Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to Subaru here, with a nice XV to drive now!

Has anyone seen or put a OEM black roof spoiler on a khaki or other color
XV? Any idea if the OEM Crystal Black Silica would look ok as a black spoiler
on a Khaki XV? I’d rather buy it that color than try to plastic oat it if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
811 Posts
Black door trim would tie it all together.

Welcome to the forum!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
DrDave said:
Newbie to Subaru here, with a nice XV to drive now!

Has anyone seen or put a OEM black roof spoiler on a khaki or other color
XV? Any idea if the OEM Crystal Black Silica would look ok as a black spoiler
on a Khaki XV? I’d rather buy it that color than try to plastic oat it if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I was trying to find a picture of a khaki XV, with spoiler, to Photoshop for you and stumbled across this. STi performance! There are some other body elements I'm diggin' too. That rear bottom lip is cool.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Just an opinion here and we all know the cliches about opinions but this tacky, stick-on stuff is lame. Its not just Subaru, its every car maker. I've even seen glued-on spoilers on a Mercedes Benz.

Give me something that serves an actual purpose. Something that improves some aspect of my drive or the capabilities of my vehicle.

Form follows function but things that function the best usually have the best form as well. So if the function isn't there, it usually looks tacky.

But to each his own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Schonuff said:
Just an opinion here and we all know the cliches about opinions but this tacky, stick-on stuff is lame. Its not just Subaru, its every car maker. I've even seen glued-on spoilers on a Mercedes Benz.

Give me something that serves an actual purpose. Something that improves some aspect of my drive or the capabilities of my vehicle.

Form follows function but things that function the best usually have the best form as well. So if the function isn't there, it usually looks tacky.

But to each his own.

Here you go… form and function.

"In this respect, STI’s engineers assisted the Motor Image product team to ensure that the additional items had a beneficial effect to performance, specifically aerodynamics. In this case, the bodykit is said to improve stability as there is less lift. And as lift is less, better handling can be expected though the benefits of such aerodynamic-influencing aids are usually apparent only above 110 km/h. Incidentally, the effectiveness of the bodykit was studied in the wind tunnel at Fuji Heavy Industries, which is the manufacturer of Subaru vehicles."


Original post.
www.motortrader.com.my/news/subaru-xv-sti-performance-edition
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Milwaukitout said:
So then is the OEM spoiler tacky as well? It has no other function except being aesthetic. I hear your point but disagree. I believe that STi spoiler looks good.
No, the OEM spoiler is there to keep rain off the back window while at speed. It serves no other purpose as the XV could never approach speeds that would require downforce (as the STI spoiler implies).

Its large enough to accomplish this task without being obtrusive. I think the OEM spoiler is quite attractive and one of the highlights of the design of our cars. The designers/engineers didn't feel the need to make it unnecessarily large.

I'm not going to hate on you for liking the STI wing if that's your preference. I guess I'm too used to dealing with the butthead side of the WRX crowd that thinks it'll add horsepower. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Milwaukitout said:
Here you go… form and function.

"In this respect, STI’s engineers assisted the Motor Image product team to ensure that the additional items had a beneficial effect to performance, specifically aerodynamics. In this case, the bodykit is said to improve stability as there is less lift. And as lift is less, better handling can be expected though the benefits of such aerodynamic-influencing aids are usually apparent only above 110 km/h. Incidentally, the effectiveness of the bodykit was studied in the wind tunnel at Fuji Heavy Industries, which is the manufacturer of Subaru vehicles."


Original post.
www.motortrader.com.my/news/subaru-xv-sti-performance-edition
This is marketing mumbo jumbo. But whatever sells parts I guess.

I would put money on these stick-on having a detrimental effect of MPG and that out-weighing any stability/aerodynamic benefits.

EDIT: you'd think if they were that worried about aerodynamics, they would've removed the roof rails. ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After speaking with my salesman about this mod, he felt the OEM black spoiler would look awful in the sun when the little blue flakes in the black would show. He is a fan of a khaki spoiler on a khaki XV and then hitting it with plasitdip for the black color. I am assuming with a perfect masking job it should not be too hard to accomplish?

So this will be my choice and I thank everyone for their inputs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Flat black against the khaki will look really good.

I'm wondering, since you'll be dipping it, if you couldn't go w/ the CBS spoiler and just hit it with a clear matte dip?

Either way... good luck. Make sure you post some pics of the final product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
DrDave said:
After speaking with my salesman about this mod, he felt the OEM black spoiler would look awful in the sun when the little blue flakes in the black would show. He is a fan of a khaki spoiler on a khaki XV and then hitting it with plasitdip for the black color. I am assuming with a perfect masking job it should not be too hard to accomplish?

So this will be my choice and I thank everyone for their inputs.
Great idea. Going with a flatter finish will help match it to the wheel well covers and the rest of the black on the car. Post some pictures!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I think the black would rock on khaki. I have it on my white. I have never seen any blue flakes in the black. I've seen some slightly silver, but not blue. I also put on the black grill.

I think your salesman was full of it frankly, black on khaki would look great.
 

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top