Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, time to brag a little. On Friday, April 19th, my 16 year old niece with a 32 day old driver's license and I decided we would tackle the two rallies that are part of the Green Grandprix at Watkins Glen, NY. The overall premise of the events is to promote fuel efficient and alternative fuel vehicles. I decided that my Crosstrek was fuel efficient enough to enter. The first event was a three hour tour of the short course at Watkins Glen International Raceway. The concept was to complete as many laps +/- 1.5 seconds of the time for a lap at 45 MPH.. This was my niece's first attempt at driving on a race track and also her first attempt at driving while maintaining a specific speed for a long period of time. We did well finishing in the top 5. Next was a time-speed-distance event over the public roads around the village of Watkins Glen. This one we did a bit better on as we finished first out of 38 cars. I must admit that my 40+ years of rally experience may have had a bit to do with the win, but she did well and listened to me as I kept her on time and on course. The combination gave us first overall for the two events.

If you want to get a lot of track time at Watkins Glen and not have to pay a huge amount to do it, the Green Grand Prix rallies is the way to do it. We did 48 laps, albeit at 45 MPH but had a great time.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Wow! what a memorable event.. for many reasons! Congratulations!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats, but is it a very "fuel efficient" thing to do? I mean...driving all those laps is just plain wasteful...isn't it?

·
Registered
800 Posts
SakesMense said:
Congrats, but is it a very "fuel efficient" thing to do? I mean...driving all those laps is just plain wasteful...isn't it?
That made me laugh ;D

Its pretty cool that the crosstrek took first though, great job!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Very cool and congrats on the win!!! I too am interested in the competition... what else entered?

·
Registered
927 Posts
On thing to add.. I believe she took to your instruction very well due to te fact she hasn't had enough wheel time to get into the bad habits yet. Agreed?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts