Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for a thread on towing and didn't find one. If there is one and this needs to be moved let me know.

I have a 2016 Crosstrek and had an e-trailer hitch installed. Future plan is to get a lightweight camper trailer. I know it's rated to tow 1,500lbs but, I want to know what others have towed with their Crosstrek. How does the Crosstrek perform when towing something between 1,000-1,500 lbs? I am 100% inexperienced with towing.

I hope to get feedback on this one. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I purchased a small tractor about 2 months ago and had to tow it about 50 miles. Combined weight of tractor and trailer was about 2000 lbs. I stayed on the service roads, but at 55 mph it wasn't bad. Stopping distance was greatly increased and I was easy on the acceleration.

During hunting season I routinely tow my ATV and gear and that's about 1200 lbs. At 70 mph I average about 18mpg with that load. A good headwind or overpass will shut you down though at those speeds. At 55 mph it's not an issue.

I imagine with the camper it'll be how much of a "sail" it ends up being. In my experience if whatever you are towing rides higher than the roof of the Crosstrek, then performance takes a big hit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a small tractor about 2 months ago and had to tow it about 50 miles. Combined weight of tractor and trailer was about 2000 lbs. I stayed on the service roads, but at 55 mph it wasn't bad. Stopping distance was greatly increased and I was easy on the acceleration.

During hunting season I routinely tow my ATV and gear and that's about 1200 lbs. At 70 mph I average about 18mpg with that load. A good headwind or overpass will shut you down though at those speeds. At 55 mph it's not an issue.

I imagine with the camper it'll be how much of a "sail" it ends up being. In my experience if whatever you are towing rides higher than the roof of the Crosstrek, then performance takes a big hit.
I had to install Sumo Springs due to rear sag. And I have an aluminum trailer.
Bill

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had to install Sumo Springs due to rear sag. And I have an aluminum trailer.
Bill
I try to keep tongue weight around 100 lbs. I load everything and then make sure I can still lift up the front of the trailer by hand, shifting the load further back if necessary. This probably will be impossible with a camper though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just keep in mind that you have enough tongue weight to keep the trailer from swaying back and forth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's a post from before with some good info:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I pull my 4×6 race trailer with my 2018 CVT. I'd guess all in it's somewhere around 1200-1500 lbs? But the height and width of the rear is what really creates the drag, not weight. For me and the CVT, 67 mph is the magic number to keep the RPMs low. If i stay at 67 or less without a headwind, I can get about 18-19 mpg. Before this trailer I had a simple 5×8 flatbed with the bike loaded on it. That hardly affected my milage at all.
20190601_091041.jpg
20190601_112423.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
I tow a 3500 lb boat with my Crosstrek. Mostly flat route, and only about 75 miles between home and our lake cabin. I do this twice a year as I moor it at the cabin for the summer. Most of the route is freeway, and no problem cruising at 65 mph. Of course I am careful with braking or sudden swerves, as I would be with any tow vehicle. But it tows it surprisingly well. Having said that I would never take it on a long trip in hot weather and high mountainous terrain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tow a 3500 lb boat with my Crosstrek. Mostly flat route, and only about 75 miles between home and our lake cabin. I do this twice a year as I moor it at the cabin for the summer. Most of the route is freeway, and no problem cruising at 65 mph. Of course I am careful with braking or sudden swerves, as I would be with any tow vehicle. But it tows it surprisingly well. Having said that I would never take it on a long trip in hot weather and high mountainous terrain.
How was it launching the boat? I recently bought I new Legend F17, and it weighs about 2550lbs. I'll tow it with my Outback, but may need to launch it time to time with my Crosstrek. Wondering how it'll go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How was it launching the boat? I recently bought I new Legend F17, and it weighs about 2550lbs. I'll tow it with my Outback, but may need to launch it time to time with my Crosstrek. Wondering how it'll go.
No problem at all, in or out. AWD really helps when on a non concrete ramp like gravel/rock. Used to do it with a FWD Chrysler van, and needed to have a couple people stand on the front bumper when pulling it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts