chops. Way too many things can be happening and tires are just step #1. I find the thing stable in wind at speed, as noted, and just throwing out things to look in to.
The door jam sticker pressure is often a bit soft, try 34-35 PSI in them, all the way around. 35PSI nets me the 10% increase at operating temp that denotes proper inflation. Lots of opinions on this, but the chief engineer for Michelin at the time noted it, and my dad pounded that formula into my head all my life. Right or wrong, it seems to work. If you run nitrogen, scratch all that because it won't react the same to heat.
My wife and I have both worn out factory shoes on cars in as little as 20K miles. Yokohama and Hankook. Hankook wore quickly on the second set for her. Shouldn't be shopping for the third set of tires with 55K on the car. It happens though.
You might get your tires checked. Wear, broken or misaligned belts can cause havoc. Problems are hard to find and near impossible without taking them off and having a way to spin them. Tire shops have that. Dealerships and even tire shops often have the lowest common denominator working the tire rack, but you often get a better chance at a reputable tire shop.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Keep all the windows open. Less wind resistance. :D sorry.

Air deflector for hood? Bug guard type?

Air dam under front bumper? Less air getting under car may help? But will loose ground clearance. Front Bumper Spoiler Lip type?

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2020 Crosstrek has been perfect so far with but one glaring exception. At highway speeds in windy conditions it feels very light and attention, along with seemingly constant correction, needs to be applied to keep it tracking properly. My alignment and tires/tire pressure (stock Yoko) are fine. It just seems slightly unstable in gusty, strong winds, particularly at 65-70mph. Has anyone else experienced this?
Get a bigger sway bar. I had the exact feeling when I bought my '15. Going from an 18mm to a 21mm(maybe 20?) made all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i've been driving my crosstrek for almost 6 years, and it's not noticeably worse than my previous cars. it will bunny-hop in strong gusting crosswinds, but most cars do that. my worst experience at highway speeds was in my '86 accord hatchback, when it was brand new. not crosswinds, but wet road. the twits at the dealership had left the tires at the factory shipping pressures, and it started hydroplaning at 80 kph (50 mph). it scared me silly, but i figured out what was going on, and fixed it. great car otherwise.

i find the crosstrek to be taller and lighter than my '02 legacy wagon, but i haven't noticed anything unusual about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts