Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Curt Roof Rack (http://amzn.to/Vikcrf) during the Black Friday sale from Amazon and got it the other day. I was going to buy the Subaru Roof Rack but the Curt was on sale for $99 with free shipping compared to $339.00 for the Subaru version. So I figured I would at least give it a try and send it back if I did not like it.

The Curt is sturdy and has clamps with big wing nuts to connect to the cross bars. It was not too hard to get on the Crosstrek as long as you have another person to help you. The only issue I see is I may trim down the bolts that the wing nuts attach to with a Dremel to prevent it from gouging the bags I put in the rack. Which is a simple fix for sure. Even at the current $130.00 it is a great deal compared to the Subaru branded rack. There is also an optional rack extender ($60) I may purchase for those long trips - http://amzn.to/11NRCDQ.

Will post pictures once I get a chance to take some this week.

UPDATE: Put the rack back on to go fetch a X-Mas tree and filled the gas tank again. Going to do drive with the rack on for the whole tank to see how much the aerodynamic drag effects MPG performance. I have noticed there is only slight wind noise at higher speeds (80mph). Quite happy with how quite it is. The main issue I have is the plastic thumb screws to put on the rack. They can make your thumbs sore after installing it. Not sure how the competitors connect to the cross bars to compare.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Thanks for the review, man. I was looking into a roof rack for my outback sport for a while but since the Crosstrek was announced I kind of put any upgrades on the back burner. However, with this rack being so cheap maybe ill give it a try.

I look forward to pictures and further review!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah this rack should work on both since the clamps are more universal. I am seriously considering the extender to have in case I need the extra room since only $60 more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just an FYI, you may want to check over on the OUTBACK forum. Subie offered substantial discounts on the Yakima Mega Warrior rack (subie accessory though with subie name) for real cheap due to complaints over the roof rack. I got mine for about $25 when all was said and done. Point being, there may be members selling them as they sell their cars or just figuring they can make some money. Worth a shot.

Where are the pics........?!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow $25 is a sweet deal. Gotta put the rack back on for some pics I took off for daily commute. Launching a new web service product this week so pretty hectic. ;D

Will try to slap it back on tomorrow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
$25 is ridiculous! but if I cant find that then the Curt rack sounds like a good buy IF it holds up...i look forward to a review and some pics.

i am finally getting the crosstrek after the new year (as long as everything works out, which it should).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a Yakima roof rack on one of my old cars and it was awesome, loved having it. However, it DID cost about twice as much as the curt one you posted (if i remember correctly) so i am looking forward to seeing how you like it and how it holds up!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
jascha said:
UPDATE: Put the rack back on to go fetch a X-Mas tree and filled the gas tank again. Going to do drive with the rack on for the whole tank to see how much the aerodynamic drag effects MPG performance. I have noticed there is only slight wind noise at higher speeds (80mph). Quite happy with how quite it is. The main issue I have is the plastic thumb screws to put on the rack. They can make your thumbs sore after installing it. Not sure how the competitors connect to the cross bars to compare.

Thank you for the follow up, jascha. You said it doesn't add much, if any wind noise. I am curious as to how the Crosstrek is overall, without the roof rack. Some reviewers have commented about the car being very loud at highway speeds. Do you find that true, or are the reviewers just spoiled on high end, more luxurious cars?

I look forward to hearing how the rack affects MPG.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a week of monitoring the mileage the rack only trims off a little less than 1MPG on average compared to without it and corssbars.

As for the wind noise with no rack I had found it to be pretty quiet on the highway cruising at 80MPH. Not buying into what those reviewers are saying one bit. ;)

I chewed up a few of the plastic wing nuts and emailed Curt about replacements. They offered to send me ones free of charge so I would say they are a good company in terms of customer service as well.

Here are a few more pics:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ClubCrosstrek said:
Thank you for the follow up, jascha. If you have the moon roof, does the rack hang over a lot of it and obstruct the upwards view?
No moonroof on mine, but might partially if consider placement .

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
jascha said:
ClubCrosstrek said:
Thank you for the follow up, jascha. If you have the moon roof, does the rack hang over a lot of it and obstruct the upwards view?
No moonroof on mine, but might partially if consider placement .
Yeah, I figured. Not a big deal since the roof rack actually serves a purpose. That, and it can be removed at anytime pretty easily. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey guys,

I recently (Xmas) got the same curt rack for my XV. My gf bought it from amazon on Black Friday . I agree with the above review. It holds a lot of gear and my surfboards still attach well to it I just throw on pipe wrapping when I do so it doesn't get wax on it. Noise is noticeable but not a deal breaker . I have noticed about 1.5 mpg less at freeway speeds so far . But in 5--10 minutes can be removed if you need the extra mpg for some reason .

Overall great so far .

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mine doesn't have the moon roof so I'm not sure . I have had the rack on all week . I might only put it on if needed I did notice 2 mpg less with it on at 75mph on the freeways

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just filled up for the first time and thought i would share. I usually get between 29.5-30 mpg info 99% freeway. With the rack my average was 26- 27 . Dependingon speed .

·
Registered
74 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
Not bad at all. I need to get the crossbars then I will order the Curt rack.
I need to get crossbars still too, is there anywhere to get them cheaper than the Subaru dealer?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts