Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So, my brother and I are going to be building a brush guard. Bull bar. Whatever you want to call it. It will be similar to the primitive unit, seen here:

But there will be differences. The design itself will vary, but mostly, the mounting. I'm not too keen on taking a 1.5" drill bit the the front of my car yet. Call me crazy. So I need to find an alternative mounting method that isn't too terribly complicated, yet provides a sturdy, functional point. I haven't even taken the bumper off yet, but I'm hoping I can have two lower mounts that tie into the subframe where the primitive skid plates bolts to, and two upper mounts that'll go through the grille and mount SOMEWHERE.

It will be made primarily out of some 1"X1/2" rectangular tubing he has. He gets a bunch of spare scrap metal from his work.

We'll see where this project takes us. But be aware, this will be a slow process. We are both very busy with work, and he also has a 7 month old baby, so priorities will ALWAYS lie with my nephew.

I am free to any questions, comments, criticisms or suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
So I'm presuming you'll be trying to come up with a bolt-on design?

I'm looking forward to this build. I'm curious, what are going to be your design goals in terms of functionality? Will it only mount lights, or go further and be able to become a recovery point?

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I want a bolt on design.

As far as functionality, what I want and what will happen may end up being two very different things. I WANT to be able to use it as a recovery point, be able to take a hit, mount **** - maybe even a winch. But I won't know if that can happen until I start building it. The fact that primitive has a winch mount (albeit separate from the brush guard) tells me there's enough structural integrity back there for what I want. It just comes down to mounting it in the fashion I'd like (not putting fat holes in my bumper.)

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, took the bumper off today to have a look. I think I'll be able to do it exactly how I want it, without even breaking a sweat. I should be able to mount to the subframe through the lower grille, and then the crash beam/frame through the upper grille.

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the basic design I'm going for.

(Sorry about the multi-color design, my electrical tape supply is low.)

I want it as strong as possible here in the center where the license plate is so I can possibly mount a winch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the basic design I'm going for.

(Sorry about the multi-color design, my electrical tape supply is low.)

I want it as strong as possible here in the center where the license plate is so I can possibly mount a winch.

Sorry to bump this old thread. Were you ever able to complete this project? I really like what you had planned. I was looking for something that would also surround the headlights since I have run ins with deer that have done significant damage to the front of my car.

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to bump this old thread. Were you ever able to complete this project? I really like what you had planned. I was looking for something that would also surround the headlights since I have run ins with deer that have done significant damage to the front of my car.

Sadly, no. At the beginning of the year, I cracked my bumper along the seam for the lower grille. So I did the typical bumper cut. But I am actually having a bumper built this week finally.

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
He's been running without a front fascia for months now, but I don't recall if he got a bumper built and installed.

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Waiting on some final details to get finalized. The whole project has been a roller coaster, as the guy doing it is planning on making it a bolt on that can be sold, so it has to be able to be replicated. I will have pictures soon.

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Here is V1, as I have been rolling with for like a year. (I am god-awful at updating my threads, my apologies.)

Soon, V2 will be developed, with a more modular design. Stay tuned for that in the coming weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts